Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions (Employees, Administration, Staff)

Which vaccines satisfy the requirement that employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19?

Two doses of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine, two doses of the Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson Janssen vaccine.

How will I find time to get the vaccine?

Under New York law, you are entitled to up to 4 hours of paid time off for each injection.  Paid time off taken for this purpose is not charged against your sick or vacation time.

How do I provide proof of vaccination?

Employees can upload their vaccination records by following the instructions at  Please note:  Employees will be directed to upload their proof of vaccination to Medicat, a Student Health Services and Wellness portal.  Any information uploaded to Medicat will be kept confidential.

What is the deadline to get vaccinated?

The University mandates that all employees be fully vaccinated by September 30, 2021.

What constitutes fully vaccinated?

Full vaccination status requires receiving two doses of Moderna or Pfizer, or, one dose of Johnson & Johnson, plus a two-week period after the last vaccination.

How do I request an exemption to the vaccination requirement?

Employees may request exemptions to the vaccination requirement for medical or religious reasons.  Contact the HR Benefits Department at (718) 990-2363 or [email protected]

What happens if I do not provide proof of vaccination?

Unvaccinated employees must wear a mask on campus, both indoors and outdoors, and should practice social distancing.  In addition, under New York City law, unvaccinated individuals are prohibited from using campus dining facilities, the fitness center, Taffner Field House, and other athletic facilities, except for “in and out” transactions (e.g., using the bathroom, getting takeout).

For employees with no medical or religious exemption:

Any employee who fails to upload their vaccination record by September 30th may be placed on an unpaid leave of absence, effective October 1, 2021, subject to applicable collective bargaining agreements.  Thereafter, if an employee continues to fail to upload their vaccination record, they may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

For employees with a medical or religious exemption:

Employees who do not provide proof of vaccination, including employees granted medical or religious exemptions, are required to obtain a PCR test for COVID-19 and submit the test results to [email protected] every Friday, beginning on Friday, September 3, 2021.

Employees are responsible for getting the test on their own time and at their own expense.  New York City Health and Hospitals offers free PCR tests for COVID-19 at a number of locations, and the University’s medical benefits plan covers COVID-19 testing with a doctor’s prescription.

What should I do if I test positive for COVID-19 or have symptoms of COVID-19?

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have any Symptoms of Coronavirus, please stay home, self-quarantine, and notify both your supervisor and the HR contact tracing team, which can be reached by contacting Diane Neofytidis ([email protected], x2423) or Cathleen Dewick ([email protected]edu, x6861).

I’m afraid I’ve been exposed to COVID-19 or a member of my family has been exposed.  What should I do?

Notify the HR contact tracing team by emailing or calling Diane Neofytidis ([email protected], x2423) or Cathleen Dewick ([email protected], x6861).

If I am in self-quarantine, is that information kept confidential?

We will only disclose that information if there is a legitimate need to disclose it.