The central goal of the A.S. degree in Computer Science in the
College of Professional Studies is to prepare students either to
enter the job market or to move on to a 4-year degree program
leading to the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with the
Business Option, or to another related 4-year degree program at St.
The program will prepare graduates
Demonstrate understanding of the
fundamental concepts and principles underlying the discipline of
- Demonstrate knowledge of the physical and logical principles
that determine how computers work.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the basic mathematics employed in
- Explain the key logical constructs that underlie all computer
Demonstrate analytical skills necessary to
apply the fundamentals of computer science to the solution of
problems within a technical environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, explain, and apply
fundamental structured programming techniques
- Apply mathematical concepts to technical problem solving
- Develop computer programs using procedural programming
- Demonstrate critical thinking and communication skills required
in a technical environment.