More Information

Certification Information

Becoming certified to teach in New York State is an important step leading to a rewarding and challenging career—subject to many state and federal regulations. It is your responsibility to keep informed of the most current requirements, laws, and regulations that affect your teaching career and your future. Our Certification Officers, in conjunction with this website, will make every attempt to assist. However, you must check the NYSED website frequently for updates. If you are seeking specific information about what requirements you must meet for all certification areas, go to this page on the New York State Education Department (NYSED)/Office of Teaching Initiatives website to obtain information.

It is strongly recommended to apply for certification as soon as possible upon completing your program due to possible changes in state regulations.


New Endorsement Pathway

Employment of Certified Individuals with Expired Certificates

Safety Nets for Educating All Students test (EAS), certain redeveloped Content Specialty Tests (CSTs), and edTPA safety nets | Updated 11/07/2016


You are strongly encouraged to contact the appropriate Certification Officer in The School of Education at St. John's University to assist you with questions concerning certification for your specific area:

QueensStaten Island
(including Hauppauge, School Psychology, TSSLD and Library)

Rosette Alegretti, Ed.D.
[email protected]
Sullivan Hall, Room 525
Phone: 718-990-2506
Fax: 718-990-2549
Mrs. Fay Dimino
[email protected]
DaSilva Hall, Room 207
Phone: 718-390-4506
Fax: 718-390-4273



Initial Certification

It is the first step toward Professional Certification, which is needed to maintain a teaching license in New York State.
More »
Transitional B Certification

Transitional B Certification applies to anyone who is enrolled in either a New York City Teaching Fellow or Collaborative Partner Teacher program at St. John's.
More »
Applying for Certification

To apply for certification.
More »

Additional Certification and Licensure Areas

Information for School Counseling, School Psychology, Library Science, and Speech Language Pathology (TSSLD) Certification.
More »

Professional Certification

After you have received your initial teaching certificate, you are expected to progress to the professional teaching certificate within five years.
More »
Additional Information and Resources

For additional information and resources.
More »