Semester Program Deadlines
|St. John’s Semester Programs||Semester Exchange Programs|
Application: March 31
Deposit: April 7
Application: March 1
Deposit : March 15
Application: October 14
Deposit: October 21
Application: September 30
Deposit: October 15
Short-Term Program Deadlines
|Program Session||Application Deadline||Deposit Deadline|
|Dean's International Opportunities Program||September 11||October 6|
|Winter Intersession Programs||October 13||October 20|
|Spring Semester Embedded Travel Courses||October 13||October 20|
|Summer Programs||March 15||March 22|
|Fall Semester Embedded Travel Courses||March 30||April 6|
To be eligible for semester programs, you must complete at least one year of full-time undergraduate study and have a minimum 2.75 GPA. Transfer students in their first semester at St. John's may apply if they have completed a full year of undergraduate study and their GPA from their previous institution meets the 2.75 minimum requirement. Freshmen are welcome to attend the Global Passport program, our embedded programs and our short-term programs.
Information regarding your next steps, or the program fee refund schedule and appeal process if you are unable to participate in your confirmed program, is found on the Accepted Student Site under (#2) Confirm Your Participation.
Semester & Short-Term Programs
Applications are subject to approval by the student's dean or academic advisor as well as the St. John's Office of Student Conduct. Decisions are usually made within 2-3 weeks of application, and we will notify you of application decisions by email. Apply early and don't miss your opportunity to participate in a program abroad! We’ve found that spring programs tend to fill by the beginning of October and some fall programs by the beginning of April. We will continue to accept applications as long as space is available and create waitlists when possible. Click here for the Waitlist Procedure. Once you are accepted, you will need to submit a $250 non-refundable deposit along with your required forms in order to confirm your participation. Please read the instructions below carefully, but contact us if you have any questions.
SJU Undergraduate Students
Applying is easy! Just follow these steps:
- Log on to MySJU to fill out the online study abroad application. Click on the UIS tab; choose “Student,” then “Registration,” and finally “Global Studies Application.”
- Follow the instructions provided in UIS, including selecting your courses for study abroad, including alternate courses. Discover the World: Europe students must select at least one course per city. All semester students must register for at least 3 in-person courses.
- If you are a transfer student in your first semester at St. John's, you will need to print out the Course Option Form for your program and review the GPA from your previous institution with your advising dean, demonstrating that you meet the 2.75 GPA requirement for study abroad. Once the Course Option Form is approved by your dean, return it to the OGS. We will then confirm your eligibility to participate in a study abroad program with the Office of Student Conduct, and process your application.
- If you are a freshman in your first semester at St. John's, you will need to print out the Course Option Form for your program and make an appointment with the University Freshman Center for approval. Once the Course Option Form is approved, return it to the OGS. We will then confirm your eligibility to participate in a study abroad program with the Office of Student Conduct, and process your application.
- If you are a dual-degree student, you will need to print out the Course Option Form for your selected study abroad program and ask for your advising dean's approval. Once the Course Option Form is approved by your dean, return it to the OGS. We will then confirm your eligibility to participate in a study abroad program with the Office of Student Conduct, and process your application.
- If you are having trouble with the online study abroad application available on UIS, please come to the Office of Global Studies for assistance.
SJU Graduate Students
Due to limitations with UIS, graduate students are required to complete our paper application. In order to apply for a program, please print and complete the Course Option Form related to your program. You must obtain the signature of your dean or academic advisor on your Course Option Form in order to ensure that you will receive credit toward your course of study. Please submit your completed materials to the Office of Global Studies. We will then confirm your eligibility to participate in a study abroad program with the Office of Student Conduct, and process your application.
Visiting (Non-St. John's) Students
Embedded & Exchange Programs
Programs such as the Dean's Fellowship, Global Passport, Semester Exchanges and Tobin's Global Destination Courses have slightly different deadlines and application process; however, the same confirmation process applies. Please refer to the list below for detailed instructions: