Why Study Abroad?
Why Study Abroad with St. John’s?
Given how often you hear about study abroad, would it surprise you to learn that only 10% of college grads nationwide take advantage of the opportunity? At St. John’s, we think of that statistic as a challenge, driving us to create new, innovative programs that encourage students to study and live outside the U.S. And our amazing students hear the call—roughly 25% study abroad, handily outpacing the national average!
So what makes our programs unique?
- Academics. Locally informed scholarly inquiry is at the core of our study abroad programs. With that in mind, we offer intellectually engaging classes that are taught by dedicated, highly trained St. John’s faculty throughout the world.
- Affordability. Study abroad should be accessible to all students. To make that a reality, St. John’s offers generous financial aid and scholarships that aim to accommodate every student, independent of their financial resources.
- Safety. We want you to expand your intellectual and personal horizons, safely. Our full-time student life and academic support staff in each of our semester locations work with you to make sure you’re able to make smart choices. And when things don’t go perfectly? You’ll have St. John’s-provided health insurance and worldwide emergency assistance – all covered by your program fee.
- Vincentian Difference: Giving Back. Helping to change lives is an inspiring experience – one that sets studying abroad with St. John’s programs apart from most others. Each year, our study abroad students commit roughly 5,000 hours to service sites worldwide. You’ll make a real difference through activities like teaching English to local students, serving in soup kitchens, and working with the elderly. Best of all, giving back often forms a central part of your academic experience. Through our Academic Service-Learning offerings, you’ll work with the community while fulfilling course-based experiential education requirements.
- Student Support—Before, During, and After the Program. At St. John’s you’ll receive personal attention. We’ll be with you every step of the way, making sure you are fully prepared to get the most out of your experience. We’ll even (happily) talk to your parents to help them understand why you’ll have a great, safe experience!