100 Madison Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11550
(516) 486-8506 ext 115
Nature and Purpose of
To assist hungry and homeless Long Islanders in need of basic human
services, food, clothing and emergency housing in a dignified
Tasks Available for
Emergency Family Shelters
- Conduct story time, arts & crafts projects or games with
- Holiday arts and crafts projects.
- Conduct a beauty clinic, i.e., make-up and hair styling.
- Assist staff with various projects around the house, e.g.
sorting clothing donations, organizing closets, helping to prepare
- Assist in preparing, serving and clean-up of meal;
- Shifts vary in different soup kitchens.
- Stock and inventory pantry.
- Sort clothing and help distribute during meal time.
- Bag groceries or personal care items for distribution to
- Office Support
- General office work; e.g. answering phones, typing, stuffing
envelopes, assist in organizing volunteers for group events.
- Holiday time — volunteers may be needed for different
Shifts: 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Food and clothing distribution
*** MUST Complete shifts in full. Will accommodate groups with
STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE 6 HOURS OR MORE for the morning shift in ONE
Must schedule through Melanie Serge or Dept. of Academic
Direction to the Mary Brennan INN - Southern State Pkwy: Take
southern Sate to exit 19 north, (this will place you on Peninsula
Blvd.) Go 3 lights down Peninsula Blvd. (stay to the left). On the
3rd light, make a left on President street. Go down President
Street for 2 lights. On the 2nd light, (Madison Ave) make a right.
Go down Madison Ave. 2 blocks. On your right you will see the Mary
Take Hempstead Tpke. North (Hempstead Tpke turns into Fulton Ave).
Go to Franklin Ave. and Make a left at the light. Take Franklin
Ave. to Peninsula Blvd. (Stay to your right). There will be a Hess
Gas station on your right. Take Peninsula Blvd 2 blocks. Make a
right on Madison Ave. We are the 3rd building for the corner on
your left hand side. The Mary Brennan INN.