Diversity Peer Education Program
One Campus One Vision for Diversity and Inclusion
The mission of Diversity Peer Education Program is to help create a learning environment that celebrates diversity, builds partnerships, and provides support to enhance the success of an inclusive and culturally respectful university campus.
The Diversity Peer Education Program strives to promote experiences characterized by open communication that deepens understanding of culture and heritage, to promote respect for commonalities and differences in historical and cultural contexts, to encourage civic and social responsibility within our communities, and to help make the campus a welcoming place for everyone.
We commit to help our students to gain insights, value diversity, and take actions by:
• Creating a cultural surrounding where diversity is a driving force
• Increasing appreciation of differences
• Limiting the influence of stereotypes
• Transforming knowledge into acceptance and empathy
• Understanding the impact of their behaviors on others
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will develop a sense of responsibility to social justice and diversity issues and service to others both in and out of the classroom
- Students will have the opportunity to enhance cultural sensitivity and competence through the formal and informal interactions with diverse peers, faculty members, administrators, and staff
- Students will gain a better understanding of the cultural challenges facing multicultural environment
- Students will articulate issues related to diversity in their surroundings through the reflections on one’s own understanding and experience
- Students will show greater openness and willingness to engage in respectful communication across social differences