More Information

Graduate Online Learning FAQs

What is an online learning program?

The graduate program at The School of Education at St. John’s University offers graduate online degree programs as well as individual online courses. Whether you are a traditional collegeage student, a working professional, or a returning adult student, our web-based courses offer flexibility combined with a special interactive educational experience.

As an online student, you are no longer required to travel to campus to participate in a course or restricted by scheduling conflicts. Courseware tools such as Blackboard turn your home or office computer into a virtual classroom where you study texts and online resources, complete assignments and exams, and actively engage with the instructor and fellow students in threaded discussions and chats. All of this at times that are convenient for your demanding schedule.

We also offer hybrid (online and campus) programs. Please note that we are not an “online” university. If you plan on attending a hybrid learning program, you MUST submit immunization records.

What degree programs do you offer?

We offer Master of Science degrees in School Building Leader, Teaching Children with Disabilities in Childhood Education 1–6, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre-K–12.

We offer Advanced Certificates in Bilingual Education, Gifted Education, School Building Leader, School Building Leader/School District Leader, School District Leader, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12.

We offer Intensive Teacher Institute (ITI) Online Programs Advanced Certificates in Bilingual Education, Bilingual Special Education, Bilingual Pupil Personnel Services, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) K–12/Special Education.

We also offer individual courses online. Please check with the individual departments.

Is online learning for me?

Successful completion of online courses requires participating students to be independent and collaborative learners who are disciplined and able to dedicate sufficent time to their course work. Online courses typically follow the semester calendar, with assignments and assessments posted on a regular basis. Prospective online students should consider whether the format and time demands of an online course are conducive to their lifestyles before registering for a course.

What kind of technical abilities will I need?

In addition to meeting academic prerequisites for the courses, all prospective online students must meet rudimentary computer proficiency requirements such as logging on, cutting and pasting text using word-processing software, and attaching documents as e-mail attachments.

How does an online course differ from a face-to-face course?

Web-based software creates a virtual classroom where the learning experience takes place. St. John’s University uses Blackboard. This software uses icons to direct you to the featured pages within the virtual classroom. Clicking on these icons helps you to navigate within the courseware tool to participate in the course. For example, professors post course syllabi, assignments, readings, and assessments that are accessible by all students within the course. Students may communicate via an internal e-mail system with the professor and with other participants.

In an online course, the student is a more independent but collaborative learner (learns by sharing ideas with fellow students and the instructor). The student reads text supplemented by online resources such as slide presentations, videos, and links to websites and learning materials, then actively engages in detailed discussions online with classmates. These discussions take place on a conference board within the virtual classroom. Each student is required to be an active participant by submitting a certain number of responses over a period of days. This is called a threaded discussion. The instructor monitors the discussions and gives feedback to the group. You can enter your response messages at any time during an assigned period of two days to a week; hence, there is more time to reflect on your comments. However, online courses require more work and preparation from both the learner and the teacher. In order to be considered “in attendance,” an online student must post a response and keep up with the discussion. This means logging on almost every day to participate in the online discussions and group projects. Professors may also require more detailed assignments (e.g., research papers) and assessments (tests or graded projects), which are posted as responses or file attachments.

As an online learning student, am I ever required to campus?

If you are pursuing the Special Education program, you may come to campus at the end of the program to sit for the comprehensive exam if you reside within the tristate area. Students who reside beyond the tristate area are presented with the comprehensive exam online (requires webcam access).

What are the computer requirements?

Internet service with any local service provider (telephone-based or cable service where available).

  • Pentium class or higher PC/Mac with a minimum of 1.7 Ghz
  • Minimum of 1GB RAM
  • Cable/DSL or better connection
  • Microsoft Word
  • Acrobat Reader (latest version)
  • The faculty member teaching the course usually sets software requirements. Please check with your instructor following registration.
  • Web browser requirements: Most of our online courses are conducted using Blackboard courseware tools. Access to Blackboard is also available on mobile devices and tablets.
  • For all browsers, JavaScript must be enabled for Blackboard to work.
  • Webcam

How many credits must I take for each program?

Master’s Level Programs:

  • School Building Leader (M.S.Ed.) 34
  • Teaching Children with Disabilities in Childhood Education 1–6 (M.S.Ed.) 33
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre K–12 (M.S.Ed.) 33

Advanced Certificate Programs:

  • Bilingual Education (Adv. Crt.) 15
  • Gifted Education (Adv. Crt.) 12
  • School Building Leader (Adv. Crt.) 22
  • School Building Leader/School District Leader (Adv. Crt.) 35
  • School District Leader (Adv. Crt.) 31
  • Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Pre K–12 (Adv. Crt.) 15

ITI Programs:

  • ITI: Bilingual Education (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: Bilingual Special Education (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: Bilingual Pupil Personnel Services (Adv. Crt) 15
  • ITI: TESOL (Adv. Crt). 15
  • ITI: TESOL with Special Education (Adv. Crt.) 15

How long is the program?

You may attend full time or part time, so the length of the program is really up to you. Continuous enrollment and completion of all requirements must be done within a five-year period.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Financial aid is available to those who qualify. Please contact the Department of Financial Aid for more information. They may be reached at [email protected] or 718-990-2000.

What are my payment options?

You may pay via check, credit card, or financial aid.

What differentiates St. John’s Online Learning program from others?

The three master’s programs are accredited by TEAC, and US News & World Report ranked our program in the top 50 in the nation for online learning. All our online professors have to have taken a course in online teaching.

What resources are available to me as a distance-learning student?

A range of University services are available online: access to library databases, career guidance, registration, and financial aid.

What are the requirements for admission?

For admission consideration for a master’s degree, we look for the following:

  • Completed application
  • Bachelor’s degree
  • Application fee of $70
  • Personal statement
  • Official transcripts from EVERY institution attended showing conferral of degree
  • Satisfactory grade point average (B or better)

For admission consideration for an advanced certificate, we look for the same requirements, except a master’s degree is needed instead of a bachelor’s degree.

How do I apply?

All applications are sent online:

How do I register?

Once you are accepted as a student, you will be assigned an advisor. Please contact him or her to go over course offerings. You then register via the web.

What if I need to take a semester off?

Students enrolled in degree programs are required to be continuously enrolled for matriculation until the degree is awarded. Those who are not enrolled in course work must maintain their active status each semester by enrolling in Maintaining Matriculation at the scheduled registration periods. Students who have not satisfied the continuous enrollment requirement for two or more semesters must apply for readmission.

Important Contacts

Online Learning

Financial Aid
[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]