10th Biennial Vincentian Chair of Social Justice Conference
A Focus on the Common Good: Homelessness and the Need for Systemic Change
October 21, 2017
8:30 am – 2:00 pm
D'Angelo Center, Room 416
Open to Public
Follow St. John's University on Twitter and tweet about the Poverty Conference using #SJUPovertyConference
This year’s conference—entitled “A Focus on the Common Good: Homelessness and the Need for Systemic Change”— addresses the need to welcome the stranger and serve the most marginalized in our country and communities.
The conference is FREE of charge and complimentary coffee, tea and a light lunch will be provided.
In addition to St. John’s faculty, personnel and students, the conference welcomes participation from external partners such as religious leaders, service-providers, community organizers, and faculty from other institutions. The experts and participants will develop action plans for individuals and communities to effectively address homelessness at the local and national levels.
- Provide an interdisciplinary examination of homelessness, including perspectives from the disciplines of theology, economics, health, mental health, law and the social sciences.
- Identify concrete actions for individuals, communities, states and national actors to address homelessness.
- Identify strategies that aim to integrate Catholic Social Thought and the preferential option for the poor into discourse and policy decision-making.
Each of these goals reflects the Catholic and Vincentian character of St. John’s University in the service of its Mission.
- Reflections from the Road: Vincentian Hospitality Principles in Healthcare Education for the Indigent
- Project Renewals
- 50 Years of Project Renewal: A Conversation with Betty Kierna
“Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head.”
The Vincentian Center for Church and Society extends a special thanks to:
- The members of the Vincentian Faculty Research Fellows who served on the Planning Committee and gave direction to this Conference.
- Professor William (Alex) Morel who included a special project on “Homelessness" in his Photography and Social Justice Class. The results of this effort will be seen at the conference.
- Professor Meghan Clark and her Catholic social teaching classes for their posters on Homelessness & Human Dignity in 20 cities. The results of this assignment will also be evident at the conference.
Free Parking on Campus
Free parking on campus situated closest to the D’Angelo Center are: the general lot located at the intersection of Union Tpke. and 175th Street directly inside Gate 4, and the parking garage located on Union Tpke. Between 170th and 173rd Streets. The D’Angelo Center is positioned on the hill between these two lots. For directions to the campus by car or public transportation click here.
Hotel for Out of Town Guests
Interested in staying at a hotel? Please click here for information about hotels in the nearby area.
For more information, contact:
The Vincentian Center for Church and Society at 718-990-1612 or VCCS@stjohns.edu.