Reporting Sexual Assault

How do I report sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking at St. John's?

Report Sexual Misconduct You Are Not Alone

The University’s Title IX and N.Y. Education Law Article 129-B Sexual Misconduct Policy and Procedures prohibit sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking.  If you have experienced sexual misconduct, whether it took place on or off campus, we encourage you to report it to the Title IX Coordinators or Public Safety immediately so that we can offer you supportive measures and options for moving forward.


Reporting Options At-a-Glance

What are my options? View the Reporting Options At-a-Glance Title IX poster.

^ Top

Reporting Options

You have the right to make a report to Public Safety, the local law enforcement and State Police or choose not to report; to report the incident to St. John’s University; to be protected by the University from retaliation for reporting an incident; and to receive assistance and resources from the University.

As an international student, you have the same rights as all students to report and to receive support and resources for sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence and/or stalking regardless of your immigration or visa status. The University will not retaliate against you or treat you differently. Furthermore, as an international student, you may obtain additional support and information about your immigration or visa status, including options for U and T visas, through the International Students and Scholars Office at 718-990-6083.

You also have the right to file a report with Human Resources if the accused is an employee and to have an employee confidentially assist you with filing that report.

Faculty, Staff, and Administrators

If you share an incident of sexual violence, dating violence, domestic violence, and/or stalking with a St. John’s employee (excluding members of the Center for Counseling and Consultation, Health Services and the Campus Support Advisors working in their respective capacities), they are required by University policy to report this information to Public Safety and/or the Title IX Coordinator. Reports made to a St. John’s administrator or faculty will trigger a University response which may involve an investigation by Public Safety and/or the Title IX Coordinator.

Title IX Coordinator

Reports of sexual violence can also be made to St. John’s Title IX Coordinator, Danielle Haynes, Interim Director of Equal Opportunity and Compliance and Title IX Coordinator. Ms. Haynes' office is located on the Queens campus in the Office of Human Resources, University Center, and she can be contacted at 718-990-2660 or [email protected].

Jackie Lochrie, Associate Dean for Student Services, serves as the Title IX Deputy Coordinator for the Division of Student Affairs. Ms. Lochrie's office is located on the Queens campus in Bent Hall, Room G023, and she can be contacted at 718-990-6568 or [email protected].

Kathleen F. Meehan, Associate Vice President for Athletics, serves as the Title IX Deputy Coordinator for Athletics. Ms. Meehan’s office is located on the Queens campus in Carnesecca Arena, Room 157, and she can be contacted at 718-990-6173 or [email protected].

Following a report, Ms. Haynes or her deputy, Ms. Lochrie, will investigate and respond to your complaint.

When Should I Contact a Title IX Coordinator?

If you have concerns about sex discrimination including sexual harassment, sexual violence, or misconduct please seek the assistance of a Title IX Coordinator. For example, we encourage you to contact a Title IX Coordinator if you:

  • Think you may have encountered sex discrimination or sexual misconduct and wish to understand your options
  • Learn of a situation that you feel may warrant a University investigation
  • Need help on how to handle a situation by which you are indirectly affected
  • Seek guidance on possible methods of de-escalating or alleviating a difficult situation
  • Have questions on St. John’s policies and procedures

St. John’s Department of Public Safety

St. John’s Department of Public Safety is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 718-990-5252. Public Safety Officers are available to assist you with contacting or reporting an incident to local law enforcement and/or to the local District Attorney’s Office. You also have a right to decline to report incidents to law enforcement. Reports made to Public Safety will trigger a University response which may involve an investigation by Public Safety and/or the Title IX Coordinator. There may be times when the Department of Public Safety or another administrator may contact local law enforcement regarding the nature of an alleged incident, however, it is always your decision whether or not to cooperate with any law enforcement investigation.

