Section: Work Environment
Policy Number: 804Responsible Office: HR/HR Services
Effective Date: 4/10/95Revised: 4/1/01; 2/28/08; 8/11/16
This policy applies to all employees, students, and visitors to the University.
To comply with the Smoke-Free Air Act, as enacted by the City of New York, and in order to provide employees and students with a healthy environment, it is the policy of St. John's University to prohibit smoking and use of electronic cigarrettes in all buildings and facilities.
1. Smoking and use of electronic cigarrettes are prohibited in all indoor areas of the University buildings and facilities, including private offices.
2. When smoking or using electronic cigarettes outside, individuals should be mindful of nearby doors and windows. In an effort to prevent outdoor smoke from permeating buildings and affecting indoor occupants, University policy prohibits smoking and electronic cigarrette use within a minimum of 30 feet of any entrance, exit, open window or air intake to a building or facility.
3. "No Smoking" signs are prominently and conspicuously posted in all appropriate locations of the workplace.
4. Smoking and electronic cigarrette use are prohibited in University vehicles.
5. The Office of Human Resources is the designated agent for reports of violations in progress. Human Resources will be responsible for informing any individual smoking or using an electronic cigarette in a restricted area that she or he is in violation of this policy and the Smoke-Free Air Act.
6. Inquiries, complaints or disputes about smoking and/or use of electronic cigarrettes in the workplace should be directed to HR Services (for employee concerns) or the Dean of Students for the appropriate campus (for student concerns). Violations of this policy may lead to disciplinary action.
7. No retaliatory action (including any form of intimidation, harassment, discrimination, or adverse employment consequences) will be taken by St. John's against anyone for reporting or inquiring in good faith about potential violations of University policies.
St. John's University, New York
Human Resources Policy Manual