COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions for Students

The Office of the Provost and Division of Student Affairs have identified frequently asked questions about remote learning, resources available to students, campus housing, and what to expect as online instruction continues for the rest of the spring semester.

Please note the information listed below supersedes previous guidance from St. John’s around your physical presence on campus, and that all information is subject to change.

How can I protect myself and others?

First, you can protect yourself and others by following University guidance and not returning to campus. Returning home, or staying away from campus, is a responsible method for decreasing density, an important strategy for reducing the spread of COVID-19. In addition, please follow current recommendations, including washing your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; coughing/sneezing into a tissue or your sleeve; avoiding close contact with those who are sick; and staying home when you are sick. Take steps to lower your risk at meetings and events, including holding video or teleconference meetings, modifying in-person interactions, and maintaining a 6-foot distance.

What is “social distancing” and how do I do that?

Social distancing is a way to reduce exposure, slow the spread, and minimize transmission of contagious diseases. Use video and teleconferencing tools like St. John’s Webex instead of holding in-person meetings when possible. Try to maintain a distance of at least   6-feet between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Avoid shaking hands and close physical contact with anyone displaying symptoms of illness.

What should I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

Students who are still living in residence halls should call Student Health Services at 718-990-6360 (select option 4). When Student Health Services is closed please call Public Safety at 718-990-5252. If you are not living on campus, do not come to campus. Seek medical attention by contacting your health care provider. Inform your health care provider of your symptoms and any recent travel or potential exposure before going to the health facility. Please remain where you are and isolate yourself. If this is not possible, then practice social distancing by keeping at least 6-feet from all others.

If you have been instructed to self-isolate, do not come to campus and please notify us via this form. If you are not sure if you need to self-isolate and currently living on campus, please call Student Health Services at 718-990-6360 (select option 4). When Student Health Services is closed, please call Public Safety at 718-990-5252. If you are not living on campus, please contact your health care provider for guidance.

I’m afraid I’ve been exposed or a member of my family has been exposed.  What should I do?

Students who are still living in residence halls should call Student Health Services at 718-990-6360 (select option 4) with any medical concerns regarding COVID-19, including potential cases. If you are not on campus, please contact your health care provider.

I am worried about getting a family member sick or there is someone in my household immunosuppressed, what should I do?

We appreciate your concerns for your family member. However, if you are not experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath) and have not been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 (you would be contacted by the Department of Health), you are safe to return home and follow these recommendations: wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; cough and sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve; avoid close contact with those who are sick; and staying home when you are sick.

You can also practice social distancing. Social distancing is a way to reduce exposure, slow the spread, and minimize transmission of contagious diseases. Try to maintain a distance of at least 6 feet between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. Avoid shaking hands and close physical contact with anyone displaying symptoms of illness.

Academic Continuity

The Office of the Provost oversees the University’s academic programs, assessment, research, and student support services. In collaboration with deans and other senior administrators, the Provost ensures the quality and implementation of the University’s academic mission.Need any extra support coping with a personal or emotional issue? Our staff is here to help.

Will classes continue to meet?

Faculty will teach their courses remotely  for the rest of the semester. Faculty will  continue to adapt to their courses for remote delivery. These adaptations may result in substantive changes to course requirements, assignments, and examinations. If you have any questions about a specific course, please contact the instructor.

What do you mean by “remote delivery”?

We expect that faculty will adapt their courses in a variety of ways. Some faculty might use video-based platforms like WebEx to present lectures, or even to facilitate small discussion groups. Other faculty might provide reading assignments, ask for reflection papers, or other writing assignments. Some faculty might decide to use teleconferencing to facilitate group discussions. Assignments and assessments are also likely to vary by faculty member. We are asking all faculty members to communicate their expectations, and update their syllabi, to reflect the transition to remote delivery.

What about exams?

Faculty will deliver exams and/or other assessments online.

What about my grades this semester, are there any new options?

