Payroll and HRIS
The Payroll Office's primary function is to ensure that administrators, faculty, staff and student workers receive prompt accurate payment for services performed. The Office will provide employees with payroll-related services in a courteous and professional manner. Employees with questions regarding their paycheck should contact our office or visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Karen Ann Whitton
Faculty Payroll Assistant
- See pay schedule on HR website.
- Always click Save after entering hours, comments or making changes.
- Submit time sheets on or before end of pay period (Saturday 11:59 p.m.).
- Contact your supervisor if you need to make any changes after you have clicked the Submit button.
- Remind your supervisor to approve your time sheet.
- For help contact Payroll Office at 718-990-1471.
Begin Web Time Sheet
- Logon to UIS and enter your ID and PIN.
- Click the Employee tab.
- Click the Time Sheet link.
- Click the Access my Time Sheet button.
- Click on the title and department button for your active job.
- From the pay period drop down list, select the current pay period.
- Click the time sheet button.
- Click on Enter Hours under the date worked and in the row for appropriate earning code. Students can only enter Regular hours.
- Students will enter time in and out for the day.
- Full-time Staff employees only enter total hours worked for the day.
- Do not change the number in the shift box.
- Click Save button.
- Use copy button if you work the same hours and copy to one or more days.
If you have not submitted your hours you can change hours anytime before the end of the pay period:
- Click on the hours under the date you want to change.
- Change the hours for the date
- Click the Save button.
You can enter comments on your time sheet to explain changes from your normal work schedule. Your supervisor will see these comments and may also enter comments for you to view or for Payroll Staff. Use the comments to explain hours owed or changes you are making from a previous pay period.
- Click the Comments button on the Time Sheet page.
- Enter your comments.
- Click the Save button.
Submitting Time Sheet
The last step after you have entered all hours for the pay period is to submit your time sheet for approval.
Failure to submit your time sheet will result in no hours and no pay for the pay period.
- Click the Submit for Approval button
- Enter your PIN on the Certification Statement page. This is your last opportunity to go back and change any hours.
- Click the Submit button.
Remember to close your web browser when you have completed your time sheet.
For additional assistance, please contact the Payroll Office at 718-990-1471.
Table of Contents
- Understanding User Roles and Status
- Process Flow Chart
- A. Logging On UIS Web
- B. Welcome Page
- C. Employee Main Menu
- D. Selection Criteria
- E. Status Definitions
- F. Entering Time
- G. Time In and Time out for Part-time employees
- H. Entering Hours for Full-time employees
- I. Restarting
- J. Enter Comments
- K. Submitting Time
- L. Altering Time After Submission
- M. Returned for Correction
- N. Certifying Time
View complete Web Time Entry Guide
View the Part-time Instructions.
View the Supervisor Instructions.
View the Troubleshooting Guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Web Time Sheet is here! This new web-based time reporting and approval process will be introduced to all University departments. Each department will receive hands-on training prior to implementation. Payroll staff will be available to answer questions and assist with any problems. The web time sheet is accessible by login into the University Information System (UIS).
How will Supervisors or Approvers know when to approve time sheets?
Approvers will follow the current bi-weekly pay schedule. Time sheets can be approved as soon as they have been submitted by the employee. However, all time sheets must be approved on or before the end of the pay period (Saturday). Since the time sheet is being entered directly on-line Approvers have more time to electronically forward time sheet to Payroll. They can monitor attendance and view their department work hours on-line.
What if my Approver is on vacation?
All Approvers are required to set up a Proxy who is authorized to approve time in the absence of the Approver. Approvers must notify their Proxy when they need to approve time. If the Proxy is not available, Approver must contact Payroll to approve time or submit paper time-sheet.
What if my Approver resigns or I transfer departments?
Any change in Approver status should be communicated to the Payroll Office.
Payroll can overwrite the Approval process or assign a new approver.
What if I have more than one supervisor?
If you have two supervisors, one supervisor will be designated as Primary Approver and the other supervisor as FYI (For Your Information only). Records are routed to the FYI supervisor for viewing only. No approval is required by the FYI, since the Primary Approver or Proxy will approve all time reported.
What do the new time sheets look like?
The format of the web time sheet looks different, but contains all the earning codes and employee information needed. Additional information not currently found on the paper time sheet is also included to allow for more accurate time keeping.
Will all earning codes be listed?
All of the common earn codes applicable to non-exempt employees will be listed on the time sheet. If you need to report time for a code not listed, contact your Payroll Office.
How many past time sheets can I view as an employee?
At this time, we are only providing access to 3 months of time sheets. If requested, Payroll will provide you with previous months or years time sheets. There is no need to print or store paper time sheets.
Am I required to enter hours each day?
Yes, it is strongly recommended that employees record all hours on a daily basis. By doing so, you will build a habit of entering time and supervisors can review attendance records daily.
What if I need to make a change to the time sheet?
Employees can make changes until the time sheet is submitted to the Approver. If you have already submitted your timesheet, your Approver can either make the change for you or send it back to you for correction. If the Approver has already approved the incorrect timesheet, contact the Payroll Office.
What if I submit my time sheet to my Approver on Friday and then work on Saturday?
Communicate with your Approver. If the Approver has not yet approved your time sheet, the Approver can make the change for you or send it back to you for correction. If it is past the pay period and too late for payroll to adjust, you can include the hours on the next timesheet with a comment to explain additional hours.
What if employee is out sick when time sheets are due?
Contact your Approver and the Payroll Office. Time sheets can be approved by Payroll with authorization from the Approver.
What if an employee is gone an entire payroll period?
Either contact Payroll to move the time sheet to the Approver, or complete a paper time sheet when you return.
Can I submit my time-sheet at the beginning of the pay period?
Yes, you may submit your time before the end of the pay period if you will be out of the office when time sheets are due. Notify your supervisor if you are submitting your time in advance.
How do I train new employees?
Web Time Sheet is very simple to use and training can be done from any web enabled computer. We encourage all departments to train new employees as part of their department procedure; however, if necessary you may contact the Payroll Office for training.
For additional information or training, please contact:
- Check the Pay Schedule located on the HR website: http://www.stjohns.edu/faculty/hr/payroll
- Enter hours worked every day
- Submit your hours on or before the due date
- Remind your Supervisor to approve your hours
- Contact Payroll Office if you have any problems