Payroll and HRIS

The Payroll Office's primary function is to ensure that administrators, faculty, staff and student workers receive prompt accurate payment for services performed. The Office will provide employees with payroll-related services in a courteous and professional manner.  Employees  with questions regarding their paycheck should contact our office or visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Pay Schedules


David Martinez
Director, Payroll / Human Resources Information Systems

Mallerlyn Flores
HR Information Systems / Payroll Project Manager

Lisa Tillmon
Payroll Manager

Karen Ann Whitton
Faculty Payroll Assistant

Rose Costales
Payroll Assistant

Yarlini Thiruvilangam
Human Resources Assistant

W2 Tax Form Online Instructions

Download instructions (PDF).

Web Time Sheet


  • See pay schedule on HR website.
  • Always click Save after entering hours, comments or making changes.
  • Submit time sheets on or before end of pay period (Saturday 11:59 p.m.).
  • Contact your supervisor if you need to make any changes after you have clicked the Submit button.
  • Remind your supervisor to approve your time sheet.
  • For help contact Payroll Office at 718-990-1471.

Begin Web Time Sheet

  • Logon to UIS and enter your ID and PIN.
  • Click the Employee tab.
  • Click the Time Sheet link.
  • Click the Access my Time Sheet button.
  • Click on the title and department button for your active job.
  • From the pay period drop down list, select the current pay period.
  • Click the time sheet button.

Entering Hours

  • Click on Enter Hours under the date worked and in the row for appropriate earning code.  Students can only enter Regular hours. 
  • Students will enter time in and out for the day.
  • Full-time Staff employees only enter total hours worked for the day.
  • Do not change the number in the shift box.
  • Click Save button.
  • Use copy button if you work the same hours and copy to one or more days.

Changing Hours
If you have not submitted your hours you can change hours anytime before the end of the pay period:

  • Click on the hours under the date you want to change.
  • Change the hours for the date
  • Click the Save button.

Entering Comments
You can enter comments on your time sheet to explain changes from your normal work schedule.  Your supervisor will see these comments and may also enter comments for you to view or for Payroll Staff.  Use the comments to explain hours owed or changes you are making from a previous pay period.

  • Click the Comments button on the Time Sheet page.
  • Enter your comments.
  • Click the Save button.

Submitting Time Sheet
The last step after you have entered all hours for the pay period is to submit your time sheet for approval. 

Failure to submit your time sheet will result in no hours and no pay for the pay period.

  • Click the Submit for Approval button
  • Enter your PIN on the Certification Statement page.  This is your last opportunity to go back and change any hours.
  • Click the Submit button.

Remember to close your web browser when you have completed your time sheet.

For additional assistance, please contact the Payroll Office at 718-990-1471.

Table of Contents

View complete Web Time Entry Guide (PDF)

View the Part-time Instructions (PDF).

View the Supervisor Instructions (PDF).

View the Troubleshooting Guide (PDF).

Frequently Asked Questions

Web Time Sheet is here!  This new web-based time reporting and approval process will be introduced to all University departments.  Each department will receive hands-on training prior to implementation.  Payroll staff will be available to answer questions and assist with any problems.  The web time sheet is accessible by login into the University Information System (UIS).

How will  Supervisors or Approvers know when to approve time sheets?
Approvers will follow the current bi-weekly pay schedule.  Time sheets can be approved as soon as they have been submitted by the employee.  However, all time sheets must be approved on or before the end of the pay period (Saturday).  Since the time sheet is being entered directly on-line Approvers have more time to electronically forward time sheet to Payroll.   They can monitor attendance and view their department work hours on-line.

What if my Approver is on vacation?
All Approvers are required to set up a Proxy who is authorized to approve time in the absence of the Approver.  Approvers must notify their Proxy when they need to approve time.  If the Proxy is not available, Approver must contact Payroll to approve time or submit paper time-sheet.

What if my Approver resigns or I transfer departments?
Any change in Approver status should be communicated to the Payroll Office.  
Payroll can overwrite the Approval process or assign a new approver.

What if I have more than one supervisor?
If you have two supervisors, one supervisor will be designated as Primary Approver and the other supervisor as FYI (For Your Information only).  Records are routed to the FYI supervisor for viewing only.  No approval is required by the FYI, since the Primary Approver or Proxy will approve all time reported.  

What do the new time sheets look like?
The format of the web time sheet looks different, but contains all the earning codes and employee information needed.  Additional information not currently found on the paper time sheet is also included to allow for more accurate time keeping.

Will all earning codes be listed?
All of the common earn codes applicable to non-exempt employees will be listed on the time sheet.  If you need to report time for a code not listed, contact your Payroll Office. 

How many past time sheets can I view as an employee?
At this time, we are only providing access to 3 months of time sheets. If requested, Payroll will provide you with previous months or years time sheets.  There is no need to print or store paper time sheets.   

Am I required to enter hours each day?
Yes, it is strongly recommended that employees record all hours on a daily basis.  By doing so, you will build a habit of entering time and supervisors can review attendance records daily.

What if I need to make a change to the time sheet?
Employees can make changes until the time sheet is submitted to the Approver.  If you have already submitted your timesheet, your Approver can either make the change for you or send it back to you for correction.  If the Approver has already approved the incorrect timesheet, contact the Payroll Office.

What if I submit my time sheet to my Approver on Friday and then work on Saturday?
Communicate with your Approver.  If the Approver has not yet approved your time sheet, the Approver can make the change for you or send it back to you for correction.  If it is past the pay period and too late for payroll to adjust, you can include the hours on the next timesheet with a comment to explain additional hours. 

What if employee is out sick when time sheets are due?
Contact your Approver and the Payroll Office.  Time sheets can be approved by Payroll with authorization from the Approver.

What if an employee is gone an entire payroll period?
Either contact Payroll to move the time sheet to the Approver, or complete a paper time sheet when you return. 

Can I submit my time-sheet at the beginning of the pay period?
Yes, you may submit your time before the end of the pay period if you will be out of the office when time sheets are due.  Notify your supervisor if you are submitting your time in advance.

How do I train new employees?
Web Time Sheet is very simple to use and training can be done from any web enabled computer.  We encourage all departments to train new employees as part of their department procedure; however, if necessary you may contact the Payroll Office for training.

Contact Information

For additional information or training, please contact:

David Martinez
[email protected]

Rose Costales
[email protected]

Helpful Tips

  • Check the Pay Schedule located above
  • Enter hours worked every day
  • Submit your hours on or before the due date
  • Remind your Supervisor to approve your hours
  • Contact Payroll Office if you have any problems

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Human Resources located?
The Office of Human Resources is located in University Center, Queens campus.