We understand that many students and faculty are concerned about grading for the current semester. For that reason, the University will be moving toward offering more flexible grading options for Spring 2020, including an expansion of the current policy on Pass/Fail grading. More information will be forthcoming.

What if I am registered for a science lab and the class no longer meets in the lab?

We are working closely with faculty to determine how courses can be meaningfully completed remotely. If there are components of the class that simply cannot be managed remotely, we will be working on alternate arrangements. For questions about specific courses, students should contact the instructor of the course.

How will you handle lab or in-class requirements for classes?

We have asked faculty to creatively determine how they can adapt their courses for remote delivery. In some cases, it may not be possible to make such arrangements. Concerning academic credit, no student will be penalized if the course material cannot be sufficiently delivered remotely. Please contact the instructor for questions about a specific course.

What about the lab requirement in my science course, my performance arts exhibition, or physical education course?

We have asked faculty to creatively determine how they can adapt their courses for remote delivery. In some cases, it may not be possible to make such arrangements. With respect to academic credit, no student will be penalized if course material cannot be sufficiently delivered remotely. Please contact the instructor for questions about a specific course.

How will I access academic support or tutoring if I am not on campus?

Peer tutoring and other academic resources (including coaching and workshops) through the University Learning Commons will be available remotely. To schedule an appointment, please visit University Learning Commons.

Who should I contact if I have questions about a course?

For all questions related to specific courses, please contact the course instructor.

Are there different academic integrity expectations for remotely delivered content?

The academic integrity expectations of in-person learning transfers to remotely delivered content.  Please be sure to follow your faculty members’ expectations regarding reposting online course content or recording course materials.

Is study abroad being canceled?

Many study abroad/away programs have been discontinued due to local health and security concerns, as well as evolving shifts within guidance from the Department of State and the Centers for Disease Control. The Office of International Education will be in touch with students regarding programs that start in May to provide specific guidance.

What about my St. John’s-sponsored summer research, education, training program? Will online sessions of summer classes be offered? 

Decisions have not yet been made about summer programs sponsored by the university. We will be closely watching the spread of COVID-19 over the next several weeks. We will update this guidance as soon as we have determined our ability to offer these programs safely.

Will my course be canceled for the remainder of the semester?

No, St. John’s courses are continuing via remote instruction.

What should I do if I need technical assistance for using WebEx or Blackboard?

Please visit the Information Technology website at for information about technology services provided. If you need support, please submit the IT Remote Support Request Form and a member of the Information Technology support team will contact you to provide technical assistance. IT Technology Support is also available Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. by calling 718-990-5000.

Cisco WebEx is available to host online meeting, class meetups, group work sessions, and even videoconferencing. WebEx Meeting Center is available to students at by registering first with your email account.

What do I do if I need laptop support?

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions concerning the Laptop Support Center during closures as a result of the Covid-19 CoronaVirus Health Crisis

Will the course be taught synchronously or asynchronously?

Both. We’re asking faculty who teach synchronously to also make a recording available. Students will not be penalized if they require an asynchronous experience. 

What about my on-campus independent study?

On-campus experiences like these will be transitioned to a remote format. Please contact your faculty advisor.

Will this situation affect my academic progress?

We are committed to ensuring that students can complete the semester and fulfill their academic requirements. You will be notified by your deans regarding programs that require clinical practicum, student teaching, teaching practicum, and internships.

What should students who do not have access to electronic devices and/or internet beyond St. John’s do for classes? 

We encourage you to find local places that offer appropriate study space, such as your local library or community center. All St. John’s campus spaces are closed. Please note that many libraries loan hotspot devices. For more information, please see the document How do I connect to the Internet? During the transition to online learning, the University can assist students who need help finding Wi-Fi access. For assistance, please contact IT Technology Support at 718-990-5000.

For those without consistent Wi-Fi access, Altice has made their Wi-Fi hotspots free to the public and you can access them via these instructions.

Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll, call 1-844-488-8395.

Comcast is offering two months free to new Internet Essentials customers in response to recent and anticipated emergency measures associated with COVID-19. For more information, visit

How can I conduct an online meeting or video conference?

Cisco WebEx is available to host online meetings, class meetups, group work sessions, and even videoconferencing. WebEx Meeting Center is available to students at by registering first with your email account. 

How will different time zones affect classes? 

We have asked faculty to be flexible in offering courses in synchronous and asynchronous formats. Students will not be penalized if they are in a different time zone and require an asynchronous experience. Please contact the instructor for questions about a specific course.

Spring 2020 Undergraduate Pass/Fail Option Process

This information applies to the Spring 2020 semester only, given the challenging circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic.

In response to the disruption students and faculty have experienced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the University has decided, in consultation with the Academic Deans and Departmental Chairpersons, to implement an expanded pass/fail option for undergraduate students for the Spring 2020 semester only. The pass/fail policy has been expanded in three significant ways:

  • The option to take a course pass/fail, previously extended to April 17, will now be extended until May 6, the day before finals begin. This means students can choose the pass/fail option on qualifying classes beginning immediately. This will be done through the existing process by logging into MySJU and accessing the Pass/Fail Option Request Form in UIS.
  • Ordinarily, students may take only one course as pass/fail each semester, depending on their school and major. For the Spring 2020 semester, students will be able to select more than one course in this format. 
  • Normally there are limited classes eligible for the pass/fail option. For the Spring 2020 semester, additional courses will be made eligible. This will include major and minor courses and core requirements that are not needed to satisfy licensure or accreditation purposes. 

Students who wish to select the pass/fail option for one or several courses should consult with an academic advisor before making this decision, as it could impact scholarships, future goals, and/or your ability to transfer these credits to another institution.

The last day to withdraw from a class remains April 17. Once the pass/fail option has been chosen for a course, you cannot opt-out. It is permanent.

Remember, although the pass/fail option is now available in an expanded format, no decisions have to be made by you today. We advise you to wait a few weeks as you adjust to remote instruction so that you can make an informed decision. If you need help weighing the pros and cons, please reach out to your academic advisor.

When can I begin selecting courses to take with a pass/fail option?
You can begin immediately. Log into MySJU, click on the Spotlight tab on the top left, click on Access UIS, Click Student, Registration, and Pass/Fail Option Request Form. Note: we recommend that you consult with your advisor before making this decision.

Do I have to take all of my classes as pass/fail, or can I choose which classes to take as pass/fail?
It is not all or nothing. You can decide if you want to take one or more classes as pass/fail.

Can core classes be taken as pass/fail?

Can classes for a major or minor be taken as pass/fail?
Yes. However, consult with your advisor before making this decision as in certain cases it could also impact scholarships, your future goals, and/or your ability to transfer credits.

Will taking a major course as pass/fail impact my ability to pursue the honors program within my major?
No, it will not.

If I take a class as pass/fail, how does that impact my grade point average (GPA)?
A class taken as pass/fail does not impact your GPA. The course credits earned from the P/F class, assuming you receive a P grade, will count for the purpose of meeting your degree credit requirements.

Does taking a course as pass/fail impact my ability to graduate with Latin honors, e.g., cum laude, magna cum laude, summa cum laude?
These courses will not factor into your GPA and do not factor into the calculation for Latin honors. Therefore, if you need or want a grade to improve your GPA, it is recommended that you speak with your advisor.

Will taking a pass/fail course impact my merit-based scholarship?
A pass/fail grade will not change your eligibility for a merit-based scholarship. Courses taken as pass/fail will not factor into the term or overall cumulative GPA. However, you are strongly encouraged to contact your academic advisor to discuss whether a letter grade or a pass/fail option is most advantageous for you, particularly if you need to improve your GPA and maintain your scholarship for the next semester.

