Policy 308 - Lost Paychecks

Section: Compensation
Policy Number: 308
Responsible Office: HR/Payroll
Effective Date: 4/1/01
Revised: 4/28/04


In most cases, the Payroll Office will replace University payroll checks that are lost, stolen, or mutilated. To avoid delay in payment due to lost, stolen or mutilated checks, employees are encouraged to use direct deposit.


As soon as an employee becomes aware that his or her paycheck has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, he or she should notify the Payroll Office and complete a request for a manual check form. The Payroll Office will report lost or stolen checks to the bank immediately. Once Payroll receives the bank’s written confirmation that a stop payment was placed on the check, a new check will be issued to the employee. In general, confirmation of a stop payment can take 10 business days.

If a check is mutilated, all remaining pieces should be returned to the Payroll Office. Mutilated checks will be reissued within 5 business days.

If a check is stolen, and payment is made as a result of forgery, the employee may complete a notarized Affidavit of forgery. The Affidavit will be sent to the bank and a copy will be placed on file. The bank will investigate the claim. Upon completion of the investigation, if a determination of forgery is made, a new check will be issued.

St. John's University, New York
Human Resources Policy Manual