Office of the Registrar

School of Law

  • Publishes the academic calendar
  • Processes the following forms
    • Bar applications
    • Certification of enrollment
    • Character committee forms
    • Examination conflicts
    • Letters of good standing
    • Loan deferments
    • Transcript requests
  • Prepares the course schedule, registration materials, and the final examination schedule.
  • Administers midterms and final exams according to policies and procedures established by the Faculty Council and Dean.
  • Processes grades and awards.

To order a transcript, please follow the directions in the "Request a Transcript" menu below by expanding the section with the "+" sign.

The following forms may be downloaded:

Student Records Access & Confidentiality (FERPA)

The Law School Office of the Registrar, located on the 4th floor (Room 4-58) of Belson Hall, is open Monday through Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., unless otherwise posted.


As part of the transition to a remote workforce and to assist efforts of containment we may not be able to process transcripts on a daily basis; however, the Law School Registrar’s Office is still working to fulfill transcript requests weekly.  We appreciate your patience at this time and be assured that the health and well being of our community remains the University’s highest priority. 

There are three ways you can order a transcript of your academic record at St. John’s University:

Electronic Transcripts (PDF)

Electronic Transcripts (PDF) are now available. Delivery is within hours of the request being processed. PDF transcripts are not available for students or alumni who attended prior to 1990 (please see below).

If you need a form or document included with your transcript, please use the electronic transcript request method of delivery. You will be able to upload your fully completed documents to be sent along with your transcript.

Requestors will receive an email confirmation when the transcript is available for the recipient to download and another email when the transcript has been downloaded by the recipient.

PDF document delivery is becoming increasingly common across institutions, organizations, and agencies. However, before requesting PDF transcript delivery, please verify that the recipient will accept an electronic transcript. Additionally, it is important that you verify the correct email address for transmission of the transcript.

Official PDF transcripts are transmitted electronically to the recipient and is intended solely for use by the recipient. The official transcript has been digitally signed and therefore contains special characteristics.

The Blue Ribbon Symbol is assurance that the digital certificate is valid, the document is authentic, and the contents of the transcript have not been altered.

If the transcript does not display a valid certification and signature message an invalid digital certificate display means either the digital signature is not authentic, or the document has been altered. The digital signature can also be revoked by the transcript office if there is cause, and digital signatures can expire. A document with an invalid digital signature display should be rejected.

Lastly, one other possible message, Author Unknown, can have two possible meanings: The certificate is a self-signed certificate or has been issued by an unknown or untrusted certificate authority and therefore has not been trusted, or the revocation check could not complete. If this message is received make sure there is a proper connection to the internet. If there is a connection and the digital signature cannot be validated, reject the document.

Electronic Transcripts are $6 per copy, payable by credit card only. St. John’s University has partnered with Parchment for electronic transcript delivery.

Click here to Order eTranscript.

Any questions with electronic transcripts please call: 847-716-3005. 

Anyone who attended St. John’s prior to 1990 should submit a written request for a transcript.

Via the Web in UIS

Current students may order transcripts via the web by logging into UIS. Under the Student menu click the Student Records link. From the Student Records menu, select Request Printed/Official Transcript and follow the prompts. Please take special care entering the name and address of the recipient of your transcript.  These will print on the transcript exactly as you enter them.

Recent alumni who continue to have access to UIS may also order transcripts online.

Email or Mail-In Requests

Please note the following information does not apply to undergraduate or graduate students.

Law school alumni may order transcripts by emailing or mailing a request.  To do so, print and fill out the Transcript Request Form and send it to the email address or mailing address provided on the form.

Transcript Request Form (PDF)

(For Law School Alumni Only)

St. John’s University School of Law
Office of the Registrar
Belson Hall Room 4-58
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY  11439

Transcripts are processed within 3-5 business days following the receipt of the request.

Transcript Questions:
Undergraduate and Graduate students email  [email protected]
Law School students email [email protected]

New York State's "Enough is Enough" Legislation

Effective October 5, 2015, New York State Legislation Article 129-B requires that, based on selected student conduct findings, all colleges and universities add notations to student transcripts. Through St. John’s University’s student conduct process, students found responsible for crimes of violence, including but not limited to, sexual violence will have the following transcript notations added:

  • Suspension Notation: Suspended after the finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.
  • Expulsion Notation: Expelled after the finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.
  • Notation if student withdraws from St John’s University while the investigation of the complaint is pending: Withdrew with conduct charges pending.