How will this show up on my transcript?
You will see either a P for pass or an X for fail. Neither grade affects your GPA. 

How will this affect my DegreeWorks report?
At the moment your DegreeWorks report will use the existing rules. We will adjust your reports at a later date.

How will this affect the repeat course policy?
Academic Repeat Course rules will be waived with respect to taking a course pass/fail if you previously received a letter grade.

If I am in a combined degree or pathway/fast track program, may I take my graduate classes pass/fail?
Ordinarily graduate classes may not be taken pass/fail. However, please consult with an advisor in your Dean’s office for individual program considerations.

Once I choose to take a course pass/fail, can I change my mind and receive a letter grade instead?
No, this is not possible. Once you choose to take a course pass/fail, the decision is permanent. It is recommended that you carefully consider this before making a decision. There is no rush.

I want to go to graduate/law/medical school. Will taking a pass/fail in a major class affect this decision?
If your future plans involve graduate, law, or medical school, you must speak with your advisor before making this decision.

I am a student in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and currently a pass/fail course is not an option. Does this expanded policy apply to me?
You may be eligible. Please contact your program director before making a decision.

Will taking a pass/fail course impact my federal aid?
All pass/fail courses will be counted as attempted hours for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) purposes. Please visit to review the University's SAP Policy for Federal aid. It is important to note that for federal aid purposes, the impact of COVID-19 on academics is permitted as a basis for an appeal

Student Health and Wellness

 Need any extra support coping with a personal or emotional issue? The Student Health and Wellness has services to help you.

Will my St. John’s Student Health Plan work with providers outside the St. John’s network?

Students who are enrolled in the St. John’s Student Health Insurance Plan are covered for routine medical care within the United States. Outside of the United States, students only have emergency and urgent care services.  For details about your plan coverage please visit

Members who feel like they may have been exposed to COVID-19 are being advised to immediately call their provider. To find a network provider, please visit or use the UHCSR mobile app. Additionally, Optum is opening its Emotional-Support Help Line to provide access to specially trained mental health specialists to support people who may be experiencing anxiety or stress following the recent developments around COVID-19. Optum’s toll-free help line number is 866-342-6892 and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The service is free of charge to members.

Can I still make a counseling appointment at the Center for Counseling and Consultation?

Although face to face counseling sessions have been suspended, the CCC remains a source of support for our students. Students interested in scheduling a telehealth appointment please complete Informed Consent Form for CCC Clients. Once we receive your request a counselor will reach out via phone or email to discuss next steps.

Can I call the Center for Counseling and Consultation after hours?

Yes, you can call our After-Hours Mental Health Helpline number at 718-990-6352.

Can I speak with the Center for Counseling and Consultation psychiatrist? What if I need medication and I have not seen the psychiatrist before?

If you previous met with the CCC psychiatrist, the psychiatrist is available through telehealth appointments for medication management. Students who have not met with the psychiatrist within the past six months will be given referrals to psychiatrists in the community.

What can I do if I have a mental health emergency?

If you are feeling distressed and cannot keep yourself safe, please call 911. When the Center for Counseling and Consultation is closed you may call St. John’s After-Hours Mental Helpline at 718-990-6352 and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for support.

Can I still schedule exams with accommodations at the Office of Disability Services?

No, Disability Services is not able to administer exams on site, and instructors likely are using other methods of assessment such as Blackboard. If a student is eligible for extended time on exams, Blackboard can be adjusted to account for the appropriate amount of accommodated time. Please be sure to notify your professors in advance so this accommodation can be met.

Can I make an appointment to meet with a Disability Services staff member?

While there are no on-campus appointments or meetings, Disability Services staff are available for consultation and virtual appointments. Please contact the office at [email protected] to schedule an appointment.

May I still access support in response to sexual violence, including sexual assault, dating/domestic violence and/or stalking?