Where can I find open positions?
You may find open positions updated weekly by clicking on the Recruitment landing page.

What are the office hours at Human Resources?
Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

How do I correct or change my address information?
You can correct or make changes to your campus and mailing addresses online, by logging into UIS (Web for Employees).

What should I do if I cannot access Login UIS (Web for Employees) with my ID and password?
Please e-mail [email protected] for help.

What type of employee benefits does St. John’s offer?
St. John’s offers a rich array of benefits, from comprehensive health plans to generous time-off policies including:

  • POS (Point of Service) medical plan through Oxford Health Plans
  • Choice of dental plans including a POS plan through UMR and a DMO (Dental Maintenance Organization) offered through Aetna
  • 403(b) retirement plan with a choice of investments offered through TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments. The University provides a generous employer contribution to supplement your own savings.

See our complete list of benefit offerings.

Where can I find more information about the Benefit Plans that St. John’s offers?
You can view a summary of all the plans we offer, including details on what our medical plan offers and a comparison between our two dental plans, by accessing the Employee Benefits Program Booklet, a .pdf document that is available on the Employee Benefits website.

Who do I contact if I have a question regarding my medical, dental and other employee benefits? 
If you have a general question regarding employee benefits, you may contact Employee Benefits at 718-990-2363. For questions about specific claims, you will need to contact the carriers directly. Carrier contact information can be found on our website.

Who is eligible for benefits and when do my benefits become effective?
All full-time employees and certain employees on a reduced schedule (e.g.., “nine month employees”) are eligible for benefits. An employee’s benefits become effective on the first day of the month following the employee’s date of hire or on the first of the month if the employee’s date of hire is the first day of the month.

When can I make changes to my benefit plans?
You may change your benefit plan elections during our Open Enrollment Period (mid October through December.) Changes made during the Open Enrollment Period take effect on January 1.  Additionally, if you have a "Qualifying Event" (i.e., marriage, birth of child, spouse's loss of coverage with his/her employer), you may change your benefit elections by notifying Employee Benefits in writing within 31 days of the Event. Please call Employee Benefits for more details on Qualifying Events.

Note: You may be able to make changes to some benefit plans outside of open enrollment or absent a qualifying event. Please contact a Benefits Representative at 718-990-2363 for further details.

Where do I access Benefits forms such as medical claim forms, flexible spending reimbursement forms, and salary reduction agreements for the retirement plan?
You may access these and many other benefit forms by visiting this Benefit Forms page on St. John's University Web site.

Where can I find group number information for our insurance plans, claim form mailing addresses, links to insurance carriers, and summary plan descriptions?
You may access this information by visiting this Benefits page on page on St. John's University Web site.

How do I request a medical leave?
You should first notify your supervisor of your intent to take a medical leave. After notifying your supervisor please contact the Benefits Office at ex: 2020 at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the leave if foreseeable. The Benefits Office will send the employee all appropriate paperwork that must be completed by the employee’s physician.

Additional information on leaves may be found in the Employee Handbook and in the Leaves section of the Human Resources Policy Manual for Staff and Administrators (the policy manual is located on MySJU). Faculty members may refer to the leaves section in the Collective Bargaining Agreement for further information.

How do I enroll in the University’s 403(b) Retirement Plan and/or how do I make changes to my plan if I am already enrolled?
You can enroll in the plan at any time by completing a Salary Reduction Agreement (located on the Benefit Forms page) and submitting it to the Employee Benefits Office. You will also need to complete an enrollment application for the carrier (TIAA-CREF, Fidelity Investments) of your choice. Links to all of our carriers’ websites can be found on the Benefits homepage.

If you are already enrolled in the plan and you would like to change the amount you have deducted from your paycheck, you may do so by completing a new salary reduction agreement and submitting it to the Employee Benefits Office. Please note that you may only make changes to a salary reduction agreement once every calendar quarter.

If you would like to change how your money is allocated within the investment choices of your carrier, please contact your carrier directly. You may make unlimited changes to allocations at anytime.

How much money can I contribute to my retirement plan and does the University also contribute to my plan?
You may contribute through payroll deductions a percentage of your before-tax salary, up to the IRS annual maximum limit.  For 2014, this amount is $17,500 if you are under age 50.  If you are age 50 or older, you can take advantage of the increased opportunity to “catch up” and contribute $23,000 for 2014.  Rollovers from another employer’s retirement plan may also be allowed.

The University provides a generous employer contribution to supplement employee’s own savings. Staff and administrators hired prior to July 1, 2010, or who have an adjusted service date prior to July 1, 2010: This policy indicates a one-year waiting period and minimum age of 26 to receive a 10% employer contribution, provided the employee contribution is at least five percent. Additionally, employees must opt-in to participate. Staff and Administrators hired on or after July 1, 2010 and for Law school and contract faculty hired on or after October 1, 2012: Upon completion of one year of service, an employee is eligible to receive a University contribution of five percent of his/her base salary, provided the employee contributes a minimum of five percent of his/her base salary to one of the plan options. After the five-year anniversary of employment, the St. John’s University contribution increases to 10 percent, provided the employee contribution is at least five percent. There is no minimum age requirement. Employees will be automatically enrolled when he/she becomes eligible for the employer contribution, unless the employee chooses to opt-out of such enrollment. Please contact the Benefits Department at 718-990-2363 for additional information.

St. John’s is pleased to announce that effective January 1, 2014, you now may elect to contribute all or a portion of your salary deferrals to a Roth 403(b). With this new Roth option, contributions are made with after-tax dollars so the savings in your Roth plan, and any earnings, will be tax free at withdrawal, providing you with important tax benefits when you may need them most.

What happens to my benefits when my employment with St. John’s University ends?
If you leave the University your benefits will end at the end of the month following your last physical day worked (e.g. if your last physical day worked was November 14th your benefits would end November 30th). You may be eligible to continue your benefits at your own expense under COBRA. You will be mailed information regarding your COBRA rights from our billing company, Discovery Benefits Inc. upon ending your employment with the University.
Retirement: If you meet the University’s criteria to be considered a retiree (please see the Human Resources Policy Manual in MySJU, or the Collective Bargaining Agreement for Faculty) you may be entitled to continue your benefits at the University group rates at your own expense for as long as you wish. Please contact the Benefits Office at 718-990-2363 to notify us if you will b

How do I find out my title, grade and salary range?
Have a discussion with your supervisor or manager.  He/she has this information and it can be shared with you.  If your supervisor or manager does not have the information, ask him/her to contact the Compensation Department.

