Elayne E. Greenberg
Assistant Dean of Dispute Resolution Programs
Professor of Legal Practice
Director, Hugh L. Carey Center for Dispute Resolution.
Elayne E. Greenberg became the first Director of The Hugh L. Carey Center for Dispute Resolution at St. John's in 2009. She offers an unmatched breadth and depth of experience in dispute resolution. She is a mediator and conflict management consultant who has developed programs, educated, trained, written and lectured internationally on the subject of negotiations, mediation, hybrid dispute resolution processes, dispute resolution ethics and advocacy in dispute resolution.
Professor Greenberg's deep involvement in the field is evidenced by the innovative dispute resolution programs that she has developed and implemented including: ABI- St. John's Bankruptcy Mediation Training, the first national bankruptcy mediation program; Ghana Mediation Training Program to help implement Ghana ADR Act (co-developer and trainer); OSHA's Whistleblower Mediation Program (consultant); Court-connected mediation programs in Queens, Nassau and Manhattan; a divorce mediation program for Catholic Charities; a client-focused system for a network of shelters for the homeless designed to help transition those individuals living in shelters to independent living; and the first parenting coordination program in New York State.
As a mediator, Professor Greenberg has mediated cases for the Department of Justice, Occupational Safety & Health Administration, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, New York Unified Court System Surrogate's Court. Professor Greenberg has also mediated cases with disputes involving the following industries: real estate; entertainment; health care; food; transportation; social service; education and retail.
Professor Greenberg has also influenced public policy, shaping the development of Alternative Dispute Resolution in a variety of positions, including:
- Task Force Member, ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Legal Education, ADT, and Problem-Solving (LEAPS) Task Force
- Subcommittee on Education: Integrating ADR on the New York Bar Exam
- Subcommittee on Education of NYSBA Section of Dispute Resolution
- Chair, New York State Bar Association Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution;
- Chair, Ethics Committee of the New York State Bar Section of Dispute Resolution;
- Board Member, Advisory Board, Manhattan Surrogate's Court Pilot Mediation
- Board Member, Association of Conflict Resolution of Greater New York, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) Advisory Council;
- Editorial Board, Family Court Review;
- Board and Founding Member, New York Chapter of AFCC;
- Barrister, New York Family Law American Inn of Court;
- Founding Member and Co-chair, Parenting Coordinator’s Association of New York.
- Board Member, Association for Conflict Rresolution of New York(ACRGNY)
Prior to coming to St. John's, Professor Greenberg taught at Hofstra Law School and Hofstra’s Graduate Program in Psychology; Yeshiva University Reits Fellow Program; and CUNY School of Law.
Professor Greenberg was selected by Best Lawyers in America as among the top New York lawyers in the field of Alternative Dispute Resolution for 2005 through 2014.