Yes, students who have experienced or are currently experiencing sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, and/or stalking may contact the Campus Support Advisor for confidential support over the phone by leaving a voicemail at 718-990-8484.

In addition, for assistance finding local support or immediate support in crisis please call the RAINN Hotline, (800) 656-HOPE (4673) or visit to chat.

On-Campus Housing

The Office of Residence Life at St. John’s University aims to strengthen the learning community for all students by providing opportunities for intellectual, spiritual, and personal development that complement those offered in the classroom.

Do I have to leave campus?

All students living in University managed properties must vacate; this includes students that previously received approval to remain on campus for the interim period.

Can I come back to campus to retrieve my belongings from my room or other campus locations?

We are unable to permit students to return to campus to retrieve their belongings until further notice. Please do not call and make a request for exceptions. This is being done to follow social distancing practice for your health and the health of our community. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Resident students will be notified of the date they are allowed to come back to the residence halls to retrieve their belongings.  

Will I still have StormCard access to my residence hall?

Effective immediately, all student cards will be shut down except for those approved to remain on campus. Students that were given prior written authorization to remain on campus will need to check out in the coming days and access will shut down effective immediately after check out is complete. Access to all residence halls will be restricted for anyone not pre-approved to remain on campus. This information is subject to change.

What will happen to my belongings? Is there a place on campus to store my belongings?

For now, all students may leave their items in their assigned residence hall room. Both the buildings and the rooms will be secured.

Can I stay in my assigned room if I get approved to stay on campus?

If you are approved to stay on campus, you will stay in your assigned room for the coming day until the check-out period ends, and you will be asked to practice social distancing. Decisions around your assignment are subject to change. Although you may remain on campus, your academic work will be remote. There will be no on-campus activities and interactions will be significantly curtailed.

Will dining facilities remain open?

The Law School Cafeteria  will be available to students approved to stay in University managed properties. Montgoris Dining Hall has been closed due to the limited number of people on campus.

Financial Aid

A staff of trained financial aid professionals are available at each campus to best serve the needs of students at the campus they attend. The Office of Student Financial Services as well as other departments utilizes the University Call Center to provide information to students concerning their financial accounts.

Who should I contact if I have a financial problem?

Student Financial Services is here to answer your questions. The Queens and Staten Island offices are open Monday through Thursday 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., and Friday 8:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. Please contact the office at 718-990-2000 or [email protected].

Can I get a refund for room for the time I am not on campus?

The University will be issuing refunds for the room cost for the amount of time the University was in a fully online platform. Students will receive a communication regarding housing fee adjustments. We appreciate your patience as we work to successfully transition our community to an on-line learning environment and manage student concerns related to this unprecedented public health situation.

Student Employment

The mission of student employment is to provide the means for students to help defray college expenses, expand the educational experience, and help prepare for “life after college.”

I am a student worker/graduate assistant, should I still come to work on campus?

No, all student workers, both regular and federal work study should not report to work on any St. John’s campus. If you obtain departmental approval to work remotely you may do so. Graduate assistants should not come to any St. John‘s campus and should work remotely.

If I work at a community partner site, can I continue working?

You will be notified by your St. John's supervisor regarding any necessary changes to your program and partner site participation. GearUp, Liberty Partnerships Program, and Upward Bound student personnel are all working remotely.

If I am a regular student worker, will I get paid if I cannot report to work or work remotely?

For regular student workers, you will only be paid for hours worked.

If I am a graduate student, will I still continue to receive my stipend and tuition remission?

Yes, graduate assistants will be paid and continue to receive their stipend/tuition.

If I am a Federal Work Study student worker, will I get paid if I cannot report to work or work remotely?

Actively working students in a federal work study position who are scheduled to work any time after March 10, 2020, will continue to get paid. The provision allowing the University to make payments will remain in effect until the University opens or until the end of the semester on May 13, 2020. Hours may not exceed 20 per week, and students cannot exceed their grant award. Students who have exceeded their grant must stop working and/or entering hours for scheduled work.

