What is TAP?
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) administered by
New York State Higher Education Services (NYSHESC) helps eligible
New York state residents pay tuition at approved schools in New
York State. An annual TAP Award can range from $275 to
$5,000. TAP is a grant and it does not have to be paid back.
Funding and eligibility requirements for TAP are contingent on the
State Budget and state regulations and are subject to
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for TAP, a student must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be a legal resident of New York State.
- Study full time (at least 12 credits per semester) at an
approved institution in New York State.
- Have graduated from high school, or have a GED, or have passed
a federally-approved exam.
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good
- Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC and not
be in default on any repayment of State awards.
- Meet income limitations.
Why is my TAP award
St. John’s estimates a TAP award for all New York State residents
who file a FAFSA. This estimate is based on the income
information reported on the FAFSA.
What determines the amount of the
The award amount is determined by:
- Academic year in which first payment of TAP or any state award
- Type of postsecondary institution and the tuition charge
- Combined family NYS net taxable income
- Financial status (dependent or independent)
- Other family members enrolled
What must I do now?
When you filed your FAFSA you were prompted to complete a TAP
application through HESC, if you did so, no further action is
required as long as St. John’s is the school on your TAP
application. If you did not complete the TAP application,
please go to www.hesc.ny.gov
to file a TAP application.
How can I view my TAP application status
or change my school code?
You may view your application status and/or make school code
changes online by visiting www.hesc.ny.gov , or calling
What is St. John’s school
|St John’s Undergraduate Division ||0751|
|St John’s Undergraduate PA Division ||1580|
|St John’s Undergraduate Weekend College Division||0753|