Ten Tips for Student Success
- Attend your classes. Remember in
the words of Woody Allen 'Seventy percent of success in life is
- Know your faculty. Make sure you
know who your teachers are, when their office hours are and how to
- Make sure the faculty knows you.
Sit in the front of the classroom. Participate in class
discussions. Consult with your teachers during office hours.
- Use a daily planner. Note the
dates of exams, assignments, term papers, etc.
- Be organized. Prioritize your
responsibilities. Manage your time. Remember everyone has the same
168 hours a week, only some of us use them better than
- Know your campus resources. Visit
your Academic's Dean Office regularly. Become familiar with the
services and programs offered by the Counseling Center, The
Freshmen Center, the Career Center, the Campus Ministry Office and
the Student Life Office.
- Take care of you health. Get
enough sleep. Eat well-balanced meals. Exercise regularly. Make
informed and mature decisions about alcohol, sex and drugs. Visit
the Health Office as needed.
- Work only as necessary. Try not
the exceed 20 hours during a school week. If possible, work on
campus. Apply for financial aid and loans if you need them. Manage
your expenses very carefully.
- Get involved in campus activities.
It will help you learn valuable skills, expand your social network
and enhance your self-confidence. Seek out opportunities to apply
what you learn in the classroom.
- Keep your eyes on the prize.
Clarify your goals. Know why you are in college in the first place.
Visualize your success on a daily basis.