Health and Safety Regulations
- Any personal property stored in a student room or suite must not interfere with the health and safety of the residents and must not damage University property.
- Residents may not keep excessive trash in their rooms, suites, or common areas.
- All items drawing on electrical current must meet the federal, state, and University safety regulations.
- Surge protectors should be used with items that require a large amount of electricity (i.e., televisions, refrigerators, and computers, etc.).
- Extension cords may not be taped, tacked or stapled to any surface.
- The following appliances are permissible in the residence halls, with the stipulation that they have an automatic shut-off feature:
- Coffee pots and single cup coffee systems
- Pop Up toasters
- Closed-element popcorn poppers
- Hot pot and rice cookers
- Foreman Grills and Panini Presses
- No bicycles allowed in the residence halls
Residence Life staff members will look for the following during an inspection:
- Prohibited items
- Cleanliness/healthy living environment
- Safety violations
If a room/suite fails a health and safety inspection and the violation does not pose an immediate threat, the room/suite will be warned and reinspected within 48 hours.Failure to pass a second inspection may result in judicial action and a fine.