The School of Law is located in a quiet, safe, inexpensive and suburban neighborhood in Queens, about 12 miles from Manhattan. St. John’s understands that many incoming students will need to relocate to the area, and we would like to provide you with the information to make this transition as smoothly as possible. There are several housing options for law students including:
- Living in the University-owned DePaul Townhouses;
- Living in Off-Campus Housing; and/or
- Being placed on the Roommate List.
Please list your property below.
Law students may, but are not required to, enroll in a meal plan. The St. John's University Office of Residence Life 718-990-2417 administers meal plans for law students living in University housing. All other law students may review the commuter meal plan or contact 718-990-2000 for more information and to sign-up for a meal plan.
For more information about all that the Queens campus has to offer, please visit the Queens campus Student Life website.
If you have any further questions concerning your housing options, please contact the Admissions Office at 718-990-6474.
The University maintains a group of townhouses about one mile from campus for the exclusive use of law students. Because the DePaul Townhouses are fully occupied each year, we do not offer tours of the apartments. However, you may click here to view a photo gallery.
Opened in 2005, the DePaul Townhouses contain one-, two-, and three-bedroom furnished apartments. Each bedroom is furnished with a desk, desk chair, extra-long twin bed, and dresser. The one-bedroom apartments have one bathroom, and the two- and three-bedroom apartments have two bathrooms. Each apartment contains a full kitchen with gas stove, full-size refrigerator, sink, and wood cabinets. Many kitchens also contain dishwashers. Each apartment has a spacious living area complete with a dining table and chairs, couch/loveseat, coffee table, and chair. Apartments on the second and third floors of the Townhouses have sliding glass doors leading out to balconies.
Included in the price of living in DePaul are all utilities, including wireless internet throughout, cable TV (including HD TV channels) in the common area and each bedroom, and resident-controlled heat and air conditioning units in the common area and each bedroom. Most apartments also contain a stackable washer/dryer for your convenience.
There are currently 69 spaces available in DePaul for law students. Law students are placed in single, private bedrooms and, in the case of two- and three-bedroom apartments, are assigned to apartments with residents of the same gender. Students sign a contract to live in DePaul for the academic year, but there is an option to live in DePaul during the summertime, should certain criteria be met.
The Assistant Director of Residence Life and one graduate student live in DePaul on behalf of the Office of Residence Life, which is located on the Queens Campus in Donovan Hall, Garden Level, Room C-16.
The rate for all rooms in the DePaul Houses for the 2014-2015 academic year is $13,660. Summer 2014 rates are $1,385.
Securing Placement in the DePaul Townhouses
STEP 1: DEPOSIT
- Submit your seat deposit per the instructions in your admission letter.
- Submit the $500 housing deposit (refundable for any reason until June 1, 2014 and refundable thereafter only if the deposit is made when no spaces are available and a request for refund is made.) The date your housing deposit is received will determine priority in housing portal appointment times to select room.
- You may pay via check or money order made payable to St. John’s University and sent to the Law School Admissions Office, 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY 11439 or
- Via credit card on your UIS/Touch Net Account.
- Upon receipt of both your seat and housing deposit, you will receive an email from our Office of Residence Life inviting you to the housing portal to begin the application process.
STEP 2: APPLY AND SIGN HOUSING AGREEMENT
- After paying the deposit (step 1), students will receive instructions to login to the Housing Portal, our online interactive website, to complete the housing application, housing agreement, and student profile, and to search for possible roommate matches. This part of the process must be completed by June 1, 2014, in order to be eligible for self-service online room and meal selection. Upon receipt of your properly completed application and contact, the University Office of Residence Life staff will place you in the DePaul Townhouses based on the preferences you express on your application, if available.
STEP 3: SELECT YOUR ROOM AND MEAL PLAN
- After completing step two, students will receive an email with a Housing Portal appointment time. On or after their schedule time, students may log into the Housing Portal to review available spaces, select a room, and choose a meal plan (if applicable). Please be certain to complete this step by noon on Thursday, June 5, 2014. After this date, students with incomplete applications will be manually assigned a room space and meal plan by the Office of Residence Life.
- In late July, you will receive move-in information, including a list of what may and may not be brought to the Townhouses, as well as your specific apartment placement.
- Move-in will take place in mid-August, typically days before the start of Orientation.
- A housing wait list will be maintained if the number of deposits exceeds the number of available placements.
Administered by the University Office of Residence Life, meal plans are offered to DePaul residents but are not required while living in University housing. For more information, please visit our resident meal plans website or contact the Office of Residence Life at 718-990-2417 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The School of Law is located on St. John's University's Queens Campus, in a quiet, safe, inexpensive, and suburban neighborhood about 12 miles from Manhattan. In an effort to assist our students with their move to the NYC area, the Law School maintains a Off-campus Housing Newsletter webpage from mid-March through mid-August with a listing of local neighborhoods, landlords, realtors, and available listings. While the School of Law does not endorse any specific property, landlord or realtor, we hope the Housing Newsletter will help you start your off-campus housing search.
