Historic Milestones Of St. John's University
1865 – The Most Rev. John Loughlin, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Brooklyn, reaches out to the Congregation of the Mission (the Vincentian Fathers) to establish “a day College where the youth of the City might find advantages of a solid education.”
1867 – The Vincentian founders purchase three former farms in north-central Brooklyn to serve as the future site of St. John’s College.
1870 – St. John’s College is founded with 47 students and six faculty on Lewis Avenue in Brooklyn.
1880 – St. John’s awards its first scholarships.
1906 – New York State charter grants St. John’s the powers of a university.
1908 – The School of Pedagogy is founded, admitting men and women. It is renamed The School of Education in 1955.
1908 – Men’s basketball team makes first appearance.
1925 – School of Law is founded.
1927 – School of Accounting, Commerce, and Finance is established. It is renamed The Peter J. Tobin College of Business in 2000.
1928 – To accommodate growing enrollment, construction begins on the Schermerhorn Street building in downtown Brooklyn.
1929 – School of Pharmacy is established. In 2012, it is renamed the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
1933 – Name officially changes to St. John’s University, Brooklyn.
1936 – Future Queens campus, the Hillcrest Golf Course, is purchased by the Vincentians for the University’s relocation.
1954 – Name officially changes to St. John’s University, New York. Construction starts on the St. John Hall, Queens Campus.
1962 – The Junior College is established. It becomes the School of General Studies in 1968 through 1971, the College of General Studies for a brief period in 1971 to 1972, and St. Vincent’s College between 1972 and 1999. It was renamed the College of Professional Studies in 1999.
1964 – St. Augustine Hall opens on the Queens campus.
1971 – University merges with Notre Dame College to the Staten Island campus.
1985 – First study abroad program, College Europa, launches in Budapest, Hungary.
1995 – St. John’s establishes a graduate campus in Rome, Italy, marking the beginning of the University’s global presence.
1999 – The first residence halls are completed on the Queens campus.
2001 – University acquires The College of Insurance (which is renamed the School of Risk Management, Insurance, and Actuarial Science) and its Manhattan campus at 101 Murray Street.
2008 – Paris, France, campus is established.
2012 – Discover the World location opens in Seville, Spain.
2013 – Number of living alumni tops 170,000, with 80 percent living in the New York City area.
2014 – Manhattan campus relocates to 101 Astor Place.