Graduate Resources

Respected across the country and around the world.

The School of Education (SOE) at St. John’s University offers graduate programs that prepare highly qualified teachers, administrators, researchers, counselors, and policymakers for success in today’s multicultural learning environments.

The School offers flexible master’s, doctoral, and career-changing programs and advanced certificates. Graduate students gain the credentials, knowledge, and skills to advance on the job or change their career direction. Established in 1908, the SOE fosters close relationships with public, private, and parochial schools across the New York region. Faculty and administrators advise schools on the curricular and managerial direction.

The School of Education comprises of four departments: Administrative and Instructional LeadershipEducation SpecialtiesCurriculum and Instruction, and Counselor Education.


St. John’s University is a Regular Member of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP) and is actively pursuing Accreditation.
The School of Education at St. John’s University, NY, is currently pursuing Accreditation of its educator preparation programs by the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP). Pursuant to §52.21 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, the educator preparation programs offered by St. John’s University are considered to be continuously accredited for meeting the New York State requirement that all such programs maintain continuous Accreditation.

AAQEP is an accreditation organization for educator preparation programs. Educators founded AAQEP in 2017 to promote the preparation of effective educators in innovative, outcome-focused programs that directly and in context engage education’s most demanding challenges. AAQEP’s comprehensive standards for educator preparation specify aspects of completer performance and program practice that identify effective programs and qualify those programs for AAQEP accreditation.

St. John’s University Teacher Education Program was granted Accreditation by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) for 10 years, from September 30, 2011–September 2021. This Accreditation certifies that the aforenamed professional education programs have provided evidence that the program adheres to TEAC’s quality principles. (Note: New York State requires reaccreditation after seven years.)

The Educational Leadership Program at St. John’s University was awarded TEAC accreditation for seven years, from 2013–2020. The Accreditation does not include individual education courses offered to P–12 educators for professional development, re-licensure, or other purposes. Program options at the graduate level include a Master of Education in School Building Leadership, Advanced Certificate in School Building Leadership, Advanced Certificate in School District Leadership, Dual Advanced Certificate in School Building Leadership, and School District Leadership.

The Council has accredited the Counseling Programs for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

Quick Facts

Founded: 1908

Accreditation: The School of Education’s Teacher Education Program is nationally accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.

Graduate Programs: The School of Education offers three doctoral degrees, 18 advanced certificates, 34 master’s degrees, and three Online Learning degrees. View the programs

Tuition: for the most up-to-date information, click here.

Enrollment: 1,622

Alumni: The Graduate Division of The School of Education boasts more than 15,400 alumni—many teachers, principals, superintendents, professors, CFOs, and CEOs.

Learn More

For more information about graduate degree programs in The School of Education, contact [email protected] or 718-990-1601.


St. John’s University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439

Staten Island
300 Howard Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10301

101 Astor Place
New York, NY 10003

Additional Information & FAQs

Perhaps the most important factor to consider when choosing a graduate program is the quality of its faculty. 

At St. John’s, our educators serve as a testament to our commitment to academic excellence, preparing well-trained, compassionate instructors since 1908. The University’s dedication to providing an exceptional education to its students is demonstrated by the accomplishments of our graduates. We invite you to be part of our rich history as you embark upon your career as an educator, administrator, or counselor.

A Rich History...

St. John’s University establishes the School of Pedagogy. During this period—when only a two-year course is required for state teaching certification—St. John’s becomes the second institution of higher learning in New York State to introduce graduate courses for teachers.

The program expands to include courses in experimental education, educational philosophy, classroom management, educational psychology, and principles of education.

The School establishes the Department of Education, which offers courses in teaching methods, educational history, philosophy, and psychology.

The first Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degrees are conferred.

The education program grows so large that the School is divided into undergraduate and graduate divisions. A certificate course, Methods in Kindergarten and Nursery School Practice, is also available—a novel idea in the 1940s.

The School of Education unites its undergraduate and graduate programs on the Queens, NY, campus under a single administration.

The program in Human Services is approved, and The School of Education is renamed The School of Education and Human Services.

The Reading and Writing Education Center is founded to assist children and youth with literacy advancement.

All education programs at St. John’s are brought under a single administration.

The human services program is transferred to the College of Professional Studies, and the University trustees approve a return to the name The School of Education.

The School of Education creates the Center for Educational Leadership and Accountability and offers graduate courses at the University’s new Oakdale site for the first time.

St. John’s, along with a number of other universities, is selected to participate in a new program called the New York City Teaching Fellows. This program is instituted to prepare individuals who have a degree in an area other than education and want to become teachers. Even though the need for teachers has diminished, this program is still in existence today. Although other universities are not invited to continue participation, St. John’s is still an active partner.

The Graduate Division of The School of Education offers New York State’s first Online Learning program in School Leadership.

The Graduate Division of The School of Education offers courses for the first time at the University’s Manhattan, NY, campus.

U.S. News & World Report ranks The School of Education’s Graduate Division among the top 10 percent of graduate education programs in the nation.

The School of Education moves to newly designed offices on the Queens (Sullivan Hall) and Staten Island campuses—Sullivan Hall and DaSilva Hall respectively.

The Graduate Division of The School of Education initiates its ongoing Professional Development Partnership program with the New York City Department of Education, leading to a master’s degree in School Building Administrators for aspiring school leaders from nonpublic schools (Catholic, Jewish, Greek, Lutheran, Islamic, and independent schools).

U.S. News & World Report ranks The School of Education among the top 10 percent of graduate education schools in the nation.

According to the New York City Department of Education, “St. John’s graduates were rated highest in retention, the percentage of teachers still employed in the NYC DOE three years after hire; were second-best in tenure approval; had the lowest number receiving ‘unsatisfactory’ ratings their first year; and 91 percent of its teacher graduates were rated ‘highly effective’ or ‘effective’ as reflected in student growth scores on fourth-through eighth-grade math and English tests.”

U.S. News & World Report ranked St. John’s graduate program in education as the fifth-highest out of 166 graduate online programs in the nation.

Here at St. John's University, we are committed to providing students with the skills and training necessary, to become successful, competent, and compassionate educational professionals

The School of Education offers graduate degree programs for facilitating education at the early childhood, childhood and secondary education levels,
in addition to certificates for classroom teaching extensions. We encourage you to navigate our online resources and welcomes any inquiries you may have about any of our programs. Please direct any inquiries to [email protected], or call us at 718-990-2304 and our experienced staff will respond to your concerns with efficiency.

Thank you for taking the time out to learn about our dynamic programs. We look forward to hearing from you.

  • Graduate Degree Programs Overview (PDF)
  • Graduate Scholarships and Funding (PDF)
  • Childhood Education Master of Science Programs (1-6) (PDF)
  • Dual Advanced Certificate Program in Educational Administration (PDF)
  • Early Childhood Education Master of Science Programs (PDF)
  • Ed.D. In Educational Administration and Supervision (PDF)
  • Gifted Education Program (PDF)
  • Graduate Admissions Online Learning Degree Programs FAQs (PDF)
  • Graduate Counseling Program (PDF)
  • Graduate History and Timeline (PDF)
  • Graduate International Student FAQs (PDF)
  • Graduate Literacy Programs (PDF)
  • Instructional Leadership Doctoral Program (PDF)
  • Master of Science Degree Programs in Adolescent Education (PDF)
  • Middle School Extension Programs (PDF)
  • Online Program in Teaching Children with Disabilities in Childhood Education, Master of Science in Education (PDF)
  • School Building Leader (PDF)
  • School District Leader Advanced Certificate in Educational Administration (PDF)
  • Special Education Program (PDF)
  • TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and Bilingual Education (PDF)

What is an online learning program?

The graduate program at The School of Education at St. John’s University offers graduate online degree programs as well as individual online courses. Whether you are a traditional collegeage student, a working professional, or a returning adult student, our web-based courses offer flexibility combined with a special interactive educational experience.

As an online student, you are no longer required to travel to campus to participate in a course or restricted by scheduling conflicts. Courseware tools such as Blackboard turn your home or office computer into a virtual classroom where you study texts and online resources, complete assignments and exams, and actively engage with the instructor and fellow students in threaded discussions and chats. All of this at times that are convenient for your demanding schedule.

We also offer hybrid (online and campus) programs. Please note that we are not an “online” university. If you plan on attending a hybrid learning program, you MUST submit immunization records.

What degree programs do you offer?

We offer Master of Science degrees in School Building LeaderTeaching Children with Disabilities in Childhood Education 1–6, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre-K–12.

We offer a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Literacy.

We offer Advanced Certificates in Bilingual EducationGifted EducationSchool Building LeaderSchool Building Leader/School District LeaderSchool District Leader, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12.

We offer Intensive Teacher Institute (ITI) Online Programs Advanced Certificates in Bilingual EducationBilingual Special EducationBilingual Pupil Personnel Services, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12/Special Education.

We also offer individual courses online. Please check with the individual departments.

Is online learning for me?

Successful completion of online courses requires participating students to be independent and collaborative learners who are disciplined and able to dedicate sufficient time to their course work. Online courses typically follow the semester calendar, with assignments and assessments posted on a regular basis. Prospective online students should consider whether the format and time demands of an online course are conducive to their lifestyles before registering for a course.

