The College of Pharmacy was established in 1929. The College changed its name to the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions in 1971. It was renamed College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences in 2012.
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is committed to academic excellence, scholarship, and service to humanity through the discovery and application of biomedical knowledge.
We facilitate and advance scholarship by offering innovative programs of study utilizing active learning approaches that are student-oriented and that inspire lifelong learning.
As compassionate health care professionals and scientists, we serve humanity through our dedication to excellence in health care and biomedical research. Building on a commitment to cultural diversity and benefitting from our metropolitan location and strategic alliances, we strive to serve as effective leaders, good citizens, and moral and ethical individuals.
We commit ourselves to the discovery, communication, and application of biomedical knowledge as a critical component for the development of health care professionals and scientists. Through innovative basic, social, and clinical research initiatives, we contribute to scientific knowledge, address contemporary health care issues, and seek solutions to health care problems.
Our mission embodies the principles of the University’s mission statement: to provide a quality education in an environment that is Catholic, metropolitan, and Vincentian.
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences will be a nationally recognized model of distinction for the preparation of exemplary health care providers dedicated to meeting the needs of all patients particularly the underserved in urban areas, as well as distinguished scholars and leading researchers in the pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences.
Located on St. John’s 105-acre Queens campus, the College is only minutes away from Manhattan by car, bus, or train. Six high-tech residence halls feature wireless Internet access, lounges, study rooms, a computer center, 24-hour security, and a dining hall.
St. John’s University College of Pharmacy was established in 1929 when 76 students enrolled in the newly established three-year Ph.G. (Pharmacy Graduate) degree program under the leadership of Dr. John Dandreau as the College’s first Dean. The school was located at 96 Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn. In 1934 two other pharmacy degrees were approved by the University Trustees, the Ph.C. (Pharmacy Chemist which was 44 credits beyond the Ph.G.) and the first four-year B.S. in Pharmacy degree. In 1937, the four-year B.S. in Pharmacy degree was recognized as the mandatory degree to practice pharmacy.
Due to an increase in enrollment following World War II, the College of Pharmacy temporarily relocated to rented space in the Brooklyn Eagle Building in 1949 until its new building at 72 Schermerhorn Street was completed in 1952. Dean Dandreau retired in 1956 and Dr. Andrew J. Bartilucci became the College’s second Dean.
In 1956 the College established its graduate division as it offered an M.S. program in Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. One year later the M.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences was added before the College relocated to its current location in St. Albert Hall on the Queens campus in 1958. Rapid growth and expansion continued to occur as the B.S. in Medical Technology was approved in 1960, a five-year B.S. in Pharmacy degree replaced the four-year program in 1960, and a clinical pharmacy program was established at Mercy Hospital in 1967. The addition of the B.S. in Toxicology program and the Ph.D. program in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 1969, and the M.S. in Medical Technology program in 1971, led the College to change its name to the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions in 1971. Other programs subsequently added were the M.S. in Pharmacy Administration in 1972, the B.S. in Physician Assistant in 1975, the College’s first post-B.S. Pharm.D. program in 1977, the B.S. in Pathologist Assistant in 1980, and the B.S./M.S. program in Toxicology in 1981.
The current six-year Pharm.D. program was introduced in 1998 with the last B.S. in Pharmacy full class graduating in 2002.
Dr. Albert Belmonte became the College’s third Dean in 1988 as Dr. Bartilucci began to serve as University Vice President. Dr. Belmonte served as Dean until 1995 when Dr.Virginia Galizia became Acting Dean from 1995 to 1996. Dr. Thomas Wiser served as Dean from 1996-1998 and Dr. Robert A. Mangione was named Acting Dean in 1998 and then the College’s fifth Dean in 1999.
In 2012, Dr. Mangione was appointed Provost of the University and Dr. S. William Zito was appointed Acting Dean from 2012-2013. The current Dean, Dr. Russell DiGate was named in 2013.
Here is a video clip about the Pharmacy Program from 1953:
1929–1956 John Dandreau, J.S.D., Dean
1956–1988 Andrew J. Bartilucci, Ph.D., Dean
1988–1995 Albert Belmonte, Ph.D., Dean
1995–1996 Virginia Galizia, Ph.D., Acting Dean
1996–1998 Thomas Wiser, Ph.D., Dean
1998–2012 Robert A. Mangione, Ed.D., Dean
2012–2013 S. William Zito, Ph.D., Acting Dean
2013–Present Russell J. DiGate, Ph.D., Dean
Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE)
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA)
Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT)
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educations Programs (CAAHEP)
Undergraduate and Entry-Level Degrees
(final as of 10/16/13)
Students (as of 10/20/14)
(as of 11/11/16)
Academic Honor Societies
Rho Chi Society, Pharmacy Honor Society
Phi Lambda Sigma, Pharmacy Leadership Society
Pi Alpha Honor Society, Physician Assistant Honor Society
Lambda Tau, Clinical Laboratory Sciences Honor Society
American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS)
American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP)
American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP)
Drug Information Association (DIA)
International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
Lambda Kappa Sigma
Phi Delta Chi
Physician Assistant Association
Student College of Clinical Pharmacy (SCCP)
Student Society of Health-System Pharmacy (SSHP)
Tau Omega Chi, TOX Club
Pharmacy (NAPLEX) - 88%
Physician Assistant (PANCE) - 97%
Radiologic Sciences (ARRT) - 97%
Clinical Laboratory Sciences (ASCP-MLS) - 100%