Welcome to Graduate Admission at The School of Education. On this page you will find detailed information regarding the online application process. After you submit an application for a graduate program, be sure to consult the following scholarship links offered exclusively for students at The School of Education. The links are found on this page below.
1. Go to http://grad.stjohns.edu/apply
2. Submit Application
3. Personal Statement of Goals (300-350 Words) *Except for Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction, which requires two essays (Please see below.)
4. Official Transcripts from ALL colleges and universities attended
5. Copy of Certification (If you presently possess New York State Initial or Professional Teaching Certification
7. GRE is required only for the PhD in Literacy and the PhD in Curriculum Instruction
8. Resume and letters of recommendation requirement varies by program, please view your application checklist or contact [email protected] for specific requirements.
Letters of Recommendation:
(2) for Counseling majors, (3) for Ph.D. C&I applicants, and (number varies) Scholarship applicants.
Please complete the following essay prompts for your application. Each should be two pages, double spaced. The document can be uploaded on the student status page of the application once you submit the application.
Admissions Essay #1 (Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction Applicants): Select one line, sentence, or phrase from our mission statement (below) and write your response to it.
The Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction is a journey of profound personal and professional discovery. The program is individualized to Ph.D. candidates, responsive to communities, built upon the philosophy that students are agents of their own learning, and committed to fostering a symbiotic relationship between research and community. This Ph.D. program distinguishes itself by a commitment to scholarship that is devoted to critical issues related to teaching and learning. Candidates will develop collaborative explorations and employ multiple research and disciplinary lenses to understand and address local and global educational needs by working with and for the people and communities studied.
Admissions Essay #2 (Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction Applicants) Tell us a story about a specific turning point in any stage of your life that illustrates your perspective on learning.
All international students must follow the requirements for graduate applicants outlined above. In addition, international students must also note the following:
8000 Utopia Parkway
Sullivan Hall, 5th Floor
Queens, NY 11439
Fax: 718-990-2343[email protected]