The EducationUSA Academy at St. John’s University is a noncredit program for teenagers who want to learn more about higher education in the US and what opportunities suit you best—all in the greatest city in the world!
The program will be held on the Queens campus, offering exposure to a large-scale American university. In the program, you attend university preparation classes, complete an Academic Service-Learning project, and participate in special workshops to help you experience, understand, and prepare for possible future study in a US university or college.
Founded in 1870 to serve the children of immigrants, St. John’s University has a long tradition of embracing the world.
Today, St. John’s has nearly 21,000 students and is a global, metropolitan university with campuses in New York City, Rome, and Paris, and study abroad programs in many exciting cities. It offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate majors to a multinational and multiethnic student population.
Outside the campus walls, you meet admission officers and visit other New York City academic institutions including top-tier, public, and two-year universities.
Throughout the program, you participate in specially designed formal and informal activities and trips that involve meeting and socializing with diverse groups including other teens, students, University personnel and faculty, and New Yorkers on and off campus. By the program’s end, you have experienced diverse cultures and beliefs, gained academic skills and readiness, become familiar with various academic institutions, volunteered to help others, and made new friends—all in a safe, welcoming, and fun environment!
Academic program features include
- University readiness and test preparation courses
- Weekly sessions on writing a personal statement for college applications
- Workshops on US academic institutions and the application requirements and process
- Academic service-learning project
- Visits to four colleges/universities in New York City
- One-on-one college advisement
Possible activities include
- Movie night
- Game night
- Sports night
- Ice cream social
- Central Park
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
- Times Square
- The Statue of Liberty
- Circle Line Cruise
- Mini-golf on the Hudson River
- The Bronx Zoo
- The American Museum of Natural History
- NY Mets baseball game
Session 1: June 30-July 13
Session 2: July 24-August 8
St. John’s University, Queens Campus
8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY 11439
$3,610 per session
- Tuition and materials
- Housing on campus
- Local transportation
- Entrance fees to off-campus activities
- Health insurance
Airfare and US visa costs are not included.
- 15–17 years old
- Current high school student
- All levels of English proficiency accepted
- Online interview
- Completed online application
- B1/B2 visa; Visa Waiver; J1 visa (only for sponsored students)
Safety and Security:
- 24-hour supervision on- and off-campus
For more information, please complete the inquiry form.
To apply, click here.
To learn more about EducationUSA Academies, click here