Can I use my accrued sick time?

If you are a regular student worker (who accrues sick time) and are sick, you will be able to use the sick time you have earned.

How can I set up direct deposit?

You can contact the payroll office at 718-990-1471 for the direct deposit form.

Whom can I contact if I am having trouble buying food during this period away from campus?

Please contact Lucy Pesce regarding your needs by completing the Basic Needs Form.

International Student Services

The International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) is the first resource to contact whenever you need assistance or information during your stay in the United States and at St. John’s University. We are here to help; think of us as your “home away from home.”

University Housing is closing and it’s time to return home to continue my studies on-line. Are there any issues specific to international students to keep in mind? And if I don’t live in the dorms, is it okay for me to leave the United States?

In keeping with a March 15 communication from the International Student and Scholar Services Office, you are now permitted to return home without concern for continuation in your degree program. Now that on-campus housing will no longer be available, we expect you to take classes from home for the remainder of the semester. The Student and Visitor Exchange Program (SEVP) has confirmed that international students may take full-time courses online either from within the U.S. or from abroad. In order to keep your SEVIS record active, you will need to continue this semester's courses on-line.

Do I need a travel signature to return home?

In previous communication, you were instructed to obtain a travel signature on your I-20 before departing the country. However, given the rapidly changing situation, we have modified this advice in order to expedite your ability to depart. You do not need to make an appointment to get a signature before departing. Travel signatures are not required to depart the country; they are needed to re-enter the U.S. So, after you depart the country, please enter the required information here by clicking “Request a Travel Signature.” Please follow all directions on the page, including emailing ISSSO with the requested information. Your new I-20 will be mailed to you at home.

Are there any visa-related risks to returning home? 

You may be subject to international/domestic travel restrictions since flight cancellations, quarantines, and national border closures can be implemented on very short notice. As a result, if you travel outside of the United States, you may not be able to re-enter for an extended period of time. In addition, if you are scheduled to graduate in May and thinking about post-completion OPT, please note you cannot currently apply for OPT from outside the U.S. (see below). Unfortunately, we do not have guidance from the government about whether OPT application requirements may shift, or on how we may need to modify all student records if courses resume in person and you are unable to return. The St. John’s team—and the national organizations that advocate on our collective behalf—are actively seeking clarification on these points. 

I read that the U.S. government has become more flexible in its rules for F and J visa holders. What does that mean?

In addition to the temporary shift detailed above, in the past, student visa holders could only take a limited number of online classes each semester. However, in light of COVID-19, the government has provided universities with the flexibility needed to shift teaching modes to ensure student safety. As a short-term accommodation, all international students are currently permitted to take all of their classes online.

Will you let us know if there are additional changes to the government’s guidance?  

Absolutely. We will be in touch by email with any updates if and when they arise.

I need to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Can I do this remotely from outside of the United States?

Unfortunately, no. You must be physically present in the U.S. at the time you submit your OPT application. ISSSO will continue to process OPT applications in the order they are received. If you have not applied for OPT but plan to do so, we strongly encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.  Once your application is submitted please email [email protected] and we will ensure you receive the proper documents to properly file your application.

My visa is expiring, and I am unable to travel to my home country due to travel restrictions.  What should I do?

You may stay in the U.S. with an expired F-1 or J-1 visa as long as you maintain your immigration status by being in possession of a valid I-20 or DS-2019 and by making normal progress towards completing your degree.

My visa is expiring/has expired. If I leave the United States, will I need a new visa to return or can I re-enter on an expired visa?

If you leave the U.S. and your visa expires while you are abroad, you will need to obtain a new visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter the United States. Note that Canadian citizens do not need a visa to enter the United States.

If you will be traveling to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands, you will not need to renew your visa as long as your trip is less than 30 days.

What should I do if I have questions about my student visa? 

