- Study Abroad
- The World, Your Classroom
- New York, the World’s City
- International Students and Scholars
Discover the World: Europe
Three Countries, One Semester… Discover the World: Europe
Imagine living in three major European cities within a single semester. Through the Discover the World: Europe program, you'll engage Paris, France; Rome, Italy; and Seville, Spain as part of the academic and cultural exploration of a lifetime.
- Popular Core Classes
Academics are the center of all SJU study abroad programs. And with a diverse selection of courses on offer in the three remarkable cities you’ll call home for five weeks each, your academic journey will trek across a diverse range of topics of study. Imagine taking Religions of the World in Paris, where you’ll get a taste of the city’s religious diversity (and its relationship to France’s modern political realities) by visiting locations such as the Grand Mosque of Paris, or taking City of Rome during your stay in Italy, where you’ll explore the wide spectrum of art and design—from ancient to modern—at the museums and monuments scattered across the “Eternal City, or taking Intermediate Spanish Conversation while in Seville, where you'll broaden your oral and written Spanish language proficiency.
- Innovative Modular Format
Through Discover the World’s unique course format, you’ll complete a semester’s worth of credits in three, five-week sessions—with one or two courses in each city. By focusing on a few classes in each “module,” you’ll find time to become immersed in each campus’s academics while exploring the city. Imagine taking Religions of the World in Paris, where you'll get a taste of the city's religious diversity (and it's relationship to France's modern political realities) by visiting locations such as the Grand Mosque of Paris; or taking City of Rome during your stay in Italy, where you'll explore the Eternal City's art, historical periods, and literary and cultural movements by visiting a number of the city's most renowned mounuments and musuems; or taking a Spanish language course in Seville, where you'll learn conversation skills within the context of Spanish culture.
- The Vincentian Difference
Helping to change lives in an inspiring experience—one that enhances the study abroad experience. By engaging in service-learning activities, you’ll make a difference in the lives of those you work with at local schools, in soup kitchens, or in other locations throughout our cities. Through our Academic Service-Learning offerings, you’ll work with the community while fulfilling course-based experiential education requirements, a truly Vincentian education.
- Vibrant Excursions throughout Rome, Paris, and Seville
One of the most exciting parts of the study abroad experience is exploring your host city. Excursions in and near each of the three host cities offer the perfect means to take advantage of your time abroad. Imagine visiting sites like the Château de Versailles near Paris, the Coliseum in Rome, and the Alacázar in Seville. You’ll be experiencing some of the world’s most revered monuments, all while you’re guided by our experienced staff and faculty, to maximize your academic and cultural experience.
Because we want as many students to study abroad as possible, independent of major, many study abroad classes come from the SJU core curriculum (e.g., we offer courses from the Theology, Philosophy, and Art & Design departments).
- You can view a complete list of course offerings here
- You can view the Discover the World: Europe Academic Calendar here
- Learn more about our academic philosophy here
- Contemplating a study abroad semester? We encourage you to meet with your Academic Advisor roughly one year before departure to create an academic “plan of action,” holding the classes you’ll need to make the most of your time away.
- You’ll need to maintain full-time status while you’re abroad. That means you’ll need to be registered for a minimum of 12 credits and a maximum of 18 credits. You’ll also need to be enrolled in at least one course in each city, in order to ensure you make the most of your new surroundings and take full academic advantage of what each campus has to offer!
All three SJU campuses are based in centralized locations, ensuring you’re with within walking distance of major landmarks, cultural hubs, and public transportation. They’re also staffed by friendly, bi-lingual staff whose bios you can find within the campus page links below.
Fall 2015 & Spring 2016 Program Fee: $8,290 (tuition and airfare not included)
Note: the Program Fee covers accommodation, our meal program abroad, excursions, and student health insurance.
Great News: In an effort to make study abroad more accessible to you, St. John’s offers additional financial aid toward semester programs abroad (based on financial aid). Grants can reach in excess to $6,000, which puts a significant dent in the $8,290 Program Fee. To find out if you’re eligible for a Study Abroad Grant and how much it will be—look for a letter from the Office of Student Financial Services, sent home each semester, which compares the cost of study abroad with the cost of staying on the New York campus.
Also, we highly suggest you check out our scholarship listings and conduct personal scholarship research of your own. You may be surprised by the scholarship opportunities you’ll come across via a simple Google search.
For tips from prior students on how to spend money wisely while abroad, read through the “Preparing to Go” section of our Student Guide.
- Discover Italy: Rome
- Discover Italy: Rome Pharmacy and Health Sciences
- Discover Italy: Education
- Discover Italy: Pharmacy Sixth Year Program
- Discover France: Biology and Chemistry Program
- Discover France: Paris
- Discover Spain: Psychology
- Discover Spain: Seville
- Discover the World: Europe
- Discover the World: Pharmacy
- Discover the World: History
- Internships in Europe