20 Questions With...
Raj Chetty, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, English
Raj Chetty, Ph.D., joined St. John’s in 2013 as an Assistant Professor of English. His research focuses on Caribbean literature and culture, postcolonial literary studies, Black/African diaspora studies, and performance studies. He also teaches world literatures in English and postcolonial literature and theory.
1. Yankees or Mets?
Chicago White Sox
2. Best advice for students
Own what you already know, and bring it to bear on what you learn.
3. Beach or mountains?
4. Favorite part of teaching at St. John’s
Engaged and committed students
5. If you could have dinner with any person, who would it be?
My wife, Sommer
6. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
7. If you could spend 24 hours in any city, where would it be?
Cape Town, South Africa
8. In one word, describe St. John’s.
9. Favorite place on campus
10. Coffee or tea?
11. Kindle or real book?
12. In three to five words, why is a St. John’s degree so valuable?
Demonstrates a commitment to learning
13. Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts?
14. Spring? Summer? Winter? Fall?
15. What is your hidden talent?
16. Carnesecca Arena or MSG?
17. How do you show your St. John’s pride: hoodie, T-shirt, or hat?
18. Important lesson learned from a student
Expressive arts give life
19. Three things you cannot live without
Family, Faith, Food
20. What is your fantasy career?
Writer for The Daily Show