Taxation, Master in Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration degree with a specialization in Taxation (M.B.A. – Taxation) provides the student with a broad business knowledge and prepares him or her for cross-functional decision-making. The M.B.A. curriculum gives the student a deeper understanding of management problems and the business firm’s position in the economic structure of society. Offered on campus and online, the goal of the taxation specialization is to provide the student with an opportunity to focus in the technical area of taxation so that he or she will be able to enter and advance in the profession of public accounting as a tax specialist or in corporate management in the tax area. Accounting and business decisions must be evaluated in terms of possible tax implications and consequences. The M.B.A. – Taxation program will not qualify a student to sit for the CPA examination in the State of New York.
Please see a list of our Accounting and Taxation faculty.
For additional information on the Master of Business Administration, please contact the faculty program director:
K. Matthew Wong, Professor
Department of Economics and Finance
All applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or the international equivalent prior to enrollment at the graduate level. In addition to the application form and non-refundable application fee candidates should submit the following:
- Statement of professional goals and resume which can be uploaded as part of the application for admission
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate, graduate and professional schools attended. International Applicants to programs in Accounting and Taxation must have a Graduate Admissions evaluation completed by AEQUO.
- Official GMAT or GRE scores, taken within the last five years
- Two letters of recommendation, obtained from professional or academic references
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English
For additional information, please contact:
The Peter J. Tobin College of Business
Office of Graduate Admission
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
The program will prepare graduates to:
Demonstrate the ability to apply the competencies of the discipline
- Identify and measure measuring the tax consequences of actions taken by individuals, partnerships and corporations
- Analyze and summarize tax data for decision making
- Communicate and report tax findings
- Research technical tax issues
- Utilize and leverage technology in tax research and preparation.
- Recognize appropriate professional behavior
Apply business knowledge and skills effectively in a variety of settings
- Link data, knowledge, and insight from various disciplines to provide information to solve problems and make decisions, demonstrating insight, good judgment, innovation and creativity
- Demonstrate effective written and oral (including listening) communications skills, and presentation skills targeting internal audiences (e.g. top management, functional managers, and direct report employees)
Demonstrate the ability to make strategic, integrative decisions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts/principles of core business disciplines and an ability to integrate and apply knowledge that runs across a variety of core business disciplines
- Formulate managerial and strategic business decisions for a rapidly globalizing business environment
- Demonstrate development of personal and team-level decision skills, i.e., to secure team participation and “buy-in” for a range of business issues, policies, and strategic decision making activities
Demonstrate an understanding of professional responsibility, ethical obligations, and social awareness
- Identify the nature, range and scope of ethical considerations and legal ramifications of a business decision and propose a course of action for individuals and firms
- Describe and give examples of the strategic and managerial challenges of not-for-profit community based organizations, and other charitable service organizations
Demonstrate competency in the global aspects of business
- Identify local, national and global current events and understand their impact on society and business
Earn Your Degree Online
Pursue your St. John’s M.B.A. degree entirely on your computer. Our fully accredited Online Learning programs uphold the same high- quality academic standards that students experience on campus while allowing the convenience of taking courses electronically. Professors deliver lectures and post assignments via Blackboard, our electronic course management system. Students use it to attend virtual classes, share documents, take exams, and exchange ideas with faculty and classmates.
A Full Academic Experience
You also enjoy the outstanding resources available to all St. John’s students, including:
- Eligibility for scholarships and financial aid
- Tuition and fees identical to those for on-campus courses
- Access to library collections, career services, mentoring, and other academic resources
Click here for more information about the Online M.B.A. in Taxation at St. John's.