What forms do I need to complete to request new positions, process salary changes, and make other personnel changes?
Use the following forms, which are accessible online, for the personnel and salary actions listed:

  • NOV (Notice of Vacancy Form)
    Vacant Position
    New Position
  • PCF (Personnel Change Form)
    Title/Grade Changes
    Salary Adjustments, Promotions
    Department and Budget Code Changes
    New Hire

These forms should be sent to your department’s Human Resources Services Director. If you are unsure as to whom that is, please call 718-990-1502 for assistance.

What is a Position Description?
A summary of the most important and essential functions of the job.

How do I prepare a Position Description?
A Position Description template is available for direct input on the HR Forms web page.  Once you complete the template, you can send it in electronic form and/or print out the description.  If you require assistance to complete the position description, please contact the Compensation Office or the Human Resources Services area at ext. 1502.

What is a Position Evaluation?
The Compensation Office performs an evaluation by researching and compiling data to determine market value of internal positions.

When should a supervisor request a Position Evaluation from Human Resources?
Position evaluations should be requested from HR for the following reasons:

  • Job responsibilities have significantly changed in a current position.
  • You wish to upgrade/downgrade a vacant existing position.
  • You wish to promote an employee.
  • You wish to establish a new position.
  • Reorganization within a department/unit

Important: Before a supervisor requests a position evaluation, the supervisor should obtain prior approval from his/her Vice President to ensure there is support for such request.

How do I request a position evaluation?

  • Contact your Human Resources Services Director. If you are unsure as to whom that is, please contact 718-990-1502 for assistance.
  • Provide the position description and any supporting documentation you may have. For example, the following items are very helpful in conducting evaluations:
    • Organization Chart
    • Professional Compensation Study
    • Background/History
  • The Compensation Office will conduct a position evaluation and provide you with our findings and recommendation.
  • Submit a Personnel Change Form (PCF) to the Human Resources Services Department once you receive department approval.
  • Notify the employee only after you have received the proper approvals.

What factors are considered during a position evaluation?
Positions are evaluated using any combination of:

  • Market Data
  • Published survey data
  • Informal telephone surveys
  • Online survey data
  • Internal Data
  • Review of similar positions within department and organization
  • Job Content
  • Responsibilities, skills, experience level, reporting relationship, etc.
  • Position Description Review
  • Knowledge, experience, complexity, impact, communication with others, direction/supervision of others, privy to confidential information
  • Please refer to Compensation Policy #302 (Job Evaluation) in the HR Policy Manual for additional details.

What types of compensation programs are available to administrators and staff? 
There are three programs through which administrators and staff may receive merit increases and other recognition rewards, all of which are processed through the Compensation Department:

  • Merit increases are awarded based upon an employee’s job performance, as outlined in the Partnership for Performance (PFP) program.  To be eligible, an employee’s performance must meet or exceed expectations.  Other factors that influence the merit increase allocation may include internal equity and salary positioning within the current salary range.  Merit increase budget considerations include the University’s overall performance (student enrollment & financial condition) and benchmarking of peer schools. Please refer to Policy #303 (Merit Review) in the HR Policy Manual for additional details.
  • Exceptional Performance Awards (EPA) are designed to reward exceptional performance displayed throughout the year, encourage on-going exceptional performance levels by an individual, retain outstanding talent, and encourage support of institutional goals. This program is intended for the top 25% of the University’s high performers. Merit increases and EPAs are generally awarded each year during October.  The EPA Recommendation form is available on the HR Forms web page. Please refer to Policy #305 (Exceptional Performance Awards) in the HR Policy Manual for additional details.

Special Recognition Awards (SRA) are designed to immediately acknowledge and reward an employee or group of employees for “special” accomplishment(s) achieved, inspire others to put forth effort above and beyond the normal job duties, and encourage employees to support and advance institutional goals. These awards typically take the form of cash, and an employee may earn more than one SRA per year.  To be eligible, employees must be meeting job expectations as defined in the Partnership for Performance process.  Awards are tiered based upon the impact level and reflection of institutional goals and values.  Forms are available on the HR Forms web page.  Please refer to Policy #304 (Special Recognition Awards) in the HR Policy Manual for additional details.

What is Employee Relations? 
Employee Relations and Compliance is the department within Human Resources that enforces the University’s Policy against Discrimination and Harassment (Policy #704).  The Policy is intended to provide for the prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging discrimination and harassment. 
Employee Relations also handles all immigration matters for our employees both locally and abroad and ensures employment compliance for international sites.  The function facilitates the relationship with our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), a benefit that provides free, confidential assistance to employees experiencing personal issues affecting their work performance.  The function is also responsible for risk mitigation through ongoing training, communications, internal audits, and proactive adherence to federal, state and local laws and regulations, including oversight for University-wide Title IX compliance. 

Where can I find the University's Policy against Discrimination and Harassment and Related Complaint Procedures (Policy # 704)?
This policy can be found in the Employee Handbook, in the Human Resources Policy Manual on MySJU, in the Student Handbook, and is also linked on the Employee Relations and Compliance page of the Human Resources Web site.

Policy #704 prohibits “legally protected” status from discrimination and harassment. What if I’m feeling harassed or uncomfortable, but I’m not sure if it’s based on a “legally protected” status? 
You should raise any behavior that makes you feel uncomfortable or harassed. A subsequent investigation may find that the behavior isn’t addressed in policy #704 as harassment or discrimination, but is still problematic behavior and not tolerated on our campus. Such behavior may be addressed by your immediate supervisor, department head, faculty department Chair or Dean, Dean of Student Life or member of HR Services, as appropriate.

What should I do if I have a complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment?
The University’s Policy against Discrimination and Harassment and Related Complaint Procedures (Policy #704) addresses ways to report a complaint. You can also contact the Employee Relations and Compliance office directly at 718-990-2660/1400.

I’m not ready to discuss this; can I wait a while?
You decide when you are ready to discuss the incident or behavior that is making you uncomfortable. The sooner you raise your concern and address the situation, however, the easier it will be to resolve it. Note that if you decide to file a formal complaint, it must be filed within 60 days of the harassing or discriminatory behavior.

