To augment these programs, the Division of Computer Science,
Mathematics and Science offers internships with a number of
local companies. These internships are non-paid work experience in
an area allied to the student’s major, for which academic credit is
Internships provide an excellent introduction to the
professional experience in the Information Technology field.
Internships are supervised work experiences in various companies
for qualified students in their junior or senior year. Students may
earn three to six credits by interning.
Internships have also been offered by many excellent companies
- Fairchild Publications Inc.
- Rehabilitation Life Insurance Company of America
- Metropolitan Transit Authority
- Port Authority of New York
- Merrill Lynch
- Simon & Schuster
- Open to juniors and seniors of all majors
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for a three-credit
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 for a six-credit
- Three-credit internships require 112 hours of work during
- Six-credit internships require 224 hours of work during the
- Student’s major index must be at least 2.50 in either case
Students apply for internship positions with the offering
companies and interview for the job, which in itself is a valuable
experience. During the course of an assignment, the student is
required to keep a daily log of activities and, at the end of the
assignment, to produce a reflection report.
To view all current internship postings, please visit St. John’s
CareerLink. To do so, log into your St. John’s Central
account, select the Career/Internships tab, and then click on the
CareerLink banner. Please note that Academic Internships must
be approved by CPS prior to the experience.
Chair, Division of Computer Science, Mathematics, and Science