Online Student Center
Summary of Juris Doctor Requirements
Effective Fall 2020 and After
This checklist is a summary only. For official requirements and details, consult the Student Handbook and the personalized DegreeWorks audit tool available via the Signon portal.
Students may take no more than sixteen (16) credits during the Fall or Spring semester, inclusive of pre-session courses.
Full-time students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester; part-time students must take between 8-11 credits per semester.
After completion of the full 1L sequence, students must take an average of 14-15 credits per semester to complete the J.D. degree within three (3) years.
For registration priority purposes, students are considered 2Ls upon completion of twenty-nine (29) credits, and are considered 3Ls upon completion of fifty-eight (58) credits.
Important Registration Notes:
This checklist is designed as a summary only. For official requirements and details, consult the Student Handbook.
(1) 89 earned credit hours (36 credits in required courses; 53 credits in elective offerings).
(2) Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.1
(3) Required courses
Note: Some students are also required to take Advanced Analytical Skills and/or Applied Legal Analysis I and II.
(4) Core elective courses
Pick at least 4 out of these 5 core electives.
(5) Scholarly Writing Requirement. Complete prior to entering final semester.
(6) Experiential Learning Requirement. Complete all 3 categories for a total of at least 6 credits:
(7) Law School Residency Requirement (students applying for bar admission in New York should also inform themselves of the New York Court of Appeals’ residency rules)