Do I have to try to stop the behavior myself, first?
If you are comfortable speaking to the individual whose behavior is offensive, of course you may do so. Many people don’t realize that their behavior, jokes or comments are offensive and will stop it and even apologize!  If speaking to an individual doesn’t stop the behavior, or if you don’t feel comfortable approaching the individual (or group of individuals), then seek help from Employee Relations and Compliance.

How will I know that anyone will believe me if I speak up?
Good faith complaints are looked into to determine the facts. Remember that anyone raising a concern or filing a complaint is protected by law from retaliation.

What can I expect when I contact Employee Relations and Compliance? 
Contact us to schedule an appointment to discuss your situation. We normally set aside an hour to speak with you. When you visit us, we will ask you to describe your situation and your view of what happened.

Employee Relations is available to provide guidance and will keep information received in consultation confidential to the fullest extent possible and as allowed by law.  Discretion will be used by Employee Relations staff in communicating sensitive information and individuals receiving the information will be urged to use discretion in order to protect the person who reported the situation to the fullest extent possible.

Retaliation against any person who reports a situation that is then referred for investigation is prohibited and will not be tolerated.  Acts of retaliation should be reported to Employee Relations immediately.

What is the Employee Assistance Program?
The EAP is a free, confidential benefit designed to help full-time faculty, administrators and staff and their household or family members handle life’s challenges successfully – from routine concerns to major crises.  Our EAP is a holistic life service with something for everyone - from traditional counseling for personal stress to legal and financial consultation, to referrals related to caregiving, substance abuse, adoption services, and everyday needs.  For more information, visit Work-Life Programs on the Human Resources website, or go directly to the EAP vendor web site at (login with company code: STJOHNS).

How can I get in touch with an EAP counselor?
Professionals who work for Corporate Counseling Associates, our service-provider, are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by calling the help line at (800) 833-8707.  In-person counseling can be scheduled at convenient locations locally and nationwide. All appointments with a counselor must be made in advance by calling the help line or using the website at (login with company code: STJOHNS).  All meetings with a professional counselor are confidential.

What is HR Services?
HR Services is the initial HR point of contact for all employees.  The HR Services team provides support to employees and managers throughout their employment life cycle at St. John’s University from recruiting, performance management and talent management through separation of employment.

Employees should contact their HR Services representative when they need assistance with matters such as: understanding a policy, managing staff, reorganizing their department or staffing structure to meet changing needs; recruiting for new employees or replacing departing employees; managing their own performance and development, or managing their staff’s performance and development; planning for an employee’s separation from the University, etc.  The HR Services representative assigned to your department will work with you directly, and with our colleagues within HR to help you in a timely manner.

Who are the HR Services Representatives?

  • Nancy Santos – Call for assistance if you work in an Academic College, Provost Office, Institutional Advancement or the President’s Office. Contact [email protected] or 718-990-2445.
  • Cynthia Fico Simpson – Call for assistance if you work in the Operations or Mission sectors, HR or IR. Contact [email protected] or 718-990-6333.
  • Karen Crowley – Call for general assistance on all HR matters. Contact [email protected] or 718- 990-1502.
    Below are some Frequently Asked Questions we hear often in HR Services. Please give us a call if you have a question that is not addressed here.

Questions About New Employee Orientation

Employee Questions

When is Orientation?
The Human Resources department schedules New Hire Orientation monthly. You will be invited to attend a session within your first two months on the job.

What is the purpose of Orientation?
The purpose of Orientation is to introduce new employees to working at St. John’s and review employee benefits, essential policies, campus safety and address questions.

What topics are covered during the session?
Orientation sessions last four (4) hours and cover topics ranging from your employee benefits and time off to performance management, your safety, campus services, essential policies, and professional development.

Manager Questions

Why is it important that my new hire attend an Orientation session provided by Human Resources?
At this session, new employees will be introduced to the Employee Handbook and we will review with them essential University policies, employee benefits, campus services and safety information. They will have an opportunity to learn about St. John’s and ask questions.

How can I help my new employee learn about the St. John's culture?
Make sure your employee attends the New Hire Orientation program run monthly by Human Resources. New employees learn about St. John's culture and history, mission, vision and goals and many other essential topics during the session.

What else should I do to help my new employee succeed?
Make sure you provide the necessary department or job-specific orientation to help your employee succeed. Introduce him/her to PFP and set objectives for the first three months on the job. In addition, make sure your employee registers for required employee training and encourage him/her to explore the professional development workshops offered by Human Resources. Visit Training and Development on the web to learn more.

Questions About Performance Management

Employee Questions
Is there a formal performance review process?
Yes. All full-time and part-time staff and administrators participate in the University’s performance management system.  We call our annual review system Partnership for Performance (PFP). The performance cycle runs June through May and allows employees and managers to establish job expectations and monitor and evaluate performance.

How do I find out more about PFP?
Each year, you and your supervisor will set your Objectives and review values and competencies.  During the cycle there is a mid-point check in halfway through the year and a formal review at year-end.  Make sure to attend a PFP training session, review the PFP forms on MySJU and contact your HR representative if you have questions. Visit the Training and Development website and link to the Workshops Calendar to register for an upcoming PFP Employee Briefing. Read more about performance management in the Employee Handbook.

How will I know if I am performing my job well?
Make sure you understand the performance objectives that you and your manager set at the beginning of the year. Meet with your manager whenever you have concerns.  Ask for feedback regularly. If you haven’t done so, attend a PFP employee session for tips and information about the performance management process. Visit the Training and Development website and link to the Workshops Calendar to register.  Talk with your HR Services Representative if you need more assistance.  Read more about performance management in the Employee Handbook.

Manager Questions
What do I do when my employee is not meeting expectations?
Start communicating with your employee about how expectations are not being met. Provide examples. Be clear about what needs to get done and what is expected by when. If you haven’t already communicated the employees performance objectives, communicate what is expected and provide a copy of documented expectations weighted by priority. Attend the “PFP For Supervisors” training program. Contact your HR Services Representative. Review policy #202 in the HR Policy Manual on MySJU.

My employee has been out sick for the past 3 Mondays, what should I do?
Talk to your employee and explain that you’re concerned about a pattern of absences that’s developed over the past 3 weeks. Explain why a pattern is concerning. Offer feedback. Refer to the University’s Corrective Action policy in the HR Policy Manual (located on MySJU). Contact HR Services if the problem persists and you need guidance about how to handle.
NOTE: You should not discuss confidential information about an employee’s medical condition or treatment plan and instead immediately refer the employee to a representative from the Benefits Department.

