A professional look is not achieved
overnight any more than your personal success in a career. It takes
time to discover your "image" and pick the right clothes for your
working life. Your professional look is especially important when
interviewing or just starting your career because it shows that you
take pride in your work. Remember that first impressions last a
long time. Here are some basic rules to help guide you to a
- Conservative suit that is well cut, and
of quality cloth. The suit should be either navy blue or grey. The
basic business suit is single breasted, and two-piece.
- Classic long-sleeved white
- A yellow, red, or blue coordinating
simple silk tie. Ties should always cover the belt
- Shoes are always black or cordovan, and
not the moccasin type.
- Socks should be black or navy and cover
- Avoid using cologne or aftershave on job
- Jewelry should be kept to a minimum. A
watch and college ring are sufficient.
- Hair should be conservatively cut and
off the collar.
- Women have more flexibility than men in
interview dress. The goal is to look polished, pulled together and
as smart as your ideas
- A skirted suit that is well tailored. It
can be wool for the winter, or a blend for the spring and summer.
The best colors are navy blue or grey.
- Solid colored blouses, silk or cotton,
of a white or pastel color.
- Classic pumps, with a low or medium
heel. Best colors for versatility are navy, and black.
- Jewelry is to be kept simple; small stud
earrings rather than hanging ones are appropriate. Avoid excessive
necklaces, rings and bracelets, as they will be a
- Make-up should be simple and appropriate
for daywear. Use a light touch on eye shadow and blush. Lipstick
should be soft colored. The basic rule in make-up is to look simple
- Hair should be neatly styled. Intricate
or trendy hairstyles are to be avoided. Keep hair up or back so it
is away from your face.
- Colored or very long nails can be a
distraction to the interviewer, therefore your nails should be kept
at a reasonable length and trimmed. The color of the nails is best
clear or light pink.
- Avoid using fragrances on job
Your personal grooming is very important.
A professional person dresses professionally.