Two UG Students walking on campus

Public Administration in Government, Adv Certificate

Government and Politics


Earn a certificate in Public Administration from St. John's University in New York City! 

The Department of Government and Politics offers students the opportunity to complete a Certificate in Public Administration. This certificate can be obtained independently or as a complement to the master’s degree, and students who have already completed their M.A. degree in the department may continue to study for the certificate. Please note that no federal aid is available to students who pursue the certificate independently from the M.A. degree.

Department Faculty

Please see a list of our Government and Politics faculty.

Contact Information

Fred P. Cocozzelli, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Government and Politics
St. John Hall, Room 234C
[email protected]

apply request info plan your visit


The certificate requires students to successfully complete 18 credits of Public Policy and Political Administration courses. At least six credits must be taken from among the following:

  • GOV 163 Ethical Problems in Government and Public Administration
  • GOV 181 Principles of Public Administration
  • GOV 189 Political and Administrative Problems of Developing Nations
  • GOV 190 Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining in Government
  • GOV 216 United States Intelligence Policy
  • GOV 218 Public Policy – American
  • GOV 241 State and Local Government
  • GOV 296 Politics of the Welfare State

Additional Information


The Pope Paul VI Scholarship, which began in 1965, is available to diplomatic personnel from Permanent Missions to the United Nations (UN), as well as UN personnel interested in pursuing a Master of Arts in Government and Politics or an Advanced Certificate in International Law and Diplomacy or Public Administration. Eligible candidates must provide a letter of proof of employment to verify the student’s affiliation with the United Nations or Embassy. This partial scholarship covers 50 percent of tuition for the M.A. in Government and Politics or the Advanced Certificates in International Law and Diplomacy or Public Administration.

Graduate Assistantships

Please see Graduate Assistantships and Doctoral Fellowships for more information.