More Information

Graduate International Student FAQs

What are the application deadlines?

The deadlines for COMPLETED applications are as follows:

  • Spring- January 5
  • Summer- May 15 (We do not accept summer or spring applications for counseling majors.)
  • Fall- August 17

What is the difference between the certification and noncertification track?

There are two tracks for our program:

NONCERTIFICATION TRACK: If you do not wish to obtain New York State Education Certification, no additional courses will be necessary to complete the degree or advanced certificate program.

NEW YORK STATE CERTIFICATION TRACK: If you wish to obtain New York State Education Department (NYSED) certification, you may need to complete additional education and subject foundation courses (or demonstrate competency in those course subjects) before you are awarded the master’s degree. Those prerequisites will be listed separately in your admission letter, if you are accepted. Please be aware that you will be solely responsible for determining and satisfing any legal requirements to become eligible to apply for NYSED certification. St. John’s cannot guarantee your eligibility. You must indicate on your application which track you intend to pursue.

Can I get New York State certification to teach?

In order to get NYS certification, you must have a Social Security number, meet New York State certification requirements, including possible deficiencies, and get fingerprinted. Students with international credentials who wish to teach in New York State will need to satisfy the state requirements for certification. It is your responsibility to apply for New York State teaching certification and meet the criteria. For more information, visit

Where do I go to find out about the ESL test?

We require you to submit an IELTS or TOEFL score. Depending on your score, if you are accepted, you may have to contact our ESL office for further evaluation regarding English as a second language. Based on your ESL evaluation, you may be required to take an ESL placement exam and ESL courses.

What if I am not accepted due to my English language proficiency?

You may continue to improve your ESL skills at home and resubmit satisfactory TOEFL/IELTS/ELS test scores to be reconsidered for admission for up to one year.

You have the option of attending The Language Connection at St. John’s University for up to a year. This will require an additional cost. Please resubmit satisfactory TOEFL/IELTS/ESL test scores to admissions.

How to Get Your I-20 Form

What is an I-20 and why do you need one?

An I-20 Form is the government form that St. John’s University uses to certify to the US government that you are eligible for F-1 Student Status.

How do I get the I-20 application form?

You need to request your I-20 Application Form. You may contact our Office of International Student and Scholar Services, or you may download the I-20 Form.

When do I start the I-20 application process?

You can apply at the same time you apply for admission. Note that an I-20 will not be issued until you are officially accepted into the program.

What are the rules for obtaining an I-20?

  • You must be accepted to a full-time program of study at St. John’s University.
  • You must prove to us that you can meet the costs of living and studying in the United States for the entire duration of your program of study. This is required by US law.
  • Do not expect that you will be able to work in this country to help meet your annual costs. On-campus employment is limited and competitive, and off-campus employment is strictly controlled by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.


  • Form I-20 does not automatically come with your admission—you need to apply for it.
  • A bank statement is not enough; you need to submit the whole application.
  • Do not confuse proof of income with bank statements.
  • Read the I-20 application instructions carefully.

Why do I have a hold on my account from the Office of International Student and Scholar?

As a new international student at St. John’s University, you are officially required to check in with our office. You will need to bring Form I-20 (F-1) or Form DS- 2019 (J-1) and your passport, which includes your visa and port-of-entry stamp.

  • The Office of International Student and Scholar Services is located in St. John Hall, room 116; tel 718-990-6083; fax 718-990-2070; e-mail [email protected]

Where do I go to submit my health (immunization) forms?

Go to the Health Center on the first floor of DaSilva Hall. Call 718-990-6360; fax 718-990-2388. E-mail Pauline Tummino at [email protected].

How do I find out about housing possibilities?

You may register to view available non-university housing options at

Where do I go to find out where I will live on campus?

Contact the Office of Residence Life in Donovan Hall, C-16; call 718-990-2417 or 718-990-5512; fax 718-990-2545. Email [email protected].

Where do I go to pay my tuition bill for the semester?

Contact the Office of Student Financial Services on the ground floor of Bent Hall. Call 718-990-2000; e-mail [email protected].

How do I change my address online?

Log in to your UIS (University Information System) account to update your address. You are also required to submit changes of address to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services within 10 days of moving.

If you have problems logging into your UIS account, contact the Office of Information Technology at 718-990-5000.

Contact Information

Office of Graduate Admission
The School of Education
Sullivan Hall, Room G9
[email protected]

Office of International Admission
Newman Hall, Room 106
[email protected]