Duration of Ceremony
- Great care has been taken to ensure the exercises are completed as quickly and as smoothly as possible. The exercises are expected to last between 1 hour and 2 hours, depending upon the school or college. Graduates and guests are asked to please show respect for all of their fellow classmates and remain until the end of the ceremony and the student recession has been completed.
Calling of Names and Hooding of Doctoral Students and Pharm.D. Students
- All graduates' names will be called at the exercises. As the graduate's name is announced, the graduate will walk across the stage to greet their dean.
- Doctoral level candidates and Pharm.D. candidates will be hooded at their school/college Commencement Exercises.
Ceremony Photography and Video
- There will be professional photographers from Grad Images taking photographs of the graduates. Click here for details.
- The ceremony will be captured on video and a DVD will be made available to graduates after the ceremony. Click here for details.
- Guests will not be able to approach the stage area or graduate seating area prior to the start of the ceremony or for the duration of the ceremony for any reason, including photography and videotaping.
Lost and Found
The Office of Public Safety will collect and hold any items that are lost or found. If you need to report or find a lost item, please see a Public Safety Officer.
- Please only bring necessary items with you on the day of Commencement. Please review the list below for items that are NOT allowed at the ceremony:
- No handbags or tote bags bigger then 10"x10"x10"
- Sealed packages of any kind
- Bottles or cans (glass or metal)
- Aerosol cans or noisemaking devices
- Alcoholic beverages
- Animals (unless a service animal)
- Flags, banners, or signs
- Any materials constituting unauthorized advertising or promotion
- Laser pointing devices
- Personal Folding Chairs
Rules of Conduct
- The Dean for Student Affairs advises graduates that the University will not hesitate to take serious disciplinary actions against students for alcohol abuse, destruction of property or other violations of University policy during graduation activities or the Commencement Exercises.
- Graduates and guests will receive a Commencement program with a full list of graduate names at the Commencement Exercises.
Graduate Responsibilities on Commencement Day
- Arrive at your assembly location no later than 4:30 p.m. for all schools except College of Professional Studies
- College of Professional Studies graduates should arrive in the assembly location no later than 4 p.m.
- Master degree candidates should wear their academic attire (gown, hood, and cap) to their ceremony. Your tassel should be on the right side.
- Doctoral degree candidates should wear their academic attire (gown and cap) to their ceremony and carry their hood over their right arm. They will be hooded as part of the ceremony.
- Wear comfortable footwear and clothing.
- It is strongly recommended not to bring personal belongings.
- Follow the line-up, processional and recessional instructions of your academic deans, marshals and event staff.
- Once directed to your row in the graduate seating area, remain standing until the end of the Invocation.
- Follow the instructions for the calling of your name as you are asked to walk across the stage.
If you need assistance during Commencement, please locate your dean, event staff or a Public Safety Officer.
Assembly and Line-Up Location for Graduates
- There is no rehearsal for the Commencement Exercises.
- The academic deans will be in the assembly area to line-up graduates in strict alphabetical order for the calling of names.
All graduates should assemble as follows:
College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences ~ Monday, May 15, 2017; 4:30 p.m. in Taffner Field House
The School of Education ~ Tuesday, May 16, 2017; 4:30 p.m. in Taffner Field House
The Peter J. Tobin College of Business ~ Wednesday, May 17, 2017; 4:30 p.m. in Taffner Field House
St. John's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences ~ Thursday, May 18, 2017; 4:30 p.m. in Taffner Field House
College of Professional Studies ~ Friday, May 19, 2017; 4 p.m. in the Auxiliary Gym, Carnesecca Arena