More Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Does St. John's provdide Notary Services?
The Office of General Counsel provides notary services in connection with official University business. Please contact Allison Cannon at x6337 to arrange for document notarization. You are required to produce to the notary public photo identification in the form of a current document issued by a federal or state government. A St. John’s ID is not sufficient.

I received a summons/subpoena or other legal notice.  What should I do?
From time to time, University personnel receive official legal documents.  Examples include subpoenas requiring the University to produce copies of records for court proceedings, summonses notifying the University that a lawsuit has been commenced against it, notices of bankruptcy, and notices informing the University of its right to participate in consumer class action suits. 

In general, you should not accept a summons or subpoena that is addressed to St. John’s University, another individual or department.  You should instruct the process server that you do not have authority to accept service of the document and that the document should be taken to the Office of General Counsel.

If you do receive a summons or subpoena involving University business, please inform the Office of General Counsel immediately.  You should also keep a record of the date, time, and method (by hand or mail) by which you received the notice.  You should contact Louise Tedeschi or, if she is not available, Allison Cannon. 

If you are contacted by an attorney for any of the parties, please refer them to the Office of the General Counsel.

I received a request for educational records.  What should I do?
Federal law requires that special procedures be followed when the University receives a subpoena or other request for educational records concerning individual students.  The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (also know as the “Buckley Amendment”), provides that, with certain exceptions, educational records may not be disclosed to persons outside the University other than the student.  One of the exceptions permits the University to provide copies of student records in connection with judicial proceedings, but only if (1) the University has received a valid subpoena for the records; and (2) the University, before complying with the subpoena, makes a reasonable effort to notify the student that it has received the subpoena and intends to produce the requested records. 

Should you or your office receive a subpoena for educational records, please forward it to the Office of General Counsel as soon as possible. Be sure to specify who received the subpoena and how it was delivered. 

I received an inquiry from government and/or regulatory authorities.  What should I do?
The University may from time to time receive a request for information or site visits from government regulatory and investigative agencies.  Sometimes, the inquiry involves a matter in which the University is directly involved (e.g. inspection of University facilities) or where the University is not directly involved (e.g. law enforcement investigation of an individual).  In either case, it is important the that Office of General Counsel be notified immediately of all non-routine requests for information or site visits by government agencies.