How should I handle issues with my employee’s performance?
Contact HR Services regarding any issues related to an employee.  We are available for guidance/coaching to discuss, by phone or in person, any issues you may be experiencing in order to resolve in the best manner possible.  There are several policies and resources available to assist employees, such as the Corrective Action policy, as well as the EAP program.

Questions About Recruiting and Talent Management

I’m a hiring manager – Who do I contact regarding an open position and what paperwork should I complete so that the recruiting process can begin? 
Contact HR Services regarding whether it is a new or replacement position.  If the position has been newly created (and never existed at the University before), please submit a Notice of Vacancy (NOV) with all required signatures* and an electronic version of the job description.  Once submitted it will be reviewed by our Compensation department and then forwarded to our Recruitment department to post the position.  If it is a replacement position, we also need an NOV indicating who the position is replacing and the electronic version of the job description.  However, if the job has been modified in any manner, please consult with your HR Generalist first.  If an employee is being promoted or transferred into a position, please submit a PCF with the NOV.  Find all HR forms on our website.

I’m a hiring manager – What approvals are necessary to fill a job?

  • With a newly created position, approval from your department head and sector head will be required along with an agreement between the Provost and President, in most cases. You can complete a Notice of Vacancy form (NOV) and Controlled Hiring Process Business Rationale for submission to your Sector head. This background information will be considered in a discussion between the Sector Head, Provost and President. The approval process could vary. Please contact HR Services for guidance.  Find all HR forms on our website.
  • With a replacement position, the approval process could vary, but in many cases will replicate the process described above. Please contact HR Services for guidance.

I’m an SJU employee and I’d like to apply for a position in another department. What should I do?
All employees who have worked in their current job for at least one year and have met job expectations are eligible to apply for other positions at the University. Please refer to the University policy on Transfers in the Employee Handbook, or view job openings on the Employee Career Portal, available through MySJU. You may also contact your HR Representative to discuss your career goals, interests, current role, etc.

I’m a manager and my employee is leaving in four weeks. What should I do?
See below under “Separation from Employment”

I am a department manager - I need to figure out how to reassign employees to accomplish new goals the department has. Can I do that?
Yes, and HR Services can work with you. Contact your HR Services representative to discuss a comprehensive and effective strategy for addressing your needs.

General Employee Information

Employment Verification (Reference Check): What should I do if I receive a call to verify employment for an active or former employee?
Refer to HR policy #121 in the HR Policy Manual on MySJU. It is the University's policy to verify only job title and dates of employment. Salary information will be verified only with the employee's written authorization and signature. It is against University policy for supervisors, managers or other employees to provide references or verifications for SJU employees. If you get a call or receive a fax requesting employment verification, please refer the call as follows:

  • Staff and Administrators - refer caller to HR Services at 718-990-1502
  • Full-time Faculty and GA's - refer caller to Faculty Records at 718-990-5946
  • Adjunct Faculty, Professional Tutors and Workshop Supervisors – refer caller to Faculty Records at 718-990-1513
  • Student Worker inquiries - forward to Recruitment at 718-990-2497

Employee File / Personnel File: Can I see what’s in my employee file?
Yes. Current employees may contact HR Services to make an appointment to review their personnel file.  The University is not obligated to provide you with copies of the contents of your file, but you may take notes during your file review.  Find more information on our policy in the Employee Handbook

Leaving The University: What should I do when someone on my staff resigns?
Call HR Services as soon as possible. You can then prepare a PCF indicating the number of accrued, unused vacation days payable to the employee. This number is equivalent to the number of vacation days accrued thus far less the number of vacation days taken. If there is a negative balance, that is if the employee has taken more days than he/she has accrued that year, then the employee will ‘owe’ the University for those vacation days that were taken in advance of accrual. Once the PCF is prepared, you will submit that to HR Services with the employee’s resignation letter. HR Services will schedule an exit interview and request the departing employee to complete an online exit interview survey that will be discussed with the employee during the exit meeting.

When an employee leaves, what do I do with his/her keys, equipment, ID Cards and Parking Pass?
Keys and parking passes should be returned to Public Safety. The ID card should be sent to the Storm Card Center with a note explaining that the employee has terminated. All computer and telecommunication equipment that belongs to the University (such as laptop, pager, cell phone, etc) should be retrieved from the employee and kept in the department or returned to Information Technology, as appropriate. If you need access to your former employee’s hard drive or email, please contact HR Services who will then work with IT. On the last day of work, the employee should set-up an outgoing message on their email and phone which includes department contact information for business purposes.

What happens with the information that is collected during the Exit Interviews?
Responses to the Exit Interview Questionnaire are maintained in a confidential file. Responses are tracked on an aggregate department-level basis for the purpose of assessing trends to strengthen employee retention efforts.

What should I do to get the work done when my employee leaves?
There are several measures you can take to prepare your staff when a member of the team is leaving the University. For one thing, it’s important to reassign responsibilities to others on an interim basis, create a coverage plan, have the departing employee document processes or steps to getting his/her work done, etc. Be proactive so that there is a smooth transition and all can handle the work ongoing.

Questions About Employee Training & Development

My employee needs to learn how to… (fill in the blank). Are there any training classes offered for that?
The HR Training & Development department offers programs internally and coordinates various kinds of training externally. Please refer to the T&D workshops calendar on the web and on MySJU or contact HR Services to discuss the training needs. HR Services will work closely with T&D on your behalf. If it a technical skill your employee requires, the Information Technology department offers technology workshops open to employees – visit E-Studio on the web for more information and to view the training calendar.

I am a supervisor – My new employee is not performing well and not meeting expectations. I might have hired the wrong person.
Refer to HR policy #201 Orientation Period, which addresses new employees and performance.  The HR Policy Manual is found on MySJU.  If your new employee’s performance concerns you, please contact HR Services for guidance.

My employee has other opportunities outside of St. John’s. What should I do to keep her here at St. John’s?
Contact your HR Services Representative to discuss different options within your department or the University. Review the Employee Handbook information on Opportunities for Growth and Development for ideas to use with your employee.

Other questions about Training and Development may be answered on the Training and Development FAQ’s page.

Employee Benefits

How do I know if I am eligible for Tuition Remission?
All full time administrators and staff are eligible for Tuition Remission. To determine when you are eligible for tuition remission, please refer to the HR Policy Manual, Policies 608A and 608AA.  To determine when a spouse, qualifying children or eligible designee of full-time administrators and staff are  eligible to receive this benefit, please refer to the HR Policy Manual, Policies 608B and 608BB. You can apply for these benefits online each semester via the St. John’s login UIS system. Guidelines for staff and administrators are located in the HR Policy manual, Policies 608A and 608AA guidelines for spouse and dependents are located in Policies 608B and 608BB. For all Financial Aid inquiries, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 718-990-5745. For any eligibility questions, call HR Services at 718-990-1502.