Reporting Incidents to Law Enforcement

To report incidents of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and/or stalking or conduct that may constitute a crime while attending St. John's Queens, Staten Island or Manhattan campuses please contact the St. John's University's Department of Public Safety, local law enforcement, or the law enforcement agency in the applicable jurisdiction. Please note that St. John's and standards necessary to deem someone in violation of sexual misconduct, are different than those used by the criminal justice system. If you have specific questions about potential violation of criminal law we will assist you with connecting with the NYPD and/or local district attorney's office.

New York City Police Department
The New York City Police Department can be reached by calling 911 or the New York Police Department Special Victims Report Line: 212-267-RAPE (7273) or Domestic Violence Unit 212-335-4308.

Prosecutor's Office
Report to the NYPD's rape hotline: 212-267-RAPE (7273) or by calling:

  • Queens District Attorney's Office, Special Victims Bureau: 718-286-6505
  • Manhattan District Attorney's Office, Sex Crimes Unit: 212-335-9373

To report criminal actions or emergencies while attending a global site, promptly contact the onsite Resident Director, the Queens campus Department of Public Safety, or local law enforcement personnel by calling 112.

Global Campuses

Rome, Italy
Security Desk
Public Safety (Queens)
Local Law Enforcement
Paris, France
Security Desk
Public Safety (Queens)
Local Law Enforcement
Seville, Spain
Assistant Director
Public Safety (Queens)
Local Law Enforcement

^ Top

In addition, you might be interested in obtaining an "Order of Protection" or "Temporary Restraining Order." An Order of Protection is a document issued by a public court to limit the behavior of someone who harms or threatens to harm another person. It is used to address various types of safety issues, including, but not limited to, situations involving domestic violence. For example, it can require a person not to assault, threaten, harass or stalk you; it can forbid a person from having any contact with you and/or your family or it can require a person to stay away from your home or the University (where you study, work and live).

Upon request, Public Safety Officers within St. John’s Department of Public Safety are available to provide you with assistance in seeking an Order of Protection or a Temporary Restraining Order, but a Public Safety Office cannot request an Order of Protection or Temporary Restraining Order on your behalf.

In New York, Family Courts, Criminal Courts and Supreme Courts can all issue Orders of Protection.

Family Court Order of Protection

This is issued as part of a civil proceeding. Its purpose is to stop violence within a family, or within an intimate relationship, and provide protection for those individuals affected.

To obtain an order of protection in the Family Court, your relationship to the other person must fall into one of the following categories:

  • Current or former spouse
  • Someone with whom you have a child in common
  • A family member to whom you are related by blood or marriage
  • Someone with whom you have or have had an “intimate relationship.” An intimate relationship does not have to be a sexual relationship. A relationship may be considered intimate depending on factors such as how often you see each other, or how long you have known each other. (After a petition is filed, the court will decide if it is an intimate relationship).

To start a proceeding in Family Court, you need to file a form called a Family Offense Petition. You can contact the Family Court in your county for help completing and filing the petition.

Criminal Court Order of Protection

A criminal court order of protection may only be issued against a person who has been charged with a crime. There does not need to be a relationship between the complaining witness and the defendant.

Supreme Court Order of Protection

This can only be issued as part of an ongoing divorce proceeding. If you have an ongoing divorce case and would like to request an order of protection, you may do so by making a written request by Motion or Order to Show Cause; or you may make an oral request at a court appearance.

In addition, there are many community resources available to assist in matters relating to sexual assault, such as the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault on the web at

Through contact with the University Resources listed above, members of the University community can get help to identify appropriate resources.

^ Top

Notice of Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity

St. John’s University does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, age, gender or sex (including sexual harassment and sexual violence), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital or partnership status, alienage or citizenship status, disability, genetic predisposition, caregiver status, pregnancy, sexual and reproductive health decisions, status as a victim of domestic violence/sex offense/stalking, status in the uniformed services of the United States (including veteran status), arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, unemployment status or any other basis prohibited by law in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Amendments Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VI or Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies.

^ Top

Training Information

SCIAll materials used to train Title IX Coordinators, investigators, decision-makers, and any person who facilitates an informal resolution process have been provided by the SUNY Student Conduct Institute. To view these materials, please visit

^ Top