More Information


As tax season quickly approaches, St. John’s University is prepared to do our share in making the filing process easier. For the past few years, students or parents were able to claim tax credits against their federal income taxes for expenses they paid for post secondary education for themselves and their dependent children. The 2017 1098-T form is to aid you in the purpose of filing for certain educational tax credits.

The University cannot determine whether you are eligible to claim this tax credit. Please consult your tax advisor or IRS Publication 970 from the IRS website at  to determine the amount of tax credit, if any, that you may be eligible to claim.


To view and print your current and/or prior year's 1098-T forms with a detail of the amounts billed (Box #2) and detail of scholarships and grants (Box #5)

  • Log into your UIS account
  • Click on "Student"
  • Click on "Student Account"
  • Click on "Tax Notification"
  • Enter the year you wish to view

All students should save their tuition and financial aid records for tax purposes. These include cancelled checks, class schedules, and student account summaries.

Please ensure your mailing address is your permanent address and that it is correct. Please log onto UIS and click on "Personal Information" to view and edit your address online.

W-9S Form

In order to properly prepare and submit the 1098-T to both the student and the IRS, your correct SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is required. To add or correct the current SSN or ITIN on file, please download and complete the Form W-9S and return to the Office of Student Financial Services in person with proof of your SSN or ITIN.

Download the W-9S Form

Educational Tax Benefits

To promote access to and the affordability of college education, the IRS created a Web site highlighting various tax credits, deductions and savings plans designed to help parents and students pay for college. Please review this beneficial tax information. Other information concerning educational tax credits can be found on the IRS website, including IRS Publication 970.

If you have questions concerning information provided on the 1098-T form, please contact Margaret "Peggy" Pugh at 718-990-2406, or e-mail your questions to [email protected].