St. John's Inbound Exchange Programs

Are you ready for a semester in the US?

All of the tools you need to secure a bright future are found at St. John’s University. With world-class academics, renowned professors, state-of-the-art resources, and a long tradition of excellence and service, St. John’s prepares you to change the world for the better.

How it works

Apply with your school’s study abroad office. Only students who are nominated to us are considered. 

How do I pay for it?

You continue to pay tuition at your home university. Keep in mind, though, that the cost of living and housing, visa fees, and extracurricular activities are your responsibility. Exchange students are required to take at least 12 credits each semester.

Do I qualify?

All courses are taught in English; applicants require an 80+ on the TOEFL 

3.0 GPA required.

Prepare to submit the following:

A nomination letter from your home university

Passport bio page image

Official transcript

Health forms (downloadable from the application portal)

Approved course selections

Once a nominee is accepted, we will work to set up housing and a course schedule. 

Which courses can I take?

St. John’s offers more than 50 majors of study. Use the links below to explore our Schools and Colleges.

St. John’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

The School of Education

The Peter J. Tobin College of Business

College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences

The Lesley H. and William L. Collins College of Professional Studies

Please click here and select the appropriate college, level, semester, and campus to view the available courses for your preferred semester. You can also check out the undergraduate bulletin to view a complete list of offerings. Note: not every course listed in that bulletin is available every semester.

How do I apply?

Start your journey here by creating your online profile. 

For more information, contact [email protected].

Want to learn more? Explore your options here.

In order to study at St. John's University as an exchange student,  you must complete the form DS-2019 to obtain a J-1 visa. The St. John’s University Office of International Student and Scholar Services will issue you a DS-2019 certificate upon receipt of the properly completed application. Next, we will then mail you the form along with the visa compliance information.

All international students must pay the $350 SEVIS I-901 fee to the United States Department of Homeland Security online as per the instructions sent with the immigration document (DS-2019). Please see below for a few frequently asked questions to assist with the visa process:  

Exchange students may request to stay in  University housing near our Queens campus. If you’d like to apply for university accommodations, please indicate so on your exchange application – the housing application will be sent to you with your acceptance letter.

Exchange students will pay tuition to their home institution for the courses taken at St. John's University. In addition, they will also be responsible for St. John's University fees, including the University General Fee, Student Government Activities Fee and Health Insurance Fee. Students who plan to live in St. John’s student housing will also be responsible for all appropriate room and board fees. Please see below for an up-to-date list of fees:



Please note that there are travel requirements imposed on international arrivals to the US. You can read more about it here.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has announced a new order for all air passengers traveling to the United States. Effective November 8, 2021, all non-immigrant, non-citizen air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.

The CDC recommends that you do not travel internationally until you are fully vaccinated. International travel poses additional risks, and even fully vaccinated travelers might be at increased risk for getting and possibly spreading some COVID-19 variants. Delay travel and stay home to protect yourself and others from COVID-19. If you do travel, follow all CDC recommendations before, during, and after travel.

Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.

New Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.

Updated Pre-departure Testing Requirements for Air Travelers to the U.S.

Starting on December 6, 2021, air travelers aged two and older, regardless of nationality or vaccination status, are required to show documentation of a negative viral test result taken within one day of the flight’s departure to the United States before boarding. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight. That includes all travelers – U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (LPRs), and foreign nationals.

If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

Exemptions will be considered on an extremely limited basis. Please visit the CDC for more information about exemptions and the requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19, including types of accepted tests for all air passengers arriving in the United States.

Please see the CDC website for further information on the Omicron Variant.

Always check with your airline for other regulations or restrictions.