What kind of technical abilities will I need?

In addition to meeting academic prerequisites for the courses, all prospective online students must meet rudimentary computer proficiency requirements such as logging on, cutting and pasting text using word-processing software, and attaching documents as e-mail attachments.

How does an online course differ from a face-to-face course?

Web-based software creates a virtual classroom where the learning experience takes place. St. John’s University uses Blackboard. This software uses icons to direct you to the featured pages within the virtual classroom. Clicking on these icons helps you to navigate within the courseware tool to participate in the course. For example, professors post course syllabi, assignments, readings, and assessments that are accessible by all students within the course. Students may communicate via an internal e-mail system with the professor and with other participants.

In an online course, the student is a more independent but collaborative learner (learns by sharing ideas with fellow students and the instructor). The student reads text supplemented by online resources such as slide presentations, videos, and links to websites and learning materials, then actively engages in detailed discussions online with classmates. These discussions take place on a conference board within the virtual classroom. Each student is required to be an active participant by submitting a certain number of responses over a period of days. This is called a threaded discussion. The instructor monitors the discussions and gives feedback to the group. You can enter your response messages at any time during an assigned period of two days to a week; hence, there is more time to reflect on your comments. However, online courses require more work and preparation from both the learner and the teacher. In order to be considered “in attendance,” an online student must post a response and keep up with the discussion. This means logging on almost every day to participate in the online discussions and group projects. Professors may also require more detailed assignments (e.g., research papers) and assessments (tests or graded projects), which are posted as responses or file attachments.

As an online learning student, am I ever required to campus?

If you are pursuing the Special Education program, you may come to campus at the end of the program to sit for the comprehensive exam if you reside within the tristate area. Students who reside beyond the tristate area are presented with the comprehensive exam online (requires webcam access).

What are the computer requirements?

Internet service with any local service provider (telephone-based or cable service where available).

  • Pentium class or higher PC/Mac with a minimum of 1.7 Ghz
  • Minimum of 1GB RAM
  • Cable/DSL or better connection
  • Microsoft Word
  • Acrobat Reader (latest version)
  • The faculty member teaching the course usually sets software requirements. Please check with your instructor following registration.
  • Web browser requirements: Most of our online courses are conducted using Blackboard courseware tools. Access to Blackboard is also available on mobile devices and tablets.
  • For all browsers, JavaScript must be enabled for Blackboard to work.
  • Webcam

How many credits must I take for each program?

Master’s Level Programs:

  • School Building Leader (M.S.Ed.) 34
  • Teaching Children with Disabilities in Childhood Education 1–6 (M.S.Ed.) 33
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre K–12 (M.S.Ed.) 33

Advanced Certificate Programs:

  • Bilingual Education (Adv. Crt.) 15
  • Gifted Education (Adv. Crt.) 12
  • School Building Leader (Adv. Crt.) 22
  • School Building Leader/School District Leader (Adv. Crt.) 35
  • School District Leader (Adv. Crt.) 31
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre K–12 (Adv. Crt.) 15

ITI Programs:

  • ITI: Bilingual Education (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: Bilingual Special Education (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: Bilingual Pupil Personnel Services (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: TESOL (Adv. Crt). 15
  • ITI: TESOL with Special Education (Adv. Crt.) 15

How long is the program?

You may attend full time or part time, so the length of the program is really up to you. Continuous enrollment and completion of all requirements must be done within a five-year period.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Financial aid is available to those who qualify. Please contact the Department of Financial Aid for more information. They may be reached at [email protected] or 718-990-2000.

What are my payment options?

You may pay via check, credit card, or financial aid.

What differentiates St. John’s Online Learning program from others?

The three master’s programs are accredited by TEAC, and US News & World Report ranked our program in the top 50 in the nation for online learning. All our online professors have to have taken a course in online teaching.

What resources are available to me as a distance-learning student?

A range of University services are available online: access to library databases, career guidance, registration, and financial aid.

What are the requirements for admission?

For admission consideration for a master’s degree, we look for the following:

  • Completed application
  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Application fee of $70
  • Personal statement
  • Official transcripts from EVERY institution attended showing conferral of degree
  • Satisfactory grade point average (B or better)

For admission consideration for an advanced certificate, we look for the same requirements, except a master’s degree is needed instead of a bachelor’s degree.

How do I apply?

All applications are sent online.

How do I register?

Once you are accepted as a student, you will be assigned an advisor. Please contact him or her to go over course offerings. You then register via the web.

What if I need to take a semester off?