How many vacation days do I accrue each month?
During the first five years of employment, staff employees accrue vacation days at a rate of .83 days per month, a total of 10 days per year. Staff employees with greater than 5 years of employment, should refer to the Employee Handbook for their accrual rate. Administrators accrue vacation days at 1.83 days per month, a total of 22 days per year. New employees begin accruing vacation in the month of their first paycheck. To request a vacation day, both staff and administrators, must complete a Vacation Request Form and obtain prior approval.

For more information, please refer to the University Policy Manual.

What is the social security wage base ?
According to the Social Security Administration, the wage base limit changes each year as per the national average wage index. The tax rate for wages paid in the current year is set by statute at 6.2% for employees and employers, each. There is no limit on wages subject to Medicare tax (1.45%).  In addition, wages over $200,000 will be subject to an additional 0.9% Medicare tax.

Why are my earnings and benefits for 1997 not complete on Web for Employees?
In July 1997, the University converted all our Payroll data from our then payroll service provider ADP to an in-house system. The data from ADP for calendar year 1997 was posted as one total. Therefore, only one amount will be shown for January to June of 1997.

How are my federal taxes calculated?
Federal taxes for most wages are determined by marital status and number of dependents. Payroll uses a tax table provided by the Internal Revenue Service to calculate wages. Employees can increase or reduce their federal tax by updating this information via our self-service option in UIS or MySJU.  Please note, severance and bonus wages are calculated based on a flat percentage rate.

How is Graduate tuition and tuition for non-dependents taxed?

Please see our FAQ on Taxable Tuition Benefits.


How can I get Direct Deposit of my paycheck?
Direct deposit is available to all employees. With direct deposit your paycheck is deposited into your bank account. This is the safest and fastest way to receive your payment. There is no cost and you can choose any bank. For more information on this free benefit, contact the Payroll office, sign-up via UIS or MySJU.

Who is responsible for maintaining my sick and vacation time balances?
Sick and vacation time is accrued differently, depending on your classification and length of service. (Refer to Policy Manual for specific accrual methods). It is the responsibility of both the employee and the department to maintain records of vacation and sick time balances for all eligible employees. The Payroll Office can verify time used and accrued time when the employee leaves the University.

When I terminate my employment, will I receive any sick and vacation time I have accrued?
You will be paid only for unused accrued vacation time.

W-2 Frequently Asked Questions

What is the W2?
Form W2 is the Wage and Tax Statement issued by St. John’s University (employer) to all employees. The form reports all income and tax withheld for the calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

What other tax forms will I receive from St. John’s?
You may also receive from the Payroll Office a 1042-S tax form. This form is issued to foreign persons with income subject to withholding.

In addition, the Business Affairs Office distributes 1099-MISC for miscellaneous income and 1098-T form for tuition payments. For more information on these forms, please contact the Business Affairs Office at 718-990-2406.

How is the information on the W2 used?
STJ is required to submit W2 information to the Social Security Administration and all taxes withheld to the IRS. The employee is responsible for filing with the IRS and State taxing authority his/her income tax. Four copies of the W2 are issued to each employee.

Why do the year-to-date gross wages on my paycheck not match the Box 1 wages on my W2?
The wages reported in box 1 include only taxable gross wages. You must add all pre-tax deduction such as medical, dental, flex plan, and 403(b) contributions. In addition, if you had any taxable life or tuition remission you must subtract these amounts to calculate your actual gross wages.

You are only responsible for reporting the amount in box 1 when filing your personal federal income tax.

How much tax did I actually pay?
The amount of federal income tax withheld from your calendar earnings is reported in box 2. Your state income tax withheld is reported in box 17. If you were a New York City resident for any part of the calendar year, your local income tax withheld is reported in box 19.

How is my tax calculated?
The amount of federal income tax withheld from every payroll check is based on what you elected as your filing status and the number of withholding exemptions you claim.  This information is taken from the completed W4 form typically submitted at the time of hire. The form can be updated at any time by completing a new W4. The new W4 form replaces a previous completed form and will remain in effect until another form is completed and submitted to the Payroll Department. Post dated forms are not accepted.
If your W2 form does not include an amount in box 2, you may review your filing status and the number of withholding allowances you are claiming and determine if changes are necessary.

When will I receive my W2 form?
W2 statements must be issued or mailed to employees on or before the 31st of January. Due to the large number of W2 produced, we typically mail the forms over a 3 day period based on last name.  For faster access you can view and print your W2 via MySJU.

What is Advance EIC payment (box 9)?
Advance earned income credit allows eligible employees with a qualified dependent (child or children) with income under the maximum limit established by the Internal Revenue Service to receive a monetary amount with every scheduled payroll check versus applying for a tax credit once a year when filing his/her federal income tax return.

Eligible employees must complete a W5 - Earned Income Credit Form and submit it to Payroll Department. The W5 will remain valid throughout the calendar year that it is completed and must be renewed every year to continue participation.

The W5 form can be found in the Human Resources Office (CCK building) or the IRS website

What is code E in box 12?
Code E is the elective deferrals for your 403(b) salary reduction agreement.
Under IRS section 403(b), the IRS allows for certain employee paid deductions for the purpose of retirement to be excluded from federal taxable wages.

What is code C in box 12?
Code C is the taxable cost of group-term life insurance.  This cost is considered imputed income. If your employer paid life insurance is over the $50,000 limit, the amount over the limit is taxable and reported in boxes 1, 3 and 5.

What is imputed income?
IRS requires that certain items, provided by the employer, be reported as taxable compensation. Examples are taxable tuition benefits, certain types of moving expenses, and a portion of employer-paid group term life insurance.

Why does the amount in Box 1 (federal taxable wages) not match Box 3 (social security taxable wages) and/or Box 5 (Medicare taxable wages)? Why does Box 3 not match Box 5?
Each tax has a different calculation for taxable wages:

  • Box 1 = Total Compensation minus pre-tax deductions, 403(b) deductions and imputed income. (No maximum)
  • Box 3 = Total Compensation minus pre-tax deductions and imputed income. (see current social Security wage base)
  • Box 5 = Total Compensation minus pre-tax deductions and imputed income. (No maximum)

How do I report my dependent care (box 10) from my W2?
Refer to IRS Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, for instructions on how to report this information on your tax return. For additional information, contact your tax preparer or the IRS.