If choosing to live off-campus, admitted students should allow ample time to learn the area, visit several properties, and secure an apartment. Remember that New York City apartments tend to move quickly, so you may wish to plan a visit to the area and set up meetings with several landlords to make the most efficient use of your time. Also, securing a roommate may be a smart and economical option. Please see the section on the Roommate List for more information.
Current students may download the Housing Newsletter (PDF).
Please visit the Landlord tab below for information about how to make your listing visible to law students.
The Law School maintains a list of current and admitted law students who are interested in finding a roommate from mid-April until mid-August. If you would like to be added to the Roommate List, please complete and return the Roommate List Form. The Roommate List will be e-mailed weekly to those on the list.
Please note that the Roommate List is for those looking for off-campus housing only.
While the School of Law does not endorse any specific property, landlord or realtor, we compile local off-campus housing information and make it available exclusively to law students and other members of the law school community in the form of an online Housing Newsletter.
Our Housing Newsletter runs from March through mid-August. Most law students search for housing in the summertime, just prior to the start of the academic year. The highest demand tends to be for studio and one-bedroom apartments, though we welcome listings of all types. If you would like to list your property in our Housing Newsletter from March through mid-August, please complete this form and return it via e-mail Dorothy.Moran@stjohns.edu, fax 718-990-2526, or U.S. Mail
St. John's University School of Law
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
Upon renting your property, please contact the law school at 718-990-6600 so that we can remove your property from the Housing Newsletter. This will help our list stay current and keep your unwanted contacts to a minimum.
If you would like to list your property during the months the Housing Newsletter is not in distribution, please post your listing to stj.jumpoffcampus.com. Please note that this website is not a St. John's University-owned website and, in posting your listing to this site, it may be accessed by all St. John's University students, not just the law school community. However, this is the site to which the St. John's University Office of Residence Life refers students to assist in finding off-campus housing. You may also choose to post here during the months the Housing Newsletter is being distributed to increase the reach of your listing.
|United Mutual Realty, Inc.|
188-04 64th Avenue, Ste. 1J
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
Peter Mazza, Sales Agent
|Julia Shildkret Real Estate Group, LLC|
Lee Rachel Klein
|Weichert Realtors, FH Realty|
101-15 Metropolitan Avenue
Forest Hills, NY 11375
|ERA Gotham Realty Group|
176-57 Union Turnpike
Fresh Meadows, NY 11366
Ron Cohen, Broker
Luis Chavez, Rentals
**Discount SJU ID
166-20 Union Turnpike
Flushing, NY 11366
Alexandra Muriel or Laura Keller
Office Tel: 718.380.4770
Alexandra Cell: 718.551.5299
Laura Cell: 718.795.3414
St. John’s University does NOT endorse anyspecific property, landlord or realtor.
Local Neighborhoods include but are NOT limited to:
- Kew Gardens
- Fresh Meadows
- Jamaica Estates/Heights
- Forest Hills
- Rego Park
Websites current and past students have found helpful:
- Trulia - Queens, NY
- studenthousing.org (Summer and Semester availability) 212-977-9099 or 1-800-297-4694
- therentables.com/go/stjohns— Surrounding area housing market info
Local Classifieds also include:
- Apartment to Share: $650 & 630; large three bedroom apartment to share by 3 law students; have own bedroom & share kitchen, living room, deck, yard, etc. 15-20 minute walk to school; available: August
Address: 168th Street, between 73rd and 71st Ave.
Contact: Professor Todres: 718.990.6627
- 2 Bedroom Share: $700 (neg.); includes cable, internet, electric/gas; fully furnished, stylish, glamorous& spacious apt. w/shared bath; shared w/1 young female interior designer, very clean, mature and friendly; across from bus lines; LIRR, near 7 train; less than 10- minute drive to STJ; available immediately.
Address: 160th Street & Sanford Avenue, Flushing
- Studio: $850; l month’s rent/1 month’s security deposit all utilities included; large apartment; semi-furnished; separate entrance; 10 blocks from St. John’s.
Address: Jamaica Estates
Contact: Mrs. Michaels: 718.291.5529
- Studio: $995; all utilities including heat, gas, electricity, internet; unique & beautiful, furnished garden apt., private entrance; new kitchen & bathroom; quiet and beautiful neighborhood; 10-min. walk to St. John’s.
Address: 184-29 Aberdeen Road, Jamaica Estates
Contact: Ms. Artus: 718.380.0658
- 2 Bedroom Share: $825; electric not included; seeking a female roommate to share huge & fully-furnished apt. with; separate living room, dining room, kitchen & shared bathroom, large bedroom: can fit queen size bed with 2 dressers; has its own large closet; bed & some furniture; great location: by restaurants & transportation; very accessible and quiet neighborhood; rent will go up approx. $40 in August;
Address: 188th Street & 64th Ave., Fresh Meadows
Contact: Nk: email@example.com
- Bedroom: $1150 (neg.) including gas, electric, & wifi; fully furnished; separate side entrance, and thermostat for heat; new bathroom and shower; new tiling throughout; new windows; pine-paneled walls; easy parking; nearby shopping; 7 blocks from STJ)
Address: 67-26 170th Street., Fresh Meadows
Contact: Pat Wargon: 718.886.2929 (9am to 11pm)
- 2 Bedroom Share: $1600; heat & gas included; electric not included; share kitchen & bath; furnished; private entrance; 1 block from STJ.
