Parents and Families
How can you help?
We see parents as potential partners, mentors and even employers.
Where do you see yourself?
For more information on any of the above ways to get involved, please contact University Career Services at 718-990-6375 or [email protected].
Resources for Parents
What’s My Role?
The college years are a time of exposure to new ideas and increased knowledge of potential career options. Parents can play an important role in supporting their student through this process. Here are some tips:
- Choosing a major or career path can be overwhelming and students are anxious to have an opportunity to talk about their thoughts.
- Parents can do this successfully by keeping an open mind. Although it may be difficult, avoid giving advice unless asked.
- Talk about the value of the ‘Early & Often’ in attending Career Services with your student and encourage them to get involved in the first year.
- Keep up to date on the programs and workshops offered by Career Services throughout the year and mention to your student those from which you think he or she might enjoy and benefit.
- Let your student know that you see the value in participating in a variety of activities and courses while at St. John’s University.
- Talk to your student about your own career development path, even if it is different from what they may be considering.
- Connect your student with people you know who can provide career insight and information on internships and full-time jobs.
- Help your student along the different stages of their career path: 4 Year Career & Internship Plan
- Provide positive feedback when your student discusses their career-related activities with you.
- Ask open-ended questions to help your student clarify their ideas and goals. Here are some conversation starters.
- Above all, let your student know that you trust them to use all the resources available to them to make an informed decision.
Connect with Career Services
By clicking here, you can sign up to receive information regarding programs, opportunities, and experiences that are available to students through University Career Services.