Can I view my W2 online?
After January 15, you can view your W2 on-line using MySJU

What do I do if my address is wrong on my W2?
An incorrect address does not invalidate your W2 and does not require a corrected W2. 
However, you should notify the Payroll Office or update this information via our Employee Self-Service on MySJU.  
All employees can update and view personal and pay information including current and past W2s on-line using the Employee Self-Service on MySJU.

Login to MySJU:
When the Logon page displays,

  1. Type your email address and Password, then click Login button.
  2. Click on UIS tab.
  3. Click on quick links on right-hand side or UIS Main Menu.

How do I request a reprint of my W2 because I did not receive it in the mail, lost it, or accidentally destroyed it?
If you are no longer employed,  call 718-990-1865 and select Payroll Office.  A Payroll Representative will assist you. Replacement forms will be reprinted and mailed to you or you may pick-up the form in the Payroll Office. W2s will be reprinted on the 15th of each month.  Due to the sensitive nature of information found on the W2 no form can be faxed or sent to a third party.

When can I ask for a reprint of my W2?
Your request may be submitted at any time after February 15. We will begin processing reprint requests the third week of February.  Please note, for active employees W2s can be viewed and reprinted on-line via Employee Self-Service on MySJU.

Who do I contact if I think my W2 is wrong?
Please call 718-990-1865 and select Payroll Office.  A Payroll Representative will assist you. 

Where can I find out about University policies that affect my employment?
The Human Resources Policy Manual for Staff and Administrators is online is the supervisor's resource for policy information. The Employee Handbook is a practical reference guide that contains the policy summaries and employment information that pertain to all University staff and administrators. 

What information is in the HR Policy Manual?
The manual contains policy information for administrators and staff in the following areas: Employment; Employee Training, Development, and Performance Management; Compensation; Time Off; Leave; Benefits; Employee Relations; Work Environment; Information Technology; and Operating/Administrative policies. 

Are Tuition Remission Benefits taxable?
Please refer to the following policies 608A, 608AA, 608B and 608-BB. In addition, this link to Frequently Asked Questions sheet can answer most questions about taxable tuition benefits. 

I am a faculty member; does the Human Resources Policy Manual apply to me?
No. The manual was written primarily for staff and administrators. There are some policies in the manual, however, that also apply to faculty, such as the Policy against Discrimination and Sexual Harassment. The “Scope” at the beginning of each policy identifies who is covered. For HR policies that apply specifically to faculty members, expand the HR Policies for Faculty tab at the bottom of the policy page. If you are a faculty member who supervises administrative or staff employees, you should familiarize yourself with all the policies in the Manual for staff and administrators, not just the faculty policies. 

How are employees notified of new policies or policy updates?
Office of Human Resources updates existing policies and develops new policies year round and posts them to the HR Policy Manual. Once an update or new policy has been approved, it is posted to the HR Policy Manual online, and can be easily referenced from the Recent Policy Updates tab located at the bottom of the page. New policies and significant policy updates are also announced in the quarterly Employee Newsletter and in [email protected] The Employee Handbook online is updated regularly to reflect current policies and related employment information.

What is the role of the Policy Review Committee and who are the members?
The Policy Review Committee represents broad University leadership, and includes: the Provost; Executive Vice President for Mission and Branch Campuses; General Counsel; the Senior Vice President for Human Resources; the University Title IX Coordinator and Director of Employee Relations and Compliance; and the Manager of Policy Development and Employee Communications. The Committee's purpose is to review and approve University policies affecting administrators and staff for inclusion in the Human Resources Policy Manual. The Committee is also involved in policy development efforts and policy revisions.

Do the online HR Policy Manual and Employee Handbook replace the hard copy versions?
Yes. The online resources contain the most comprehensive and current policies that apply to staff and administrators. Please discard old hard copies or return them to the Office of Human Resources.

What do I do if I have questions about something that is written in the Human Resources Policy Manual?
A “Responsible Office” is designated in the header of each policy. The office identified is responsible for administering that policy, and is the one you should contact if you have questions. General questions can be directed to HR Services at 718-990-1502.

Who do I contact to suggest a new policy or policy revision or if I find an error?
You are encouraged to discuss suggestions with your supervisor first. He or she may have valuable thoughts and input. You can also contact the office responsible for such a policy. If you notice an error in a policy, please contact HR Services at 718-990-1502.

Who do I contact if I disagree with a policy?
You are encouraged to discuss your disagreement with your supervisor first. If you do not feel that you have been able to resolve your issues in this way, you should follow the procedures listed in the Complaint Resolution policy, #701.

What is a Training and Development certificate and how will earning a certificate benefit me?
The St. John's Office of Human Resources provides employees with significant professional development enhancement through three Training and Development certificate programs. The programs consist of a curriculum of Core and Elective workshops that employees must complete in order to graduate. At a special graduation ceremony held every two years, employees who have successfully completed the requirements of a certificate program are formally recognized and awarded a framed Certificate of Completion and a personalized plaque.

The three program tracks include a Professional Development Certificate for staff and administrators, a Management Development Certificate for managers and a Continuing Education Certificate for any manager, administrator, or staff member who has completed the requirements of the other two certificates.  The certificate programs support the University’s strategic goal to build an organization of strong leaders where faculty, administrators and staff are enabled, motivated and engaged. The programs also directly support the Development Plan component of the University’s performance management system by creating a clear path for professional growth for each employee.

How a Certificate Program Can Benefit You:

  • Build skills and knowledge to use in your current and future jobs
  • Enhance your credentials and your resume
  • Have a ready-made Development Plan
  • Network with colleagues in other departments and campuses
  • Attend free courses during regular business hours
  • Receive a framed Certificate of Completion to proudly display
  • Enjoy the excitement and rewards of life-long learning

Management Development Certificate (PDF)
This certificate is for administrators whose primary responsibility is managing a St. John’s University function and supervising staff and/or administrators. Supervisors must complete the University Core, the Management Development Core, and at least 6 Electives. Refer to the Certificate Programs listed on the Training and Development web page for a list of the required workshops.

Professional Development Certificate - (see page 2 of the document) (PDF)
This certificate is for full- and part-time staff and non-supervisory administrators. Eligible employees must complete the University Core, the Professional Development Core, and at least 8 Electives.  Refer to the Certificate Programs listed on the Training and Development web page for a list of the required workshops.


