This department offers a 21-credit Advanced Certificate in
Literacy B-6 or 5-12 leading to professional certification as a
Literacy Specialist. To be eligible for the Advanced Certificate in
Literacy, you must have completed a Master’s Degree in Education
possessing initial teaching certification.
The coursework will provide you with the core Literacy courses
offered in the Master’s program.
If you are a 48-credit Career Change student, the two courses
taken in Literacy can be applied to the Advanced Certificate.
Therefore, Career Change students need to take 15 literacy
- EDU 3200: Language Acquisition and Literacy Development
- EDU 3210: Research and Practice of Teaching Writing and General
and Inclusive Education or
- EDU 3264: Teaching Literacy through Literature, B-6
- EDU 3220: Approaches, Materials, and Performance
- EDU 3270: Theories of and Strategies for Teaching Literacy in
- EDU 3230: Diagnosis and Recommendations for Literacy
Performance (Pre. or Core. 3220 and 3270)
- EDU 3240: Literacy and Assessment Strategies for Diverse
Learners (Prerequisite, 3230)
- EDU 3250: Practicum and Seminar in Literacy Instruction (Pre.
Requisite 3230 and 3240
E. Francine Guastello, Ph.D.,
Sullivan Hall G9
8000 Utopia Pkwy
Queens, NY 11439
Kelly K. Ronayne, D.A.
Staten Island Campus
300 Howard Ave.
DaSilva Center 207
Staten Island, NY 10301
Steve Kuntz, Ph. D
Oakdale, NY 11769
Linda J. Faucetta
101 Murray St.
New York, NY 10007