Find answers to your most frequently asked questions on transferring to St. John's.

Who is a transfer?
If you have attended an institution of higher education for any period of time after graduating from secondary school, you must apply as a transfer. Transfer students are evaluated primarily on the basis of their college-level work. 

Do you accept credits from my college?
St. John’s grants credit for courses you successfully completed at other accredited institutions. Transfer credit policies vary depending on the college at St. John’s to which you apply. Please contact the Office of Admission at 888-9STJOHNS or admhelp@stjohns.edu for answers to any questions you may have about transfer credit.

What is the maximum number of transfer credits St. Johns University will accept?
St. John’s will accept most Associate degree credits.  No more than 90 credits can be transferred to St. John’s.

How many credits and what GPA do I need to be admitted?
Applicants to St. John’s are very different from one another, presenting a variety of academic and extracurricular activities. Your admission to St John’s is based on many factors, not only your GPA. Students can apply as transfers regardless of the number of college credits they have already completed.

Do I need to submit high school information?
Transfer applicants who have not completed their Associates Degree must provided a high school transcript with graduation date on it.

When should I apply?
St. John’s offers rolling admissions, so we accept applications year round.

Are scholarships available for transfer students?
Merit-based scholarships are available and range from $4,000 to $15,000 per year.  Phi Theta Kappa members are also awarded an additional annual scholarship in the amount of $2000.  Scholarships are awarded based on the academic strength of the applicant and at the time of admission.  No separate application is required.

What do I need to do to get the scholarships?
You are automatically evaluated for a transfer scholarship when you apply.  You will be eligible to receive the PTK scholarship if it is indicated on your transcript, or if you submit proof that you are part of the Honor Society (i.e., a letter from the advisor or a certificate)

Do I need a certain amount of credits to get a scholarship?
You would need at least 24 college credits to be evaluated for a transfer scholarship.

Can scholarship amounts be re-evaluated if I send an updated transcript?
Yes. If you send us your most recent transcript, you can be re-evaluated for an academic scholarship. However, there is no guarantee something will change and it MUST be presented prior to the beginning of the semester in which you plan to enroll.

Does St. Johns University provide housing for transfer students?
Yes. Housing is available for transfer students.

Can I reapply to St. Johns University?
Yes.  If you have applied to St. John’s within the past year, you may reactivate your application by notifying the Office of Admission in writing.  Please email admhelp@stjohns.edu to request to reactivate your application, including information about what you have done since your original application, to which college/program you wish to apply, and for which semester you wish to apply.   You must ensure that we have received all your supporting documentation which may include standardized test scores, high school transcript(s), GED, and/or college transcript(s).

Can I earn a second Bachelor's degree?
St. John’s does not allow students to pursue a second Bachelor’s degree unless it is in a discipline that differs from their first Bachelor’s degree.  Students are reviewed on a case by case basis by the Dean of their intended college. For more information please contact transfers@stjohns.edu.

Are transfer students eligible for financial aid?
Transfer students can apply for federal aid by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov and filling out the financial aid application for the proper year. You will have to switch your current school code to the St. John’s school code (002823). Call (718) 990-2000 at any time to check your financial aid status.

Can I apply to the Pharmacy program?
The Pharmacy program is a 0-6 program designed only for students coming straight from high school. They cannot have any college credits prior to entering.

Can I apply to Pharmacy if I don’t use my college credits?
You are welcome to apply to the Pharmacy program, however this major is traditionally for incoming high school seniors entering in their first year of college. 

Do you need my SAT scores?
We require your SAT scores if you have less than 24 credits completed. We prefer to have the SAT scores if you are applying to the Tobin College of Business.

When can I find out how many credits will transfer over?
Students go through a credit evaluation after being accepted to the University. The Dean will evaluate the credits and see which can be applied to your degree with St. John’s.

Where can I find course descriptions and pre-requisites?
View our list of undergraduate programs and click on the program that you’re interested in. Everything is listed according to major.

What transcripts do I have to provide?
The transcripts from every institution you’ve attended. If you have less than 60 college credits, we would need your official high school transcript, complete with your graduation date posted.

Do you use four credit classes or only three credit classes from other colleges?
Most four credit classes would translate to three credit classes here. The exception would likely apply to a science lab which may be a four credit class.

What is the GPA requirement for admission?
It varies depending on the program. Traditionally we look for students with a 2.5 GPA, with a desired minimum of 2.3. For more information, you can call one of the transfer counselors and they can assist you in greater detail.

Is housing guaranteed for my junior and senior year?
Housing is never guaranteed, but there is a higher chance or getting housing if your deposit is sent in by May 1. Contact Residence Life for more information at (718) 990-2417.

Do I need to send letters of recommendation?
Recommendation letters are optional. We will review them but they are not needed for an admissions decision.

Is an interview required?
Interviews are not required for admission and are not a factor in an admissions decision.

Can I fax my transcript or does it have to be sent from the school?
You can fax your transcript for an admissions decision, but it would not be considered official until we receive the one from your college.

What happens if I don’t send the official transcript?
A hold would eventually be placed on your account, preventing you from registering for the following semester.

When is my bill due?
The tuition bill is due before the semester begins, but there are several different payment plans. Contact Financial Aid for more information at (718) 990-2000.

Am I considered a transfer student if I attended St. John’s in the past?
If you attended St. John’s but did not attend another institution, you would be considered a re-admit student. If you attended St. John’s, then another University, then decided to come back, you would be considered a transfer student.

Can I apply to an Associate’s Program with more than 30 credits?
No, you would have to apply for a Bachelor’s degree with 30 or more credits.

Can I be an undecided major with 30 credits?
You would need to declare a major if you have 30 or more college credits.

Are there other scholarships other than the Academic Award?
Yes we have a Phi Theta Kappa scholarship which is awarded to students who participate in the PTK Honor Society of community colleges. It is currently $2,000 a year.

How can I get involved with athletics or speak with someone from the athletics department?
Contact (718) 990-1433 and they can assist you. To speak with a specific coach/department, please visit Red Storm Sports site.

What is the process to apply if I attended St. John’s in the past and would like to come back?
You need to complete a re-admit application.  If you have attended another college or university, you must complete a transfer application.  You must also supply us with a written statement of activity detailing what you have been doing since you were last enrolled in school.  You can apply online.

How do I log into my UIS account online?
Your User ID for UIS is your official St. John's ID number, starting with a capital "X". Your PIN number is your six-digit date of birth.

Is there an Open House for transfers?
We have an open house in the Fall, and other events held in the Spring. Visit our Transfer web site to see upcoming events or on-site days on campus.

What is an On-site day?
An on-site day is when you can come to campus for an on-the-spot decision. You would need to apply online prior to entering, and bring transcripts from every college you’ve attended. Also, we would need your high school transcripts if you have less than 60 college credits. You would get a decision that day, and a scholarship if eligible.

If I am rejected from my program of choice, can I eventually transfer into it?
For certain programs, you can apply for an internal transfer for the program you originally applied for after completing a year of credits at the University. You can speak with one of the transfer counselors for more information.

Do I get a laptop as a transfer student?
Yes, you can choose your laptop after paying the registration deposit. You would need to graduate in order to keep the laptop.