Monday November 1st - Friday,
Students in Donovan, DaSilva, Hollis, Carey, Century, O’Conner, St.
Vincent, Townhouses and Henley, compete to reduce your energy use!
St. John's is competing against 40 schools in the Campus Conservation Nationals
to prove that we have energy smarts and the power to protect our
planet. Cash prizes will be awarded to the 2 halls who reduce their
use the most, and an additional prize will be awarded to every
building if St.John's beats everyone in the NY branch of the
Check out the STJ Building
Dashboard, where you can track your building's energy use in
Here are some tips to help reduce
your energy use:
- Use CFL (Compact Fluorescent Light) bulbs in your desk or
- Turn off lights when not needed, even for a few minutes.
- Make use of natural daylight.
- Unplug your chargers when you are not charging phones, PDAs,
digital cameras and computers.
- Use power strips to switch off televisions, home theater
equipment and stereos when not in use.
- Enable the “sleep mode” on your computer, allowing it to use
less power during periods of inactivity.
- Keep A/C and heat running 'low' or 'off' as much as
- Use the appliances like blow-dryers less often and for a
shorter period of time.
- When doing laundry, wash with cold water and a full
- Clean the lint filter in the dryer after each use.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.