Students enrolled in degree programs are required to be continuously enrolled for matriculation until the degree is awarded. Those who are not enrolled in course work must maintain their active status each semester by enrolling in Maintaining Matriculation at the scheduled registration periods. Students who have not satisfied the continuous enrollment requirement for two or more semesters must apply for readmission.

Important Contacts

Online Learning 

Financial Aid 
[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

What are the application deadlines?

The deadlines for COMPLETED applications are as follows:

  • Spring- January 5
  • Summer- May 15 (We do not accept summer or spring applications for counseling majors.)
  • Fall- August 17

What is the difference between the certification and noncertification track?

There are two tracks for our program:

NONCERTIFICATION TRACK: If you do not wish to obtain New York State Education Certification, no additional courses will be necessary to complete the degree or advanced certificate program.

NEW YORK STATE CERTIFICATION TRACK: If you wish to obtain New York State Education Department (NYSED) certification, you may need to complete additional education and subject foundation courses (or demonstrate competency in those course subjects) before you are awarded the master’s degree. Those prerequisites will be listed separately in your admission letter, if you are accepted. Please be aware that you will be solely responsible for determining and satisfing any legal requirements to become eligible to apply for NYSED certification. St. John’s cannot guarantee your eligibility. You must indicate on your application which track you intend to pursue.

Can I get New York State certification to teach?

In order to get NYS certification, you must have a Social Security number, meet New York State certification requirements, including possible deficiencies, and get fingerprinted. Students with international credentials who wish to teach in New York State will need to satisfy the state requirements for certification. It is your responsibility to apply for New York State teaching certification and meet the criteria. For more information, visit

Where do I go to find out about the ESL test?

We require you to submit an IELTS or TOEFL score. Depending on your score, if you are accepted, you may have to contact our ESL office for further evaluation regarding English as a second language. Based on your ESL evaluation, you may be required to take an ESL placement exam and ESL courses.

What if I am not accepted due to my English language proficiency?

You may continue to improve your ESL skills at home and resubmit satisfactory TOEFL/IELTS/ELS test scores to be reconsidered for admission for up to one year.

You have the option of attending The Language Connection at St. John’s University for up to a year. This will require an additional cost. Please resubmit satisfactory TOEFL/IELTS/ESL test scores to admissions.

How to Get Your I-20 Form

What is an I-20 and why do you need one?

An I-20 Form is the government form that St. John’s University uses to certify to the US government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status.

How do I get the I-20 application form?

You need to request your I-20 Application Form. You may contact our Office of International Student and Scholar Services, or you may download the I-20 Form (PDF).

When do I start the I-20 application process?

You can apply at the same time you apply for admission. Note that an I-20 will not be issued until you are officially accepted into the program.

What are the rules for obtaining an I-20?

  • You must be accepted to a full-time program of study at St. John’s University.
  • You must prove to us that you can meet the costs of living and studying in the United States for the entire duration of your program of study. This is required by US law.
  • Do not expect that you will be able to work in this country to help meet your annual costs. On-campus employment is limited and competitive, and off-campus employment is strictly controlled by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.


  • Form I-20 does not automatically come with your admission—you need to apply for it.
  • A bank statement is not enough; you need to submit the whole application.
  • Do not confuse proof of income with bank statements.
  • Read the I-20 application instructions carefully.

Why do I have a hold on my account from the Office of International Student and Scholar?

As a new international student at St. John’s University, you are officially required to check in with our office. You will need to bring Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS- 2019 (J-1) and your passport, which includes your visa and port-of-entry stamp.

  • The Office of International Student and Scholar Services is located in St. John Hall, room 116; tel 718-990-6083; fax 718-990-2070; e-mail [email protected]

Where do I go to submit my health (immunization) forms?

Go to the Health Center on the first floor of DaSilva Hall. Call 718-990-6360; fax 718-990-2388. E-mail Pauline Tummino at [email protected].

How do I find out about housing possibilities?

You may register to view available non-university housing options at

Where do I go to find out where I will live on campus?

Contact the Office of Residence Life in Donovan Hall, C-16; call 718-990-2417 or 718-990-5512; fax 718-990-2545. Email [email protected].

Where do I go to pay my tuition bill for the semester?

Contact the Office of Student Financial Services on the ground floor of Bent Hall. Call 718-990-2000; e-mail [email protected].

How do I change my address online?

Log in to your UIS (University Information System) account to update your address. You are also required to submit changes of address to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 10 days of moving.

If you have problems logging into your UIS account, contact the Office of Information Technology at 718-990-5000.

Contact Information

Office of Graduate Admission
The School of Education
Sullivan Hall, Room G9
[email protected]

Office of International Admission
Newman Hall, Room 106
[email protected]