Donor Bill of Rights
To ensure your confidence in the St. John’s mission and the causes you support, we declare the following donor rights:
- Donations will be used solely to further the mission of the University.
- Information from or about a donor will be held in the strictest confidence and shall not be disclosed without the consent of the donor.
- Designated donations shall be used for the purposes for which they were given. If conditions do not make this possible, then alternative use(s) will be negotiated with the donor.
- Donor will receive a tax receipt for charitable donations.
- Donations for events (e.g. ticket sales) will disclose the actual amount of the ticket price that is receiptable as a charitable donation.
- All communication with individuals representing the University will be conducted in a professional manner.
- The University shall honor any donor’s request not to be contacted with concerning any fundraising activities.
- Donors, upon request, are entitled to the following information at no charge: the most recent St. John’s University Annual Report, audited financial statements, and a listing of the Board of Trustees.
- Financial reports will be factual and accurate.
- Solicitations for donations will be truthful and accurately reflect the mission of the University.
- All fundraising activities conducted on behalf of the University by volunteers or staff shall be conducted with fairness and integrity.
- Donors will receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- Information about a donor’s gift will be handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- Donors will be encouraged to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.