Finance, Master of Science
The Master of Science degree in Finance is designed to provide students with expertise to make effective financial analysis and investment decisions. The program is designed for students to learn skills for financial management, as well as for professionals outside the financial management industry to gain knowledge and skills for financial analysis and tackling investment problems. The curriculum includes ethics, economics, finance, financial reporting, and quantitative methods, taught by faculty members from three departments at the Tobin College of Business. While the curriculum of the program is narrowly focused and covers most of the body of knowledge that students will need to become Chartered Financial Analysts (CFAs), the curriculum is intended to provide rigorous academic and applied content, not solely CFA examination review topics.
Focusing on aspects of economics, financial reporting, finance, securities, and derivatives relevant to modern investment analysis, it brings together theories, practices, strategies, and methodologies designed to reflect the current state of the field of investment management and analysis. The body of knowledge to be mastered includes:
- Ethical and professional standards
- Economic theory and applications
- Financial statement analysis
- Corporate finance
- Analysis of equity, debt, and alternative investments
- Analysis of derivatives
- Portfolio management
Please see a list of our Economics and Finance faculty.
All applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or the international equivalent prior to enrollment at the graduate level. In addition to the application form and non-refundable application fee candidates should submit the following:
- Statement of professional goals and resume which can be uploaded as part of the application for admission
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate, graduate and professional schools attended. International Applicants to programs in Accounting and Taxation must have a Graduate Admissions evaluation completed by AEQUO.
- Official GMAT or GRE scores, taken within the last five years
- Two letters of recommendation, obtained from professional or academic references
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English
For additional information, please contact:
The Peter J. Tobin College of Business
Office of Graduate Admission
8000 Utopia Parkway
114 Bent Hall
Queens, NY 11439