Guard outside the Vatican in Rome

About Our Rome Campus

Global Students

The Rome Campus of St. John's University recruits a diverse, international student body. Studying abroad in Rome allows students to prepare themselves for the global arena; learn about international business and political issues; participate in internships at UN agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and embassies; thrive in a comfortable and supportive academic environment; enjoy new experiences; and cultivate life-long friendships with other students from all over the world.

Global Opportunities

To prepare students for success in the global marketplace, St. John's offers a truly international academic experience. Our students are also encouraged to study on our campuses in New York. All course offerings on the New York campuses are open to graduate students enrolled in Rome. In addition, U.S. financial aid and scholarship funds apply in Rome just as they do at our New York campuses.

As a metropolitan university, St. John's is an integral part of New York City with easy access to the commercial and cultural resources of Manhattan. For students seeking a global perspective, living and studying in NYC is a major educational advantage.

Teamwork and Leadership

Successful businesses and organizations employ teams of individuals to seek solutions to problems. St. John's graduates achieve success because they learn to work in a team-oriented environment where students from different professional backgrounds collaborate with the faculty to understand and solve business-related problems.

Student Visa and Permit Information

Students who are admitted to the St. John's Rome Graduate Programs receive letters of acceptance from the Queens campus. Upon registering for courses with an advisor in Rome, students receive letters of acceptance from the Rome Campus. Both acceptance letters must be submitted with the student visa application, which students must apply for by contacting their local Italian Embassy or Consulate.

Any student entering Italy with acceptance letters from St. John's must attend the semester to which admission is granted. Failure to do so will cause reporting to the local Italian immigration office.

Once in Italy, students are required to submit a Permit of Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno) application within eight working days from the start date of the student visa. Students who obtain a student visa but do not follow through with the permit processing, once in Rome, could face problems when asked to produce their passports for identification purposes, when entering or leaving Italy, and when applying for internships within Italy. Students will receive further instruction during the orientation program.

Italian nationals and European Union citizens do not need a visa or Permit of Stay. Students may work for 20 hours per week with their Italian student visa.

Graduate Faculty

Students have the unique opportunity to learn and interact with the University's professors on an individual basis. The faculty have a distinguished record of achievement in research, publication and teaching that helps keep the University on the cutting edge of pedagogical issues. Below are a few of the faculty who usually teach at the Rome campus.

Fred Cocozzelli, Associate Professor
B.A., Catholic University of America; M.I.A. Columbia University School of International & Public Affairs; Ph.D., New School University. Peacekeeping and post-conflict reconstruction; Balkans Social Policy; Ethnic Relations and Conflict; Citizenship.
Frank Paul LeVeness, Professor
B.S., M.A., Ph.D., St. John’s University. Latin American and Caribbean Politics and Integration; Comparative Systems; Minority Politics; Methodology; Development Politics; Political Economy.
William Gangi, Professor
B.A., M.A., St. John’s University; Ph.D., University of Notre Dame. Personnel Management Administration; Public Constitutional Law; Mass Movement Politics.
William R. Nester, Professor
B.A., Miami University, Miami, Ohio; M.A., Ph.D., University of California at Santa Barbara. International Relations; Foreign Policy.
David Kearn, Associate Professor
B.A., Amherst College; M.M.P. Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government; Ph.D., University of Virginia. International Relations Theory, Security Studies, Military Innovation, Arms Control, U.S. Foreign Policy.
Luba Racanska, Associate Professor
B.A., Yale University; M.A., Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Russian Politics; East and West European Politics and Non-Governmental Institutions: European Union, Ethics in Public Administration.
Azzedine Layachi, Professor
B.A., Algiers University; M.A., Ph.D., New York University. Middle East Studies; International Law; Nationalism.
Uma Tripathi, Associate Professor
B.A., M.A., University of Bombay; Ph.D., University of Notre Dame. International Law; South Asian Politics; Global Environmental Politics.

Graduate Studies

What documents will I need to obtain an Italian student visa?
Once you are admitted to the graduate program, you will receive a letter of acceptance from the Queens, New York campus. Once you register for courses with your Assistant Dean in Rome, you will be sent a group of acceptance letters from the Rome Campus. These letters, together with the acceptance letter from New York, are needed for your student visa application. After receiving your letters, contact your local Italian Embassy or Consulate.

Please note that you must attend the semester to which you have been granted admission. Failure to do so will be reported to the local immigration office.

How long will it take for the Italian consulate to issue my visa?
The time will vary depending on your local Italian consulate. We suggest that you allow between two to four weeks for the processing of your student visa. You should make the appointment with your consulate well in advance, since some have a waiting period of a few months.

What is a Permesso di Soggiorno (Permit of Stay) and how do I apply for one?
A permit to stay in Italy is granted to foreign nationals who enter Italian territory legally (with a passport or equivalent identity document stamped with an entry visa). During the orientation program in Rome, we will explain how to obtain a permit of stay and the documents required for the application packet. Unless you are an Italian or European Union citizen, you must apply for a student visa, and then apply for the permit of stay once you arrive in Italy. You must submit the application within eight working days of the date issued on your student visa, which is usually the first day of the semester.

Does the Rome campus have on-campus student residence halls?
Yes, the SJU Rome Campus offers on-campus dormitory housing to graduate students, although they are used predominantly for our undergraduate programs. They are located on the top two floors of the campus, in the same building as our classrooms and administrative offices. Once you are accepted to the program, you will receive our housing guide describing both on-campus and off-campus housing options.

How much should I budget for living expenses while in Rome?
A room in a shared apartment in Rome typically costs between 500 – 700€ per month (this may or may not include bills).  If you prefer to live alone, expect to spend approximately 800 – 1200€ per month. In general, we suggest you budget at least 1100 – 1500€ per month for rent, bills, registration fees, text books, and social activities.

Is the Rome Campus wireless?
Yes. The entire Rome Campus is wireless and you can use your laptop within the building and outside, in the courtyard.

Can I work with my Italian student visa?
Yes, you are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week with your student visa/permit of stay. However, keep in mind that for the majority of jobs in Rome, you must speak Italian at an intermediate level or above. Outside of internships, many of our students teach English or work in tourism for extra money.

Are Italian courses offered at the Rome Campus?
Italian courses are not offered at the graduate level. However, there are many private language schools in Rome that specialize in teaching Italian to English-speakers. St. John’s University also offers a free online Italian language course.

Can I get career assistance at the Rome Campus?
Yes, there is career counseling available for résumé preparation and for internship / job searches. You will have are several opportunities to apply for internships, particularly with international organizations, where English proficiency is required. You will also have full access to all of the resources available at the Career Services office on the Queens campus.