Staten Island, Richmond County, New York
Don't know much about Staten Island? Don't feel bad. Even those in some areas of New York and New Jersey may not know much about the Island.
Staten Island is a county in the state of New York. Richmond county, or Staten Island, is also a borough of New York City.
As the southern most point in New York state, Staten Island borders mainland New Jersey, separated only by the narrow Arthur Kill river channel and three crossings (Outerbridge, Goethals and Bayonne bridges). On the northeastern tip of the Island, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge stretches across lower New York Bay to Brooklyn.
Demographics of Richmond County*
- Population - 468,730
- 63.7% non-Hispanic White; 17.6% Hispanic/Latino/Spanish; 11.7% African American; 7.9% Asian
- 70.3% - Own a home
- 28.5% - Bachelor degree or higher
- 54% - Catholic
- Median household income - $71,084
*Sources: 2010 US Census; ARDA
- Total area of 102.5 square miles
- Land comprises 58.5 square miles; water 44.0 square miles
- Highest elevation - 410 feet (highest point on the east coast, south of Maine)
Learn about the History of Staten Island