If you would like to report any issue relating to these policies, please e-mail [email protected].
If you ever need assistance regarding sexual assault, please visit Sexual Assault: You Are Not Alone.
What Is Title IX?
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, and sexual misconduct.
St. John's University is committed to providing an environment that is free from all forms of discrimination on the basis of sex and offers many resources to students, faculty, administrators, and staff to address concerns relating to discrimination on the basis of sex or gender identity.
Who Are the Title IX Coordinators?
Keaton Wong, Director of Employee Relations, Compliance and Title IX, serves as the Title IX Coordinator for overall campus compliance for the University. In this role, she monitors and maintains overall compliance with University policies and procedures in preventing, addressing, and remediating all forms of discrimination and harassment.
Additionally, Ms. Wong works with the Title IX Deputy Coordinators, to investigate and respond to each complaint and monitor incidents to ensure remediation and continued compliance. The Title IX Deputy Coordinators also identify and address any patterns or systemic problems that arise during the review of such complaints. Thus, the Title IX Deputy Coordinators play an integral role in carrying out the University's commitment to providing a positive learning, teaching and working environment for the entire University community.
Ms. Wong's office is located on the Queens campus in the Office of Human Resources, University Center, and she can be contacted at 718-990-2660 or [email protected].
- Jackie Lochrie, Associate Dean for Student Services, serves as the Title IX Deputy Coordinator for the Division of Student Affairs. Ms. Lochrie's office is located on the Queens campus in Bent Hall, Garden Level, Room 17C, and she can be contacted at 718-990-6568 or [email protected].
- Kathleen F. Meehan, Associate Vice President for Athletics, serves as the Title IX Deputy Coordinator for Athletics. Ms. Meehan's office is located on the Queens campus in Carnesecca Arena, Room 157, and she can be contacted at 718-990-6173 or [email protected].
When Should I Contact a Title IX Coordinator?
Any student, faculty, administrator, staff member, or applicant for admission who has concerns about sex discrimination including sexual harassment, sexual violence, or sexual misconduct is encouraged to seek the assistance of a Title IX Coordinator.
For example, we encourage you to contact a Title IX Coordinator if you:
- Wish to understand your options if you think you may have encountered sex discrimination or sexual misconduct
- Learn of a situation that you feel may warrant a University investigation
- Need help on how to handle a situation by which you are indirectly affected
- Seek guidance on possible methods of de-escalating or alleviating a difficult situation
- Have questions on St. John's policies and procedures
You can get more information about Title IX and the University's Policies online at:
- Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity
- Student Conduct: Code of Conduct and Conduct Process
- Student Handbook, Chapter 6: Policies and Procedures
It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with Title IX and the University policies associated with sexual harassment, assault, and gender bias/discrimination. Please review these policies to ensure that you are fully informed of your rights and your responsibilities as a member of our University community.
Climate Survey Results
For results of St. John’s Campus Climate Survey on Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct, please view the Climate Survey Results (PDF).