Address: 77-23 170th Street, Flushing (Avail. August)
Contact: Jim Goetz: 917.929.2303
- 1 Bedroom: $1,450 (neg.); plus1month’s broker’s fee; all utilities included; second floor; hardwood floors; no pets; park across the street.
Address: 69-42 199th Street, Fresh Meadows
Contact: Jan (Breezes Brokerage: 917.337.1843
- 2 Bedroom: $1750; Verizon fios service-ready; 900 sq. feet; second floor of a 2-family house; eat-in kitchen large living room; plenty of closets with 1 walk-in closet in master bedroom; 4 miles from STJ,15-minute drive;
Address: 66-19 Burns Street, Rego Park, NY
Contact: Stephanie: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Studio: $850, includes heat, hot water, electricity & internet; approx. 400 sq. feet; located in private house; private back yard and private entrance; separate kitchen, full bathroom, air conditioning provided
Address: 159th Street & 84th Avenue
Contact: Basil (broker): 212.671.1112
- 2 Bedroom: $2000; 1st month rent & security; heat & hot water included; $50 additional for air condition usage; owner requires: credit check, references; newly renovated; located on the 2nd floor in a well maintained building; hardwood floors, upgraded bathroom & new kitchen appliances; new light fixtures; freshly painted; great neighborhood with nearby stores, shops, restaurants.
Address: Sunnyside, Queens
Contact: Peter 718.614.6243 or email email@example.com
- 2 Bedroom: $1,750; includes heat, hot water & air cond. included; pre-war building; large apartment with lots of natural light; large living room; full bathroom; large eat-in kitchen; hardwood floors throughout.
available: August 1st.
Address: 8434 164th Street, Jamaica Hill
Contact: Basil: 917.992.5189 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Bedroom; $1,250; newly renovated and modern furnished apartment; mint condition and freshly painted with new appliances, floors, new bathroom; laundry room included; a must see; no roommates please
Address: Fresh Meadows
Contact: Orit Sperber: 646.239.4386
- 2 Bedrooms: $1,900; newly renovated apartment, (5) rooms, hardwood floors, granite counters, new appliances, laundry on premises; close to M & L trains; Q39, Q58, B13, B38 & QM25 buses.
Address: 20-41 Linden Street, Ridgewood
Contact: Brian Byfield: 212.831.1368 or email: Brianresales@gmail.com
- 3 Bedroom: $2,800; includes gas & water; private 2-family house; owner occupied; duplex apartment, 1st floor: Living room, & kitchen: 2nd floor: bedrooms: small, medium, & large; bathroom; 1/2 mile from STJ; 10-block walk; or 2-block walk to bus: 2 stops-8 minutes; no pets, no washer/dryer; no smoking;month to month; 1st & last month’s rent.
Address: 160.23 78th Road, Apt.#1, Fresh Meadows
Contact: Jill at email@example.com
- Studios, 1, 2 & 3 Bedrooms: $1,450-2095+, including: heat, hot water, & gas; The Opal: luxury building with: library, recreation room, health & fitness center; landscaped courtyard & rooftop sundeck; secure underground parking garage; local shuttle; apartments have gourmet kitchens, oversized windows, parquet floors, and dishwashers; some apartments have washer/dryer;private terraces.
Address: 75-23 153rd Street, Kew Gardens
Contact: 718.380.6725 or theopalny.com
- Studio; $999; electric, gas, A/C.; wifi & cable included; 2 rooms, in a private house with separate entrance; willFit one person, none smoker, no pets.
Address: 184-66 Cambridge Road, Jamaica Estates
Contact: Isaac: 201.469.6230 or Isaac.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Studio; $850; all utilities included; private entrance; Address: 172nd Street and Union Turnpike (directlyacross street from St. John’s.)
Contact: Sara: 718.591.3970 or 516.220.9885
- Three-Bedroom; $2400; all utilities included; cable and Internet are not included; 2 family private brick house on the second floor and attic; 3 large bedrooms with 2 large walk-in closets; sunny, quiet neighborhood in a safe Area; 2 blocks to Union Turnpike, 1 block to bus stop; 5-10 minute walk; available August 16th
Address: 164-12 77th Road, Fresh Meadows, NY 11366
Contact: Annie at email@example.com
St. John’s University does NOT endorse any specific property, landlord or realtor.
Please contact the Admissions Office if you have a property to rent. Apartment listings are submitted by local landlords and found in local papers. This is a limited list.
Please contact the Admissions Office upon rental.