Applying for Graduate Study
Admission to a graduate degree program at St. John's is based on our assessment of a candidate's ability to successfully pursue graduate study. Our office works with the Deans to carefully consider every applicant's academic record, recommendation letters, scores on appropriate standardized tests and other factors that reflect a student's academic potential and motivation for successful graduate study.
Admission to a graduate degree program at St. John's does not guarantee advancement to degree candidacy. Additional requirements must be met before students are considered degree candidates. We ask every graduate applicant to provide the following items for admission consideration:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- include a current resume or curriculum vitae with the graduate admission application.
Evidence of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- including official transcripts from each institution attended.
Two letters of recommendation
- from instructors in the proposed area of specialization or other qualified individuals as designated by the school, division, or program to which the candidate is applying.(requirements may differ for some programs)
- An essay describing your reason for pursuing graduate study and leadership objectives in 300 to 350 words. Your statement of goals should briefly, but meaningfully, introduce yourself and describe what you hope to achieve by earning a graduate degree at St. John's. For example, applicants may address such topics as why they chose St. John's, what professional steps they plan to take after earning their degree, and the way that they can contribute to the graduate community if accepted.
Three letters of recommendation from the following programs
- Audiology, Speech Pathology, PhD Biology, MA English, DA English (2 must be academic), DA History, MA General Psychology, MS School Psychology, MS Pharmacy Administration, PhD Pharmeceutical Sciences, MPH Public Health
Three to five letters of recommendation for the following programs
- PhD Clinical Psychology, PsyD School Psychology
Lab and Term Paper
- MA General Experimental Psychology, MS School Psychology, PsyD School Psychology, PhD Clinical Psychology
- MA English, DA English, DA History
Official results of performance on standardized tests
- as appropriate to the requirements specific to the particular school, division or program
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Applicants must earn satisfactory GRE General Exam scores and supply official GRE scores directly from ETS to the Office of Graduate Admission. School official testing code is 2799.
The following programs require the GRE:
|MS Biology (General only)|
MS School Psychology*
PhD Clinical Psychology*
PsyD School Psychology*
EdD Instructional Leadership
MSEd School Counselor
Adv. Crt School Counselor
MA General and Experimental Psychology*
|PhD Biology (General)|
MS Biological and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
(General and Subject: Biochemistry, Chemistry, or Cell and Molecular Biology)
All Pharmacy and Health Sciences Programs
MSEd School Counselor with Bilingual Extension
MSEd Clinical Mental Health Counseling
EdD Educational Administration and Supervision
|*Non-Psychology holders must take both the General and Subject GRE for the Psychology programs.|
Evidence that conditions or requirements specific to the school, division or program have been met.
Supporting documentation for your Graduate application can be uploaded directly through our Online Application. If necessary, documents can also be submitted to the following addresses:
Graduate Admission Processing Service Center
St. John’s University
P.O. Box 811
Randolph, MA 02368-0811
Note: UPS and Fed Ex will not deliver materials to the Processing Center’s PO Box.
If you are an international student applying to St. John's, please send application materials to the following address:
International Graduate Admission
St. John’s University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Newman Hall, Room 106
Queens, NY 11439
We invite you to apply online, request an application or contact our Offices of Graduate Admission directly.
Once again, thank you for your interest in graduate study at St. John's. We look forward to receiving your application.