Those seeking the removal of a transcript notation for a suspension must submit a written appeal to the Office of the Registrar.  All such appeals will be reviewed by the Transcript Appeals Committee comprised of the Dean of Students or designee, the University Registrar or designee, and other University administrators as deemed appropriate. Suspension notations will not be removed prior to one year after the conclusion of the suspension. Expulsion notations are permanent.

If a finding of responsibility is vacated, for any reason, any related transcript notations will be removed.

Transcript Notations:

Significantly, Article 129-B mandates that higher education institutions include notations on the transcripts of students found responsible through the institution’s conduct process for crimes of violence, including, but not limited to, sexual violence, as set forth in 20 U.S.C. 1092(f)(1)(F)(i)(I)-(VIII) of the Clery Act. Such transcript notations must state “suspended after the finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation” or “expelled after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation,” as applicable. Should the student withdraw from the higher education institution while the investigation of the complaint is pending, his or her transcript must note “withdrew with conduct charges pending.” Higher education institutions must have in place written policies regarding such transcript notations, which, at a minimum,  provide an appeals process for students seeking removal of such notations in accordance with Article 129-B.

Ann Hurt
Registrar, School of Law
[email protected]

Ellen Gamber
Registrar's Assistant, School of Law
[email protected]

Carron Anderson
Assistant Registrar, School of Law
[email protected]

Kay Alexander
Registrar's Assistant, School of Law
[email protected]

Joanne C. D'Anca
Receptionist, School of Law
[email protected]

Kevin Winsch
Part-Time Registrar's Assistant, School of Law
[email protected]

Office of the Registrar, School of Law
law[email protected] 

St. John’s University recognizes that some students may prefer to identify themselves by a First Name and/or Middle Name other than their Legal Name. For this reason beginning with the Fall 2018 semester, the University will enable students to use a Preferred Name where possible in the course of University business and education.

Students may request this service by completing a Preferred Name Change Request form (PDF) in person in the Office of the Registrar. The student’s Preferred First Name and/or Middle Name may be used in many University contexts, such as MySJU, Blackboard, class rosters and ID Cards. Please note the University is legally required to use a student’s Legal Name for official records, however, whenever reasonably possible a student’s Preferred Name will be used.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Preferred Name?

A Preferred Name is a name a student wishes to be known by in the University community that is different from a student’s Legal Name. St. John’s University policy covers Preferred First Name and/or Middle Name. Students who wish to change their Legal Name can obtain information from the Office of the Registrar.

What is a Legal Name? 

A Legal Name is the name that appears on your passport, driver’s license, birth certificate, or U.S. Social Security Card.

Do I have to use a Preferred Name?

No. Use of a Preferred Name is optional.

Where will my Preferred Name be used? 

  • MY SJU
  • Class Rosters
  • Blackboard
  • University ID cards
  • Grading Rosters

Where will my Legal Name be used?

  • Diplomas and Commencement Information
  • Academic Certification
  • Transcripts
  • Financial Aid
  • Bursar’s Office/Billing Information 
  • National Student Clearinghouse
  • Athletics Rosters
  • Department of Public Safety
  • International Students Documentation/SEVIS
  • Student Financial Services Documents
  • Federal Request for Information
  • Judicial Records

How do I get my Preferred Name on my St. John’s ID card?

  • Once the Office of the Registrar has approved your Preferred Name, if you wish to have your name on your ID card changed you can do so at no cost in the Storm Card Office. Please allow 24 business hours after receiving notice that your name has been changed before going to the Storm Card Office.
  • Please note: Only your preferred first name and your legal last name will print on your ID card due to limited space.

Can I change my email address to better match my preferred name?

  • Yes, once the Office of the Registrar has approved your Preferred Name, your email address will be changed at that time.  It will take 24 - 48 business hours for this change to take effect. An IT Service Desk representative will call/email you when your email address has been changed.

Are there any Preferred Name restrictions?

  • Preferred Names may not be used for purposes of fraud or misrepresentation. The University reserves the right to deny a Preferred Name if it is determined inappropriate or if it contains offensive language.