The purpose of the sport management program is to prepare
graduates to manage a variety of diversified responsibilities in
the business of sport at the professional, collegiate, secondary
school or the community level, both globally and nationally.
Integrating academic theory with the internship program provides
students with the skills and practical experience needed for
successful administration of a sport program.
The program of study is based on the curricular standards set
forth by the North American Society for Sport Management. Seven
“Common Professional Components” should be adequately covered
within the content of undergraduate sport management programs; our
curriculum is designed to meet or exceed the minimum requirement in
each topic area.
After completing the program, students will be able to:
- Critically evaluate the social, psychological and international
foundations of sport: SPM 1001 (Principles, Philosophy, and
Organization of Sport); SPM 1025 (Sociology of Sport).
- Demonstrate competency in the management and leadership
dimensions of sport: MGT 1001 (Principles of Management); SPM 1001,
SPM 1004 (Managerial Aspects of Sport Management); SPM 1006
(Seminar in Sport Administration); SPM 1014 (Stadium and Arena
- Analyze the role of ethics in sport management: PHI 1020
(Ethics); SPM 1001; SPM 1004; SPM 1010 (Legal Aspects of Sport
- Prepare effective sport marketing and communication materials:
MKT 1001 (Principles of Marketing); ENG 1006 (Business Writing);
SPM 1022 (Sport Marketing); SPM 1018 (Public and Media Relations in
- Apply the principles of finance, accounting, and economics to
the sport industry: ACC 1007 (Fundamentals of Accounting I); ECO
1001 (Principles of Economics I); ECO 1002 (Principles of Economics
II); SPM 1032 (The Economics of Sport).
- Assess the impact of the law on the sport industry: BLW 1001
(Law and Business); SPM 1010.
- Complete an integrative sport management experience, such as:
- Strategic Management/Policy: MGT 1001, SPM 1004, SPM 1006.
- Internship: SPM 1007 and/or SPM 1020 and/or SPM 1021 (Sport
- Capstone experience : SPM 1006.