We encourage you to contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office at [email protected] for more information or schedule an appointment for individual advising. Note that your appointment may take place online, rather than in person.

Is there anything else we should know?  

Yes. We know that this situation is especially difficult for you. As we communicated to you separately, we know that you are often thinking through the COVID-19 concern in at least two countries, the United States and your home country. And we know that that’s especially stressful. We encourage you to take advantage of the full range of support available to you, including the International Student & Scholar Support Services Office, the Office of Multicultural Affairs, and the Division of Student Affairs.

Student Services

The mission of the Division of Student Affairs is to promote student success through collaborative partnerships that support the educational mission of St. John's University. Please check this section for information on campus activities, University events, and all other student services.

I have a meeting or event scheduled on campus, should I still go?

All meetings can be conducted via phone or videoconferencing. Students should contact the person who arranged the meeting to coordinate a phone call or video conference.

Is the shuttle bus service still operating for any campus?

There will be no shuttle bus service after Friday, March 20, 2020, due to the suspension on in-person classes and closure of residence halls.

Is Commencement canceled?

After very careful consideration, we regret to inform you that we will not be able to hold the spring semester 2020 Commencement Exercises and related events for graduate and undergraduate students as originally scheduled. We know how important this milestone is, and we will explore possible options to have a suitable event to honor and recognize the hard work and successes of our graduating students at a later date.

For more information, please visit 2020 Commencement Frequently Asked Questions.

Should I cancel my travel arrangements?

Yes, please work directly with the company with which you booked your travel and accommodations to find out their policies regarding refunds or rescheduling. For more info, visit 2020 Commencement Frequently Asked Questions.

How will I get information regarding the updates to Commencement plans?

Updates will be communicated via St. John’s email and the Commencement website as soon as new details are finalized. Please be sure to check regularly for details and updated information. For more info, visit 2020 Commencement Frequently Asked Questions.

I had a conduct violation, and now I have to meet with someone to complete a sanction. What should I do?

Do not come to campus. Contact Jack Flynn at [email protected] for assistance in determining a process for completing your sanction.

My organization had an event scheduled on campus before the end of the semester; whom do I contact for help with my canceled event?

For assistance with on-campus programming and student organization events, please contact: Queens campus, Ebony J. Calvin at 718-990-1357 or [email protected]; Staten Island campus, Auraine Scott at 718-390-4443 or [email protected].

Can Fraternity and Sorority Life organizations continue with their new member education programs?

No, all student activities, including Fraternity and Sorority Life activities, have been suspended.

I am expecting packages/mail in the mail room. Can I come to get them?

Due to the recent NYS Executive Order, the St. John’s University mail room is closed until further notice. If you have any questions or have an urgent package, please go to for information on how to contact the IT Service Desk.

Can I still visit University Career Services?

The Career Services team is available as a resource at Students will be able to access resources and schedule appointments to meet with their advisors on-line.

Can I still meet with my career advisor?

Your career advisor will happily schedule virtual appointments via WebEx and email. To schedule an appointment log into MySJU and going to the Career Services tab. Click Schedule an Appointment or call us at: Queens campus 718-990-6375 or Staten Island campus 718-390-4438.

I have an academic internship but the company is going remote, so will this affect my internship credits and grade?

Please contact your faculty advisor immediately if the expectations or responsibilities of the internship have changed significantly or if your organization has requested that you work remotely due to COVID-19 related concerns.

I am a mentor/mentee with the RISE Network, who can I contact?

The RISE Network will be available to students through our staff emails [email protected] and [email protected]. Students can follow RISE on Instagram for updates and resources to assist them academically and professionally.

What about services for veteran students?

Veteran Success Center will provide updates to students through the staff email at [email protected].

What about the Staten Island Student Success Center?

The Student Success Center will provide service updates to students via email and social media handles. Be sure to look out for emails from [email protected] and to follow St. John’s Now Staten Island for campus news.