1. Boot: A device used to temporarily
immobilize a vehicle.
2. Campus: Describes all property owned, leased
and/or controlled by St. John’s University.
3. Commuter student: Any student who does not live
in a residence hall.
4. Handicapped: A parking area identified with a
sign bearing the international disability symbol that is restricted
at all times for use by vehicles bearing a valid University parking
permit and New York State issued handicapped parking permit.
5. Fire Zone: An area needed for emergency access
to buildings, fire hydrants or fire equipment. Such areas include,
but are not limited to, areas with adjacent curbs painted yellow.
Parking in fire lanes is prohibited.
6. Illegal use of permit: A parking violation in
which a citation is issued under the following circumstances:
a) Use of a permit on a vehicle not
registered with Public Safety
b) Use of a permit obtained under false pretenses
c) Use of a modified permit (altered, tampered)
d) Use and/or retention of a permit by person(s) ineligible, for
such a permit as described and authorized within the Parking Rules
and Regulations guidelines
7. Loading Zone: A loading dock, or an area
signed “Loading Zone” adjacent to a facility, in a parking area, or
near a residence hall. Such an area is intended for loading and
unloading bulky or voluminous material. Loading zones are
restricted at all times.
8. Moped: Any two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor
vehicle with an engine displacement of 50cc or less.
9. Motorcycle: Any two-wheeled or three-wheeled
motor vehicle with an engine displacement greater than 50cc.
10. Motor vehicle: All motor-driven conveyances except
11. No parking zone: Any area with pavement
markings and posted signs but are not limited to, areas with
adjacent curbs or rails painted yellow.
12. Park/parking: This refers to the placement or
standing of a vehicle, with or without a driver in attendance and
with or without the engine running.
13. Parking permit: A vinyl, plastic, window
decal, or paper instrument sanctioned by Public Safety that is
displayed from a vehicle and authorizes parking in specified
14. Residence student: A student living in the
15. Residence Village Lot: A parking area close to
a residence hall. Parking spaces in these areas are assigned to
residence students by Public Safety.
16. StormCard: The University ID card that
activates the gates controlling access to certain parking
17. Summer Session: The summer session includes
all summer school sessions beginning on the first day of the
earliest session, and the last day of the latest session.
18. Visitors: Persons who are not University
members and who only visit the campus on an occasional basis.
19. University X number: A unique number for an
individual provided by the University – known as the University ID