Continuing Education Certificate (PDF)

This certificate is available to any manager, administrator, or staff member who has already completed a professional or management development certificate.  Eligible employees and managers must complete the 8 core workshops and 6 electives.   Refer to the Continuing Education Certificate listed on the Training and Development web page for a list of the required workshops.


How can I check my training profile to determine if I’m eligible to receive a certificate?

  1. Log in to UIS
  2. Click on Employee Tab
  3. Scroll down and click on Employee Workshops
  4. Click on HR Employee Training
  5. Click on Training Profile (upper-right side of screen)
  6. Compare your current progress with the requirements of the Certificate that you are pursuing

What do I do if my Training Profile is not up-to-date?
You may email the Training Assistant at [email protected] or phone 718-990-2330.

May I receive a certificate even if I plan to leave the University?
As long as all the certificate requirements are met prior to your termination date, you may request to receive a certificate.  


Where can I find a list of open positions on the St. John’s University website?
Open positions are listed on the Recruitment page under our Apply for Jobs section. Potential applicants have the option of viewing Faculty or Administrative/Staff positions, and all current St. John’s employees should use the Internal Employee Career Portal. Visit Human Resources on the web and click on Recruitment to learn more.

What types of positions are posted?
Generally, all types of administrator and staff positions are posted as job openings become available. In addition, some faculty positions are also posted on our Recruitment website. There may be times when a position is not posted, which may occur when there is a need for specialized skills or when internal changes are taking place.

How often are the positions updated online?
Positions are added and removed as they are received and filled. To improve your chances of securing a position, check the site frequently.

How do I apply for a position posted online?
Instructions explaining how to apply are provided with each position posted. Positions may include a link for potential employees to apply online, or an e-mail address and mailbox so that potential applicants may send a cover letter and resume/CV. You should receive a reply acknowledging receipt of your submission. The reply does not guarantee that you will be contacted by the Recruitment function or hiring manager to be offered an interview.

What if I would like to send a resume for consideration for any open position?
Sending an unsolicited resume is not encouraged or recommended. We urge you to review the open positions and apply to those you feel fit your background, experience and skills.

Can I apply for multiple positions at the same time?
You may apply for multiple positions by following the instructions outlined for each specific position you have interest in, and there is no limit on the number of applications which you can submit. Again, you are encouraged to be selective and focus on those open positions that are related to your experience, background and skills.

Does the University have any pre-employment requirements?
Certain positions may require testing in the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) to determine the level of technical competence for a particular position. Additionally, each candidate offered a position at the University is subject to comprehensive background and reference checks which include criminal, employment and education. Newly hired candidates may find additional necessary paperwork on our HR Forms page (there is a section on the page for new hire paperwork).

Are there any internal transfer requirements for internal applicants?
Yes, for current St. John’s employees there are requirements related to time spent in your current position, whether you are within the new employee Orientation Period and your current performance level. For further information, refer to your Employee Handbook or see policy #124 in the HR Policy Manual.

From a hiring manager’s perspective, what should I do if I have an open position to fill?
If you are a St. John’s University manager and have questions about the hiring process, you should visit the Recruitment page. A list of contact staff is located at the bottom of the page.

Where is the Student Employment office located?
Student Employment is located in the University Center on the Queens campus and is a function of the Office of Human Resources. For more information visit Student Employment on the web.

Where are student worker positions listed?
Open student worker positions are listed on the Job Posting section of our Student Employment pages. Be sure to read the Guide to Student Employment.

What do the different job categories mean?
Two types of student employment positions are available. Students may apply for Regular StudentWorkeror College Work-Studypositions, depending on eligibility:

Regular Student Worker
These positions are funded by the employing department. Students who are not eligible for a work-study grant may apply for a Regular Student Worker position. However, there are relatively few positions available in this category. Academic progress is a requirement for continued eligibility.

College Work-Study
These positions are funded by the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program and grants are awarded to matriculated students, with special emphasis on full-time students with financial need. Academic progress is a requirement for continued eligibility. Student need to apply for a grant in order to be eligible for college work-study positions: see instructions to check your eligibility.

How often are student worker positions updated?
Student worker positions are added and removed as they are received and filled. However, many student worker opportunities become available at the beginning of the semester. To improve your chances of securing a position, check the site frequently and apply early.

Do I need prior work experience?
No prior experience is required for student employment. The available positions are designed to provide students with valuable learning experience and to help offset the cost of tuition and college expenses. As a student worker, you will gain basic skills in a variety of disciplines.

How do I apply for a job?
First, you should learn more by reading the Guide to Student Employment. To apply for a student worker position, follow the steps provided on the How to Apply page.

What do I do once I have been offered and have accepted a position?
Once a student has accepted a position, he/she must contact the Student Employment Manager to complete employment processing.  See below for contact information.

Do I have to apply for a position every year?
No, students do not need to re-apply every year if they remain in the same department. Students are eligible to transfer to a new department after one full semester of employment.

Can I keep my same position for all four years?
Students may be eligible to stay with the same department all four years; however, this is not a requirement and often depends on a student’s interests, as well as the department’s needs.

If I transfer to a new department, do I have to re-apply for employment?
If a student wishes to transfer, the student must apply online to a posted position, follow up with a resume to the hiring manager and have an interview with the department. Students must fill out a new employment application, which can be found on the Student Employment page on UIS.

Do I need to fill out paperwork every year?
If you are a student receiving college work-study, then you need to reapply for your work-study award each year. A student’s FAFSA must be completed with the Student Financial Services Offices by early spring and the award will be posted to UIS account under the Financial Aid tab. Once you are awarded federal work-study, you must complete a work-study Agreement. Freshman must sign the work-study agreement with the Office of Student Financial Services, while returning or continuing students can access and complete the work-study agreement by logging onto UIS.

How do I get paid?
Student workers are required to submit hours worked to their supervisor via Web time entry. Students are on a bi-weekly pay schedule distributed by the St. John’s University Payroll Department.

What if I do not qualify for Work-Study and all Regular Student positions are filled?
The University Career Services has employment resources to assist you in obtaining a job or an internship. Contact the University Career Services at 718-990-6375 or email [email protected].

What if I still have questions?
For more information, you can refer to the Guide to Student Employment brochure and the Student Worker Handbook. If you have any further questions, contact the Student Employment Office at:

Office of Human Resources
The University Center, Suite C
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439

Monday through Thursday
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Fridays until 3:00 pm

Mary Cascio
Student Employment Manager
[email protected]

Darren Russell
Student Employment Specialist
[email protected]